• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Quinoa

snowangel

I have just received something like 4 pounds of organic quinoa. Several of my cookbooks have suggestions, but thought I should go to the experts first.

Suggestions, please. My kitchen is small. I don't have much storage space.

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

Quinoa, the mystical grain of the Incas, is a fantastic grain, high in protein. Beautiful to grow as well, with coloured feathery seed heads. It has an interesting "nutty" taste.

The seed is naturally covered with bitter soap like saponins, so before using be sure to wash well in cold water and drain. Then treat it a bit like rice. Put it in a pan with twice as much water, and some salt, and cook until the water is adsorbed, and the grain transparent, except of a little spiral of the shoot.

Use the cooked grain like rice or kasha, as a side dish, or as the base of a salad. Combines well with potato (both from the Andes, or you can make patties and fry...

Well worth the space in your kitchen, but it won't be there long....

Edited by jackal10 (log)

Lucky you! I really like this grain. I've used it in pilafs and in salads.

The October issue of Martha Stewart Living has a great article on quinoa and includes recipes. Some recipes are also on her website. There are recipes for quinoa-apple salad with curry dressing, quinoa-turkey patties in pita with tahini sauce (quinoa falafel?), quinoa and mushroom pilaf, quinoa cookies, herbed quinoa, and a couple of other quinoa salads.

If you toast the quinoa in the pan before adding the water or stock for cooking, it will have a really nice nutty flavor.

There's a recipe in (of all places) the New Joy of Cooking that I really like (made it last night in fact). You halve acorn squashes, scoop out the seeds and bake until tender. Meanwhile, you saute 1/2 c. chopped onions in 1 T butter, then add 1/2 c. rinsed quinoa and stir till toasted. Add 1 c. chicken broth, bring to a boil and cover and simmer for about 15 minutes, or until the quinoa has absorbed the broth. You add chopped toasted hazelnuts, chopped parsley, parmesan cheese and some of the cooked squash, diced, and serve it in the acorn halves.

The seed is naturally covered with bitter soap like saponins, so before using be sure to wash well in cold water and drain. Then treat it  a bit like rice. Put it in a pan with twice as much water, and some salt, and cook until the water is adsorbed, and the grain transparent, except of a little spiral of the shoot.

I would add that when I treated quinoa a bit like couscous, by steaming it after it cooked in water for a while, I got better results than when I just cooked in water. It was very fluffy and every grain separated. Here is the recipe link from Epicurious (skip the added herb if you want and add whatever else strikes your fancy):

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/recipe_views/views/106587

It's very cool stuff, fun to cook with. I used to get paid in kind by my part-time employer in Halifax, which meant literally all the organic grains and produce we could eat. I really enjoyed the opportunity to play with quinoa and other less-common "grains." My kids really got a kick out of the little "snap" texture you get with quinoa, even when it's a little overcooked (easy to do, the first couple of times. Bake with it, if that happens).

I found that I really liked it in combination with cornmeal. Soak some cornmeal overnight in milk, add an equal quantity of cooked quinoa, and make waffles. Mmmmmm..... Or use the same proportions in a yeasted bread (use your usual bread recipe, use 20-30% corn/quinoa to flour; add a little fat if you go with the higher number). Soaking the corn overnight keeps the bread from being dry, and the combination of cornmeal and quinoa gives a beautifully crisp crust.

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

• 2 years later...

I recently tried quinoa and I like it! What's an easy way to wash it before cooking? My colanders, strainers, etc. all have holes/slots too big that they let the quinoa through. I'm thinking about washing it in a big pot then straining it through a coffee filter.

Another big fan of quinoa here!

After sauteeing some onions and garlic in a little olive oil, I'll add the rinsed and drained quinoa into the pan, add the appropriate amount of chicken stock and some dried thyme, and cook until done. Then I might add a little bit of lemon juice and salt and pepper and it is always a very lovely side dish.

Flickr: Link

Instagram: Link

Twitter: Link

Anyboday know how to make quinoa as a breakfast cereal? Is it simply a matter of toasting it?

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

Anyboday know how to make quinoa as a breakfast cereal? Is it simply a matter of toasting it?

Toasting grains is not easy... my simpler solution is to simply dump them in hot oil.. I tried twice with quinoa and it worked ok although the result was probably a bit too crispy for breakfast cereals.

Toasting grains is not easy... my simpler solution is to simply dump them in hot oil.. I tried twice with quinoa and it worked ok although the result was probably a bit too crispy for breakfast cereals.

I toasted amaranth on a comal in Mexico. You are right. It is not easy! :biggrin:

I had some wonderful toasted quinoa for breakfast mixed with yoghurt most mornings while touring Peru. I loved it.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

I toast sesame seeds in a non-stick pan on the stove. Why not do the same with quinoa? Or just stick them on a pan in the oven?

Because these seeds are very hard... you want them to puff a little bit like pop corn to have them as breakfast cereals.

I've made this curried couscous salad many times subbing the quinoa for a client that can't eat wheat.  She absolutly raves about it.

Cali --

That recipe looks very good. I'm assuming you sub in 1 1/2 cups of cooked quinoa for the couscous? Or would you up it a little higher since the 1 1/2 cups of couscous is measured before the soaking in the water (since 1 1/2 cups of unsoaked couscous does not equal 1 1/2 cup soaked couscous)?

Tino

Flickr: Link

Instagram: Link

Twitter: Link

I love quinoa, for cooking suggestions, i treat it like a rice or couscous. I love it with some minced garlic, mushrooms, green onions and parmesean, I am always looking for new ways to use it. My next experiment is stuffing tomatos with it and i want to try a paella using quinoa instead of rice, dont know how it will turn out, but quinoa is definitely my new fun to experiment food lately.

The first time I tried quinoa it took forever to cook to a tender state. So I threw out that package and bought another brand, which cooked to doneness in one third the time. I suggest you cook a small portion your first time to get a feel for how it will respond when you need it for something important.

Since then, I don't care enough about it to search it out.

Ray

The mighty Q - It is a food of the past and more importantly of the future!

The quinoa at our local bulk place is really delicious, just rinse that skin off first.

Peter Gamble aka "Peter the eater"

I just made a cornish game hen with chestnut stuffing. . .

Would you believe a pigeon stuffed with spam? . . .

Would you believe a rat filled with cough drops?

Moe Sizlack

You can also treat it like arborio. I have made "quinottos" in this way, although I usually add some fresh corn to add a little starch to the mix. Start with onion, garlic and butter, sweat, add corn, sweat, add WELL rinsed quinoa, toast, stock of choice(corn stock works well), stir and cook until tender. This is usually about a twenty minute process.

Ryan Jaronik

Executive Chef

Monkey Town

NYC

• 3 years later...

Reviving this thread since Quinoa became my new go to grain. I've never really liked rice and this make a great substitute.

I enjoyed the white/yellow variety and just now got the red quinoa. Anyone try this variety? I also saw a black quinoa.

Grace

Grace Piper, host of Fearless Cooking

www.fearlesscooking.tv

My eGullet Blog: What I ate for one week Nov. 2010

Subscribe to my 5 minute video podcast through iTunes, just search for Fearless Cooking

I have recently "discovered" quinoa, too. It is delightful! It's worked very well as a filler/substitute for breadcrumbs, etc. in meatloaf (venison loaf actually.) I'm glad to have found this thread, and looking forward to using these suggestions to get to know this fascinating ingredient.

Corinna Heinz, aka Corinna

Check out my adventures, culinary and otherwise at http://corinnawith2ns.blogspot.com/

Corinna

I used it as a stuffing flavored side recently.

Sauteed minced onion, carrot, celery in more butter than I should have used :), stirred in cooked quino and my seasoning I use for thanksgiving stuffing.

Can't remember the name of the poultry seasoning. It's a little box with a turkey on it.

So good.

Grace

Grace Piper, host of Fearless Cooking

www.fearlesscooking.tv

My eGullet Blog: What I ate for one week Nov. 2010

Subscribe to my 5 minute video podcast through iTunes, just search for Fearless Cooking

I know this quinoa is an old post, but I have a recipe for quinoa burgers.It is simple. Okay not that simple. I do a lot of meatless cooking, my clientel is comprised of vegans and it is challenging. I make vegetable stock almost every day. I use this stock as the base for a lot of things.

I use red quinoa and cook it in the stock instead of water. I use a cup of dry quinoa.

Since the soup was made with potatoes, clelry, parsnip, onion, garlic and whatever else sounds good, I save the vegies and make a patty, combining the quinoa. I use potato starch, bread crumbs, or flour (not a lot) to bind it together and then saute the patties in a little oil.

The trick is use a medium heat, and not touch the burgers for 5 MINUTES. This insures that the patties will not fall apart. Then saute on the other side. When I make the patties, I usually add spices, like garlic poweder, onion poweder, whatever the mood. Because the patties are savory, I put a little apricot jam on the side. Everyone loves it.

always make lemonade out of lemons