• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

When the Curse is Reversed.......

robert brown

...Crows...eat....Yankeeeesssss....

Sorry! Not quite over it yet...

...if ever!!![/COLOR]

:wub:

I can't blame you, johnnyd, I really can't blame you.

Now that I think of it, I do have a very vivid memory of a crow feasting on some fresh road kill (it was pretty gross), so I guess they're not kosher. Just as well, since I'm not really the crow-eating type anyways. :raz:

Now that I think of it, I do have a very vivid memory of a crow feasting on some fresh road kill (it was pretty gross), so I guess they're not kosher. Just as well, since I'm not really the crow-eating type anyways.  :raz:

Since you seem to be interested in birds of a feather just now, there is this : clean birds include chicken, turkeys, geese, ducks, and doves. Unclean birds include eagles, sparrows, and crows. So when Rosh Hashonah comes around each year, I cross off the crows and the eagles which might have made some damned fine cassoulet and opt instead for chickens and ducks ... osprey is also out, it appears :sad: ... hence the expression "let 'em eat osprey" is rarely heard ... :laugh:

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

Amen Melissa! *putting my hands together* Let osprey... :wink: Say it, don't osprey it?

Speaking of unclean birds/raptors... a few years back I was sitting on a park bench in the village (probably stoned :smile:) watching in fascination as 4 pigeons ate a styrofoam container of fried chicken.

Are pigeons kosher?

Edited by scott123 (log)

Pigeon (Columba domestica) is indeed kosker. I've even eaten it!!

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

Amen Melissa! *putting my hands together* Let osprey... :wink: Say it, don't osprey it?

Speaking of unclean birds/raptors... a few years back I was sitting on a park bench in the village (probably stoned :smile:) watching in fascination as 4 pigeons at a styrofoam container of fried chicken.

Are pigeons kosher?

Bloviatrix would obviously know and I accept her word on it but a bit more on the birds of a feather ...

There are a number of foods that have already been predetermined by the Torah and interpreted by the rabbis as either kosher or non-kosher.

Prohibited Fowl: Bat, cuckoo, eagle, hawk, heron, kite, lapwing, ostrich, owl, pelican, stork, swan, and vulture.

Permitted Fowl: Capon, chicken, dove, duck, geese, pigeon, and turkey.

So I will not make my cuckoo and swan casserole with a bat knish on top after all ... :wink:

Speaking of unclean birds/raptors... a few years back I was sitting on a park bench in the village (probably stoned :smile:) watching in fascination as 4 pigeons at a styrofoam container of fried chicken.

Are pigeons kosher?

Bloviatrix would obviously know and I accept her word on it but a bit more on the birds of a feather ...

There are a number of foods that have already been predetermined by the Torah and interpreted by the rabbis as either kosher or non-kosher.

Prohibited Fowl: Bat, cuckoo, eagle, hawk, heron, kite, lapwing, ostrich, owl, pelican, stork, swan, and vulture.

Permitted Fowl: Capon, chicken, dove, duck, geese, pigeon, and turkey.

So I will not make my cuckoo and swan casserole with a bat knish on top after all ... :wink:

Leviticus 11:13-19 lists all the forbidden birds.

Sparrow and quail are kosher as well (i've eaten those as well).

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

Speaking of unclean birds/raptors... a few years back I was sitting on a park bench in the village (probably stoned :smile:) watching in fascination as 4 pigeons ate a styrofoam container of fried chicken.

Are pigeons kosher?

And you had the nerve to groan at MINE??? :angry::raz:

Why would osprey not be kosher (other than because it is written)? They are hunters who eat fish. What else is it about them?

BTW: I wish they'd start the games earlier. These half-day excursions using AL rules are taking a big chunk out of my sleeping time.

Why would osprey not be kosher (other than because it is written)? They are hunters who eat fish. What else is it about them?

They are in the hawk family and, as such, are considered birds of prey:

The Hebrew term Azniyah of Leviticus 11:13 is believed by some translators to be a reference to an osprey. Some scholars dispute this and suggest instead that the word should be viewed as a reference to an albatross or alternatively as a reference to a black vulture. The text states that the above animal is to be regarded as unclean and non-kosher.

The osprey is a large member of the hawk family.  Diet: Carnivorous

Just how a thread on baseball games and what one eats after them got to unclean and clean kosher birds is beyond me ... :laugh:

So, baseball fans out there, back to what would you eat after the series games? If I say "batter up" will you now immediately think of cormorant knishes?? :rolleyes:

Just how a thread on baseball games and what one eats after them got to unclean and clean kosher birds is beyond me ... :laugh:

So, baseball fans out there, back to what would you eat after the series games? If I say "batter up" will you now immediately think of cormorant knishes?? :rolleyes:

Well...I'm not a sports fan, but that idea you had earlier of a bat knish has definitely stuck in my mind.... :blink::laugh:

Why no kosher ostrich??? Is it because they can't fly? Chickens can't really fly so much either. Someone in the know (Bloviatrix, GG, anyone) has to explain this one to me because now it's upsetting me that my kosher friends can't have ostrich.

I like ostrich. Tastes like steak! :wub:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Why no kosher ostrich???  Is it because they can't fly?  Chickens can't really fly so much either.  Someone in the know (Bloviatrix, GG, anyone) has to explain this one to me because now it's upsetting me that my kosher friends can't have ostrich.

Birds in the rattrie category (ostrich, emu, and rhea) are definitely not kosher as the ostrich is specifically mentioned in the Bible. However, it is not clear as to whether the animal of the Bible is the same animal we know as an ostrich today. Regardless these and most other birds are prohibited.  There have been some attempts to characterize the features that make a kosher bird, but these are not widely accepted and basically one relies on “tradition.”  Interestingly, domesticated turkey is considered kosher although wild turkey may not be. Part of the problem is that “hunting” is not permitted under any circumstances.

I will continue to seek an appropriate answer but this is what I have found ...

Ostrich isn't Kosher???

Bats are considered fowl???? :huh:

Am I still hungover? What's happening around here?! :laugh:

...so I am led to conclude that if you stuff a cork in a bat you get fined $10,000! :wink:

"I took the habit of asking Pierre to bring me whatever looks good today and he would bring out the most wonderful things," - bleudauvergne

foodblogs: Dining Downeast I - Dining Downeast II

Portland Food Map.com

Interestingly, domesticated turkey is considered kosher although wild turkey may not be. Part of the problem is that “hunting” is not permitted under any circumstances.

I will continue to seek an appropriate answer but this is what I have found ...

Actually, wild turkey is considered kosher. I've eaten that as well.

Odd - my sister is a Rabbi and she says there is no ban on hunting as long as you're going to eat the game and it falls within the rules - i.e. - no wild boar, rabbit, squirrel etc. Most birds are OK - ducks, geese, turkeys, grouse, pheasant, quail etc., but no crows, magpies or other omnivores or any raptors.

From Dixon, Wyoming

Actually, wild turkey is considered kosher.  I've eaten that as well.

Me too! 80 proof! Love Wild Turkey ... :wink:

Actually, the wild turkey was served with a glaze made with said burbon.

Regarding hunting, there's no problem with it, but you can't use guns or arrows. You have to somehow capture the animal and still slaughter it appropriately. This is why all kosher venison is farm raised.

sorry but i'm having a problem typing through my tears( sorry my mom and grandfather aren't alive to see this happen).

first of all - honors to the yankees(even though i suffered enough snide remarks from your fans) who went to 7 hard fought games and the cardinals who fought as well to seven to win their division (pojouls IS the player of the future)

sunday when(if) johnnybird survives his early 50th birthday party we will be having a celebration: stuffed clams, lobster roll, baked beans and brown bread - most of them from my greatgrandmother's recipes(she was from rhode island) ok maybe i will throw in some salad for balance.

congratulations to all the teams who compete though it is wonderful to be a winner(finally).

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Suzi, I share your tears. Our boys brought it home and it's a proud, proud day in New England.

We will have a celebration this weekend like no other.

I just wish that the 8 steaks my brother-in-law in St. Louis owes us would arrive in time! :biggrin: