• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Bye-bye Blue Laws

bloviatrix

Yeah. My weird experience shortl after moving into Bergen County...  I headed up to the register on a Sunday morning and was told, among other things, that I could buy the soap but not the towels, the cookies but not the bookshelves....  and all the whil a guy is at the register next to me buying a half gallon of Jack Daniels.

likely somewhat of an exception as i don't know of any liquor stores in bergen county that sell before noon on sunday. although i don't know of a place that sells JD and towels and cookies. sounds like my kind of place though. :biggrin:

again, the bergen county blue laws keep truckin' because of the desire of many to keep traffic down. traffic due to liquor sales is probably not too serious a problem. i'd say that if it were, bergen county would have far bigger problems. :laugh:

• 2 years later...

As far as I know, it was always legal to have a beer with your dim dum on Sunday morning (or at least for the last 30+ years). The blue laws applied mainly to retail liquor sales.

We're actually still saddled with stupid laws about retail liquor sales, like the fact that liquor stores can't sell beer.

--