• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

When the Curse is Reversed.......

robert brown

Still in shock here! Dragged the kids out of bed in the last inning to see the win. We could hear neighbors screaming in joy and beeping their horns. What a night.

I'm making a big pot of our favorite black bean chili and some polenta fingers baked with chilis and chedder cheese for the victory dinner. The menu has nothing to do with the team or Boston, it's just a good combination.

Melissa

Wow, the Sox did it and with style. Amazing pitching by Schilling :smile:, Lowe :smile: and Pedro :wacko:!! A real team effort on the field and at bat. You have to respect this bunch of idiots.

Our Red Sox loving family is a real minority in our CT hamlet, but even Yankee fans have stopped by to congratulate us. I think that's very classy of them. We may have to have one more neighborhood cookout to celebrate. And no crow for the Yanks fans... just Fenway Franks!

I've never rooted for an AL team in my life, but I gotta tell ya, the whole country was FILLED with people like me, hollering every time a Boston pitcher struck out another Cardinal, screaming and WOO-HOOing every time they got a hit or a homer. We watched the game on Tuesday at the sports book in the Venetian in Las Vegas, and it was packed with Boston fans, new and old.

We saw the first homer of the game last night before we left for the airport, and had to board our plane when the score was 3-0. We asked the pilot for updates, and received none as we flew back to California. As soon as the plane docked, I whipped out my cell phone and called a friend. "3-0 in the bottom of the ninth." I shouted this out to the packed plane of people waiting to deboard, and the whole group erupted in cheers. We were not able to get to the television set in the terminal quickly enough to see that final out, but hey, Boston, your team is the BEST! (I wish I'd bet on it, because I knew they were going to sweep.)

WOO HOO FOR YOU!!!

I realize this entire thread is now OT, but I have to add my congrats. The Sox rocked this season and reversed the curse with style and spunk. I've been a Schilling fan ever since he was a Phillie. Dude has brass ones. Bleeding on the mound and limping around. Damn. The team with the most guts and heart definitely won this year. There's no stopping determination like that.

To keep this food related I did have Oyster chowder for lunch today. That's New England-ish, isn't it? :biggrin:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

I added my thoughts about the victory on the parallel thread, but just want to say that I have abandoned the Lobel's steak idea for dinner tonight at Sushi Yasuda, even though the Rede Sox have no Japanese players at the moment. But let's not forget that Hideki Nomo pitched a no-hitter in a Sox uniform.

I don't really follow baseball (it interferes with the end of hockey season - when we have one - and conflicts with CFL football) but congrats to all the BoSox fans who kept the faith when things looked so dark. I have to say, Schilling impressed the hell out of me. His performance against the Yanks was right up there with Bob Baun playing an entire Stanley cup game on a broken ankle (and scoring the gamewinner, to boot!).

I know every professional sport requires players to play through pain, but Schilling's performance was worthy of football or hockey, infinitely more physical sports. Good on him.

As a transplanted Easterner (Canadian, but still...) I'm happy to have an excuse for a big pot of chowder.

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning