• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Romantic Proposal Dinner

creaton

I'm in the midst of planning a wonderful evening to propose to my girlfriend... who happens to be a vegetarian! In terms of dinner plans, I'm trying to find places that we've never been so it'll be a new experience for both of us. I've narrowed my choices down to Cafe Atlantico, Nora, or Tosca. All of which seem to get good reviews. Any suggestions?? I'm most excited about Cafe Atlantico, but they seem to be the least accomodating for vegetarians.

In terms of places to propose.. I'm thinking about Jefferson Memorial or this scenic overview of DC downtown from some point near arlington (between Iwa Jima Memorial and Netherlands Carillon).

Thanks!

I have never been to Nora, but would recommend CA over Tosca. Tosca certainly is the more special-occasion-type restaurant, and the food is out of this world, but it is a very subdued dining room. It doesn't have the festive/celebratory vibe I suspect you want. I say this because I proposed to my wife in a suite at the Hotel Monaco, and then went to dinner at the Oval Room. Food and wine were terrific, as was the staff, but in retrospect we might have enjoyed a more upbeat room. CA certainly is festive.

Edited to say Congratulations@! btw

Edited by DCatty (log)
Save Pale Male <--- GO HERE!

This is exactly where service comes into play. Call Jarad at Nectar or Sebastian at Komi and see what they could do for you. For something like this? You might be surprised - maybe they'll hide the ring in a flowered carrot, who knows.

Rocks.

Congratulations!

Nothing really constructive to say, as I don't eat out much OR get proposed to often, but I just wanted to tell this story: When I was seventeen, I hostessed at Red Sage while going to MD. I saw a man pop the question one night - they did the old ring-in-a-champagne flute thing, but the (lovely) lady was quite tipsy already, and gulped down the glass of champagne before the man could get one word out. He panicked and asked her if she'd swallowed the ring - she promptly threw up on the table. Never did find out if they found the ring.

As I recall, Restaurant Eve has some kind of sugar-spun box presentation deal for the ring (looks very pretty on the web page). Cathal and Todd are usually very accommodating, so I would give them a call and see what they can come up with re: the menu and ring thing.

Resident Twizzlebum

Congratulations!

Nothing really constructive to say, as I don't eat out much OR get proposed to often, but I just wanted to tell this story:  When I was seventeen, I hostessed at Red Sage while going to MD.  I saw a man pop the question one night - they did the old ring-in-a-champagne flute thing, but the (lovely) lady was quite tipsy already, and gulped down the glass of champagne before the man could get one word out.  He panicked and asked her if she'd swallowed the ring - she promptly threw up on the table.  Never did find out if they found the ring.

What I want to know is: did she accept? Boy, if a man can still love you after a front-row seating at the performance of your barfing routine...sign me up.

Edited by Nadya (log)

Resident Twizzlebum

Not sure how you'd maneuver her into the place (maybe under the guise of catching a free show at the Millenium Stage but the terrace on the top floor of the Kennedy Center has long been known among GW students as great spot for a cheap date, as the view is so spectacular. Make sure it's open, first.

There may be too much construction, at this moment, but the coolest place to be at sunset in Washington is directly behind the Lincoln Memorial, looking over the river, the Rosalyn skyline and the Eternal Flame.

Both of these spots put you within walking distance of Nectar.

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

Nothing says 'I love you' like seeing your loved one upchuck...and not feeling a desire to run away.

Nothing says "You know what? Turns out I don't love you" like seeing your "loved" one upchuck...and sneaking home before he comes out of the bathroom.

Sigh, Topic: this link is good for general ideas, while this is Tom Sietsema's piece on proposing in DC restaurants. It's old, but an interesting read nonetheless (odd that I can't find it on post.com, and had to resort to a google search to find a wire pickup)

Edited by eunny jang (log)

Congrats! And good luck! I'd go for Nora for the restaurant and then the Jefferson Memorial for the proposal. Oh, and skip the hiding the ring in cake/champagne business. As with this and any other wedding plans -- keep in mind that the proposal/wedding isn't what makes the marriage. Keep your perspective!

Bridget Avila

My Blog

Skip Nora. It's not vegetarian, just certified organic. And usually the only vegetarian entree is some risotto of sorts. And that's it -- only one veggie choice, which may have your soon-to-be fiancee feeling limited. They have a vegetarian tasting menu, but again, you don't have anything to choose from.

Tosca might work better considering they have lots of pasta choices without meat.

I ditto the idea of calling ahead to see what the restaurant can do for you.

Amanda

Metrocurean, a D.C. restaurant and food blog

Congratulations!

Nothing really constructive to say, as I don't eat out much OR get proposed to often, but I just wanted to tell this story:  When I was seventeen, I hostessed at Red Sage while going to MD.  I saw a man pop the question one night - they did the old ring-in-a-champagne flute thing, but the (lovely) lady was quite tipsy already, and gulped down the glass of champagne before the man could get one word out.  He panicked and asked her if she'd swallowed the ring - she promptly threw up on the table.  Never did find out if they found the ring.

Great story.. haha...that's exactly my fear.. As much much of a foodie as I am, and would love to hide the ring in the food, I just know that somehow the ring would end up down the shoot!

I too love the Nectar or Eve idea.

That box at Eve is stunning. I wouldn't mind receiving a ring in that someday :wub:

One thought that keeps coming to mind as I read all the posts is that unless you do this very soon it may be too cold to do anything outside. Nothing ruins a proposal like a guy who is down on one knee but can't get the ring on because he is shivering too much.

True Heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic.

It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost,

but the urge to serve others at whatever cost. -Arthur Ashe

Nothing ruins a proposal like a guy who is down on one knee but can't get the ring on because he is shivering too much.

Are you talking about an engagement ring?

Ah!

Maybe you can try Michel Richard Lounge formerly known as The Bar At Citronelle. I'd bet dollars to Komi-doughnuts (take the Komi doughnuts) that they could whip up a vegetarian plate for a pre-engagement dinner (although there might be a one-carrot minimum (sorry)), and at less money than you might think, too.

And then you could walk down 30th Street to the Harbor (or pogo-stick over the mule crottes on the Canal towpath), tiptoeing around the kitschy J. Seward Johnson sculpture of the Lifelike Businessman, or continuing on that leit-motif, just drive down to The Awakening at Haines Point and climb the jungle gym.

Mighty Sommelier, maybe you could send a PM?

Nuptials,

Rocks.

Thanks everyone for all the advice!!... Everything worked out great!.. I ended up proposing in front of Jefferson Memorial last night.... And YES, she did say yes.. and I think jefferson approved too.. It was a surprise for the most part (she started to wonder what was going on when the taxi was going towards Jefferson memorial instead of the restaurant I told her we were going towards:).

We ended up going to Tosca which was excellent.. Our favorite dish was "Raviolini ripieni di polpa di pomodoro biologico alla salsa cremosa al pesto di basilico"

Now that I've moved to DC, I cannot wait to explore all this new restaurant scence.

Yeah, nice one mate. I chose the Lincoln memorial myself, but you can't go wrong with either on a beautiful fall night. All that shining marble and high sentiment, the moon over ruffled water, the faint tang of goose poop carried on the wind. You probably had a better dinner beforehand though, as we went to Kinkeads. Didn't know any better back then. Best of luck, anyway. Don't forget to be fruitful.

"Mine goes off like a rocket." -- Tom Sietsema, Washington Post, Feb. 16.

We ended up going to Tosca which was excellent.. Our favorite dish was "Raviolini ripieni di polpa di pomodoro biologico alla salsa cremosa al pesto di basilico"

Congratulations, creaton, and how appropriate that you'd go to Tosca given that Cesare will be a guest in our forum this week.

In case people here don't speak so much Italian, let me at least help with the translation of your favorite dish.

Raviolini ripieni di polpa di pomodoro biologico alla salsa cremosa al pesto di basilico, translates to Little raviolis di polpa di pomodoro biologico alla salsa cremosa al pesto di basilico.

What's the difference between creaton's lovely bride-to-be and DonRocks?

One got hit on at the Jefferson Memorial; the other got shit on at the Jefferson Memorial - the last time I was there in a group outing was the only time a pigeon ever took revenge on me for eating his relatives, with a direct assault bullseye full-force hit on my black leather jacket.

Committing fashion atrocities everywhere I go,

Rocks.

Raviolini ripieni di polpa di pomodoro biologico alla salsa cremosa al pesto di basilico, translates to Little raviolis di polpa di pomodoro biologico alla salsa cremosa al pesto di basilico.

That was a pretty lame translation. Technology to the rescue! The dish you ate was in fact:

"Raviolini fillings of polpa of biological tomato to the cremosa sauce to I step on of basil"

Congradulations! Jefferson must have been a great spot!

Edited by Chef Shogun (log)

Matt Robinson

Prep for dinner service, prep for life! A Blog