• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Inexpensive Propane Torches

Richard Kilgore

I looked at the inexpensive torches at Home Depo yesterday and noticed that the basic setup has a tip that produces a pin-point flame, cost $14. For $20 there is kit with a plastic carry case, starter and three tips -- pinpoint, slightly broader tip and a spreader that make a flame an inch or so across. Both come with one Butane cylinder.

Has anyone used anything other than the basic pin-point tip? If so what effects do you get on creme brulee with the other tips? Worth getting the kit with all three?

I would just stick with the basic setup. The broad tip might be handy if you were going to do burn a lot of big items but for the occasional brulee the pinpoint is just fine. Even though they are called 'pinpoint' they still put out a decent diamater flame.

I use am Iwatani, it works awesome, google the name and it should come up

"Chocolate has no calories....

Chocolate is food for the soul, The soul has no weight, therefore no calories" so said a customer, a lovely southern woman, after consuming chocolate indulgence

SWEET KARMA DESSERTS

www.sweetkarmadesserts.com

550 East Meadow Ave. East meadow, NY 11554

516-794-4478

Brian Fishman

This is slightly OT, but does butane burn perfectly clean? I've always been concerned it might leave some petrochemical residue.

Are you sure it's butane? The torch I've got (from Home Depot) uses propane. I'm assuming it burns clean -- it's the same stuff used for gas grills. If there's residue on my creme brulees or my steaks, I haven't tasted it.

B. Keith Ryder

BCakes by BKeith

I just bought a torch, and it's definitely propane (and my Hank Hill inner voice adds, "and propane accessories"). $15 at my local mom&pop hardware store.

"I just hate health food"--Julia Child

Jennifer Garner

buttercream pastries

I think you are in good shape as long as you don't get the really small ones that they sell in the kitchen stores. What a waste. I have used both; however, the small ones don't hold enough gas.

I was once diagnosed with a split personality but we are all okay now.

Thanks for the propane clarification. Now back to the question of do the wider tips make any difference? Most seem to think it will not make a difference for creme brulee. Has anyone tried the wider spread tips? What other kitchen applications for the torches?

I just bought a torch, and it's definitely propane (and my Hank Hill inner voice adds, "and propane accessories"). $15 at my local mom&pop hardware store.

Just make sure that you don't get MAPP gas. It's usually in a yellow tank instead of blue or green (that propane is). I used to work for Bernzomatic, which manufactures the torch tips and canisters. MAPP gas is a little too hot for brulee work, IMO. Regular propane works just fine. Home Depot and Lowe's both carry kits with a trigger-start torch and fuel. Trigger-start with a temp control is my favorite torch head. I've got a closet full of them, though. I haven't tried the spreader tip. I may have to check that out, although I seem to recall it making the torch slightly more dangerous.

I actually used to do creme brulee demonstrations with those torches when I worked at contractor functions, because I thought it would be kind of stupid for me to try to do a soldering demo for plumbers. :hmmm: Plus, food and fire always attracts a crowd! I probably sold more torches for culinary purposes than for plumbing, but it sure was fun. And I agree, those little torches they sell at Williams Sonoma and such places are for weenies. I kept trying to get Bernzomatic to create a full-size torch that had a nice grip, trigger-start, and looked sleek, packaged with a fuel tank that was also sleek and black. They could have branded it under Calphalon (another division of the parent company) and made a killing selling "real" chef torches. Oh well. No one listenened to me. Their loss. :biggrin:

"First rule in roadside beet sales, put the most attractive beets on top. The ones that make you pull the car over and go 'wow, I need this beet right now'. Those are the money beets." Dwight Schrute, The Office, Season 3, Product Recall

I think you are in good shape as long as you don't get the really small ones that they sell in the kitchen stores.  What a waste.  I have used both; however, the small ones don't hold enough gas.

You aren't kidding. And they cost more that a basic propane torch at the hardware store. I guess PT Barnum was right. I am one of the suckers.

Woods

Trigger start is the word. Don't buy anything less. I just bought the last two at Sears- cause I live on an island, and brulee is on the menu, and the holidays are coming... The others: must be started with a match.

can't be turned upside down (not much help for creme brulee)

you are never sure if the gas is on or off.

My Sears is always sold out on these.

I use them to heat buttercreams, sauces, torch meringues, burn brulee, make swiss meringue, cut every cake (heat the knife)etc, etc, etc...

This is a very important tool for a Pastry Chef.

Trigger start is the word.

Word!!! :biggrin:

I love my trigger start also! Press a button, flame-o, and you're good to go.

If you work in a kitchen with unsavory co-workers, you may even need to hide it

when you aren't using it. I've had more people abuse my torches by borrowing

them in my absence and worst of all, not putting it back, so when I go to use it,

it's not there. I've even had to resort to locking my toolbox too. (NO, you do NOT

use my $80 Global Chef's knife to cut brownies on a metal sheet pan!) :sad: