• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Azucar in Edgewater?

richl2214

Love the very cigar friendly idea of this place. I do enjoy a cigar and will smoke at the table if allowed. I have heard some great things about thier food. Anyone have any experience with this Cuban place? Any menu suggestions for me?

"My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them." ~Winston Churchill

Morels- God's gift to the unworthy human species

Cigar smoke doesn't bother me, that's the main reason I'm planning on going.

Let's keep this thread about the food, not the smoke.

"My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them." ~Winston Churchill

WEll--I obviously wasn't thrilled with the food either. But it was a long time ago. In any case, ambiance is part of the dining experience.

Cigar smoke doesn't bother me, that's the main reason I'm planning on going. 

Let's keep this thread about the food, not the smoke.

Rosalie Saferstein, aka "Rosie"

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

Food was lousy, no cigars when we went. Wouldn't want to bear with that traffic to eat there again anyway...

"It's better to burn out than to fade away"-Neil Young

"I think I hear a dingo eating your baby"-Bart Simpson

Well that's two thumbs down on the food. Sounds like it's not worth the trip or traffic. The prices seemed high too. Thanks for the input.

Went to Azucar a few years ago. The food was ok (not great), but what really turned us off was the service by the owner. As we were seated eating our main course, something started to drip from the ceiling onto our heads & plates. It wasn't water - it was a greasy substance. When we called it to the owner's attention, she simply asked us to rearrange ourselves somewhat at the table. We asked for another table and asked to have our food replace. She was very nasty and refused. Her solution was to offer us free desserts, which we did not want. Obviously, we never went back.

www.cookstour.netMy Blog

I'm surprised about the service issues--they do sound disappointing. I've been there a couple of times (probably earlier than typical cigar hours) and never had a problem with the food or the service. I thought it was a bit less expensive than similar restaurants in Edgewater. I really liked the appetizers, and the braised-type stews were pleasant.

Thanks for the heads up Tommy. I'll have to check them out oo.

• 3 weeks later...

Will be going tonight. I'll give a report in the next couple of days.

I had a chance to go here on Saturday night. We arrived about 9pm with two bottles of chianti in tow since it is BYO. Valet parking to my suprise cost $5. However, for the convenience it is more than worth it vs. trying to find a spot around there.

The place was smaller than I expected and we were told our wait would be about 10 minutes which it was. If you don't like smoke at all do not go here. Smoking cigars is encouraged and many were smoking right at the table after their meals. Smoke was a huge factor although it doesn't bother us at all, someone that is even slightly annoyed or sensitive about it wqill absolutely hate this place.

The place is noisy and bustling but I'd expect that from an authentic Cuban place. People were having a great time!

Appetizers:

We ordered the Chicharron de Pollo $9 - lime marinated morsels of chicken on the bone that were fantastic. Very tender, fell right off the bone. The marinade was awesome and complemented the chicken perfect!

Beef Empanadas $6- two large empanadas fried to perfection loaded with tender ground beef and potatos. Served with a lime/lemon, buttery dipping sauce. They were excellent and not greasy at all.

Dinner:

She had the Grilled Pork Chops- $26(?) two huge pork chops, one was double cut. Served with a pyramid of Morro rice and beans. I thought is was overcooked and somewhat dry. The server suggested to have them cooked medium. They were more like medium well.

I had the Whole Red Snapper- $27(?) broiled and coated with a lime adobo rub. FANTASTIC! It came on a bed of thin slice potatoes that were in a slightly sour sauce. There was a warning on the menu that it would take 30 minutes to cook to order. It was wortt the wait!

Dessert:

homemade rice pudding and two Cuban coffees(espresso). the rice pudding was made more on the sticky and chunky side. I liked it, my girlfriend said it was "OK"

After dinner we retreated upstairs to the cigar lounge and I smoked a Cuban Trinidad Fundadore while finishing up our wine. She smoked a smaller vanilla flavored CAO cigar. Nice big deep leather lounge couches and chairs. very comfy. They will serve you dessert/coffe upstairs too.

I would definitely go back. I think the appetizers are where they seem to shine but this is only my first visit. I would definitely recommend the snapper. All dinner plates were very generously sized.

I would also add that unlike a lot of Cuban places the food here is not greasy at all. Ive been to Zafra which is ok, but not nearly as good and much greasier than Azucar. I would put this place on par with La Isla, very close call here, but MAYBE a small tick below it. For non-smoker/smoke haters its a no brainer, stick with La Isla.

Edited by richl2214 (log)

I would put this place on par with La Isla, very close call here, but MAYBE a small tick below it. For non-smoker/smoke haters its a no brainer, stick with La Isla.

Sounds as if the price difference also makes it a no brainer... if it's a tick below La Isla why pay the prices of this place (yeah, i understand atmosphere as La Isla isnt' much to look at)

Thanks for the report.