• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Russel's BBQ ?Euro Cafe

elfin

Went to Russel's BBQ located on Algonquin Rd by Route 53 in Rolling Meadows-just south of the Holiday Inn. The place boasts that they have been doing bbq for 80 years. Somehow I missed the place despite taking that road daily for a year or so. The exterior is a tudor style -not many windows- with an outdoor garden. But the inside is self service with many seperate rooms of tables. Plenty of BBQ options-bbq beef, pulled pork, ribs, chicken etc. Really cheap and plenty of beer on tap. The bbq sauce is not spicy-more of the sweet variety but tasty. There is a take out counter. A bbq beef sandwich (med. size meat portion) with lots of fries and coleslaw (tiny slaw portion) is $4.85. Family friendly-the high chairs came sani-wrapped. I recommend it if you are in the area.

Went to Euro Cafe also on Algonquin Road but in Des Plaines. (Between Mt. Prospect Rd and Wolf Rd.) Serving Bosnian food. Sweet Willie mentioned this place a while back. Went there early Sat. morning and had wonderful burak-pastry dough stuffed with meat/onion mixture or cheese. A bit greasy but hubby says that is how it is. He had the bosnian sausages on a homebaked roll-yummy! Friendly service but english is limited. Menu is translated. Wanted the goulash but only available at lunch/dinner. So it obviously is prepared fresh. Next door is a bosnian deli/butcher selling various sausages and meats as well as canned/jarred goods. The butcher did not seem interested in serving us since he ignored eye contact and continued to speak on the cell phone.

What disease did cured ham actually have?

Megan sandwich: White bread, Miracle Whip and Italian submarine dressing. {Megan is 4 y.o.}

Went to Russel's BBQ located on Algonquin Rd by Route 53 in Rolling Meadows-just south of the Holiday Inn. The place boasts that they have been doing bbq for 80 years.

Ahh, Russell's Barbecue. This place is an institution. Glad you were able to feast here, elfin. I have not been to the one is Rolling Meadows, but one should take a trip to its original location in Elmwood Park (1621 N. Thatcher Ave.). It's like going back in time.

There is a really cool "back in time" quality to Russell's (at least at the original Elmwood Park location - think kitschy 1950s-style wagon-wheel chandeliers), but the sad truth is that my memories of the place are better than the present-day realities of the food. I so want to like this place more. I find the beef and pork to be dry, and the portions on the sandwiches are quite small. Mediocre french fries get soggy really fast, and the cole slaw is rather boring - vinegar-based variety without much flavor.

Other than that I love it! :rolleyes:

I wonder if the reason that I have missed seeing Russells is that the Rolling Meadows location is newer-ie since 1984 or so and the 80 year history is for the other location. I recommend it since that Golf Road/Algonquin Road/Wilke Road area basically has only chain food places and this is different. Plus, 5 bucks for a bbq sandwhich is pretty cheap. I was just in Oklahoma City and ate some AWESOME bbq- smokey, big portions and tangy sauce. But the pulled pork sandwich was around 7 bucks with a side.

Megan sandwich: White bread, Miracle Whip and Italian submarine dressing. {Megan is 4 y.o.}

Russell's truly has to be the most disgusting BBQ i've ever eaten, period. Dry chopped roast pork on a big bun with that sauce reeking of allspice- tasteless. The beef is nothing more than "rainbow beef" with that same crap they call sauce. We went a coupla months ago and i was actually embarrased that i was eating such garbage. I can make a better sandwich with a tub of BBQ from the grocery, with some KFC slaw on top. I suggest no one waste their money at this dump. Sorry, but it's the truth. Two thumbs down to Russell's! BTW i'm a former Memphian... :wub:

Sorry, but it's the truth. Two thumbs down to Russell's! BTW i'm a former Memphian... :wub:

Your opinion is duly noted :biggrin:

=R=

"Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!" --The Dude, The Big Lebowski

LTHForum.com -- The definitive Chicago-based culinary chat site

ronnie_suburban 'at' yahoo.com

Russell's truly has to be the most disgusting BBQ i've ever eaten, period. Dry chopped roast pork on a big bun with that sauce reeking of allspice- tasteless. The beef is nothing more than "rainbow beef" with that same crap they call sauce. We went a coupla months ago and i was actually embarrased that i was eating such garbage. I can make a better sandwich with a tub of BBQ from the grocery, with some KFC slaw on top. I suggest no one waste their money at this dump. Sorry, but it's the truth. Two thumbs down to Russell's! BTW i'm a former Memphian... :wub:

Tell us how you really feel!

I understand your points. It's really not authentic BBQ. I remember it used to be much better. I'm not sure if they changed hands - this could be the case.

Edited by gmi3804 (log)

Tell us how you really feel!

I understand your points.  It's really not authentic BBQ.  I remember it used to be much better.  I'm not sure if they changed hands - this could be the case.

My wife used to rave about Russell's. When she finally ended up taking me there I felt very let down by it. Sure, it was ok--maybe even better than some other stuff that was available locally (e.g. Carson's)--but it just did not scratch the itch for me the way NC, KC, TX or Memphis BBQ did. For all the meat we process in Chicago, I find our BBQ somewhat lacking.

=R=

And a present S Carolinian (part time) :cool: What they're doing at Russell's is just baking pork in the oven, abslolutely no smoke flavor whatsoever, and chopping it into sawdust. The baked beans tasted like they opened a can of Van Camps and dumped em in a pot. It truly boggles my mind how such a place can remain in business, but after eyeing their clientele i guess i could figur it out. Sorry Elfin for blasting on your post. :wacko: , but around Arl Hts here, try Bobby Q's up on Rand. He smokes his pork etc, but still hasn't really gotten the knack of a good sandwich. We're going to the fish fry at Eddie's Arl Hts IL tonight, so check it out, it's gooood-they even have a pulled pork sandwich (KCMP), but some awfully good Ruebens, and Thousand Island Sandwiches "Marshall Field's Special". One of these days i'm gonna shoot over to Hecky's in Evanston for a good sandwich-i think. I'll shut up now. :laugh:

And a present S Carolinian (part time) :cool: What they're doing at Russell's is just baking pork in the oven, abslolutely no smoke flavor whatsoever, and chopping it into sawdust. The baked beans tasted like they opened a can of Van Camps and dumped em in a pot. It truly boggles my mind how such a place can remain in business, but after eyeing their clientele i guess i could figur it out. Sorry Elfin for blasting on your post. :wacko: , but around Arl Hts here, try Bobby Q's up on Rand. He smokes his pork etc, but still hasn't really gotten the knack of a good sandwich. We're going to the fish fry at Eddie's Arl Hts IL tonight, so check it out, it's gooood-they even have a pulled pork sandwich (KCMP), but some awfully good Ruebens, and Thousand Island Sandwiches "Marshall Field's Special". One of these days i'm gonna shoot over to Hecky's in Evanston for a good sandwich-i think. I'll shut up now. :laugh:

I agree, the smoke's the thing and you can smell it when you even get blocks away from Hecky's. I'm not a big fan of Hecky's sauce, but his meat items all have that distinctive pink smoke ring. You can't fake that...well, you probably can, but you know what I mean...and please, don't shut-up :wink::biggrin:

=R=

My wife used to rave about Russell's.  When she finally ended up taking me there I felt very let down by it.  Sure, it was ok--maybe even better than some other stuff that was available locally (e.g. Carson's)--but it just did not scratch the itch for me the way NC, KC, TX or Memphis BBQ did.  For all the meat we process in Chicago, I find our BBQ somewhat lacking.
What we have here is dedication. People consider Russell's an icon for Chicago que. There are not too many established (especially one that has been around for 80 years) bbq joints in the city. Regardless of taste, this place will last a long time. I think it's the aura. :unsure:

What we have here is dedication. People consider Russell's an icon for Chicago que. There are not too many established (especially one that has been around for 80 years) bbq joints in the city. Regardless of taste, this place will last a long time. I think it's the aura. :unsure:

I think it's the sense of history. Something was lost somewhere along the line, whether it was a change of ownership, recipe, or both. The ribs at Russell's are also dry and flake away from the bone like wood, even when they're drowned in the lacklustre sauce. I so want to love this place because it has so much character and history, but what's on the plate is rather dismal. :sad:

Thanks GMI, you're the BG Culvers guy right? If so, i've taken my wife there twice- she enjoyed it. Other than that i recommend Not getting married at 45 y/o for the first time. I'm divorcing after 13 months of my first marriage :shock: I truly need my life back. Bachelor life works for me, big time.

Where is Eddy's and Bobby's BBQ? I know AH pretty well-Rand and where? I had great BBQ in OK City, OK last month-lots of smoke-it was Earl's. Russels is no Earls. Hubby did not like Russel's but I thought for the price it beat the mega chains' burgers/tacos/chicken selections. I have not been to the original location.

Hey Elfin, glad you're still speaking to me :smile: Eddies is on NW hwy right across the street from the Arl Hts Metra station.It's an old place with a huge bar. Deer heads and those old flowing lighted Old Style signs too. :cool: They have a huge menu! Anything from daily specials of salisbury steak to meatloaf and corned beef and cabbage. Wed night they do a chicken or perch fry (ayce) for around nine bucks. Fri fish fry also. Great!!! perch! Excellent tartar sauce and cole slaw! Fries are pretty darn good too! Bread, crackers, butter, you know. It's a fun place. Bobby Q's is actually in Prospect Heights i think. In the shopping center behind the closed Dominicks. Dinorex is in there too. :wub: I think Rand and Olive, i don't know, i live d'town AH. You'll smell the smoke when you leave your car- even more when you enter the "non-smoking"??? building. They serve beer and wine. Just a hint, if you order a pulled pork sandwich ask them to leave the sauce off the meat. You'll have two or three choices on the table and they'll gladly bring you more. The owner did his research in Memphis, but he still has a few loose ends. Probably the closest thing to real bbq we'll find around here. He also has all the appropriate sides.Beans, slaw, cornbread etc. Go out and eat tonight and have fun! :biggrin:

Russell's truly has to be the most disgusting BBQ i've ever eaten, period.

could not agree more, not one thing redeeming about this place in my opinion.

Seriously, go elsewhere even if you have a jonesen for BBQ.

edited to add, I recently tried the original location as I figure a couple times going to the Algonquin location may not make a fair review. Sorry to say the original location was just as bad.

Edited by Sweet Willie (log)
"I did absolutely nothing and it was everything I thought it could be"

• 2 weeks later...
...One of these days i'm gonna shoot over to Hecky's in Evanston for a good sandwich-i think.
For those city dwellers, there is no need to go all the way to Evanston. See below.
...A Chicago outpost of Evanston’s barbecue stronghold, Hecky’s, opened last week at 1234 N. Halsted St. ...