• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

When the Curse is Reversed.......

robert brown

I wish I could take the credit, but it is a Nation that I belong... a Red Sox Nation. :cool:

We are planning a menu... and I've decided my research will cover the Babe's favorites. Whether it's Dogs or Brats or whatever it was back then that passed for junk food, I will prepare for the Final Meal... THE ULTIMATE IMPOSSIBLE SERIES!!! :smile:

"I took the habit of asking Pierre to bring me whatever looks good today and he would bring out the most wonderful things," - bleudauvergne

foodblogs: Dining Downeast I - Dining Downeast II

Portland Food Map.com

I believe that Satan is wearing his ski jacket this morning. :smile:

The history of hot dogs as stadium food has to be documented somewhere. Whether it was organized enough or the technology existed to sell hot dogs out of hot boxes or stands in 1918 is another question.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Johnnyd, I've been discussing with my wife our menus (probably some take-out for some of them) for World Series watching. I'm thinking about going to Schaller & Weber for weisswurst, sauerkraut, ppotato salad and pretzel rolls as kind of a homage to Jake Wirth's and Lock-Obers. Last night we had a pizza delivery from Nick's on First Ave. and 93rd St. We were surprised at how good the pizza was and how it held up except for the usual sogginess. So I guess we will have another of those.

A new outlet of Burger Heaven, really more a coffee shop, recently opened in the neighborhood (Third Ave. betweem 86 and 87th Streets). We might try a delivery, but burger deliveries are always problematic. They have the best in the neighborhood, although I haven't tried the little burgers next door that Fat Guy likes.

My wife wouldn't go for my running out and getting franks from the Papaya King. "One with" means a dog with sauerkraut. It would be ideal, however; the closest to Fenway Franks and probably better quality.

If and when the Sox win it all, then it's a trip downstairs here at 1100 Madison (home to Lobels Meat Market) for some rib-eye, which we would demolish with a great red Burgundy.

Too bad, Yankee fans. You can cry in your beer.

It is truly a beautiful day here in Red Sox Nation :biggrin:

Ah, what to make for the World Series - Johnny, I'm with you on 1918 Stadium food but will also make some regional favorites (for karma purposes).

Oh, and to our dear Yankee fans? How would you like your crow prepared?

GO RED SOX!!!!!

three crow recipes ... :laugh:  and the wine pairing would be?? :rolleyes:

Pinot Noir compliments most everything. Crow included, I'd warrant.

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

I shall be eating crow. At least I don't have to waste several hours of my life watching the World Series, :laugh:

To "Reverse the Curse" the Red Sox actually have to WIN. I hope they choke like they have been doing for the past 90 years or so.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

I shall be eating crow. At least I don't have to waste several hours of my life watching the World Series,  :laugh:

To "Reverse the Curse" the Red Sox actually have to WIN. I hope they choke like they have been doing for the past 90 years or so.

I will not eat crow. It will be a pleasure to watch the devastation in Beantown a week from now. Much as I would like to see the Cardinals taking it, a Red Sox loss in Fenway at the hands of Clemens would be a glorious sight.

Edited by bloviatrix (log)

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

Losing the World Series after devastating the Evil Empire from three back in the Penant Race is incidental. Sports History has been made this week. Period!

Clemens? How shall we serve him up? Anyone? Some sort of "guarantee" regimen, Blovie et al???

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh: :laugh:

(Red Sox in five!)

Edited by johnnyd (log)

"I took the habit of asking Pierre to bring me whatever looks good today and he would bring out the most wonderful things," - bleudauvergne

foodblogs: Dining Downeast I - Dining Downeast II

Portland Food Map.com

Sorry to devestate the die hard Yanks fans, but Roger ROGER ROGER has bitten the dust too. Since I couldn't snag World Series tickets, we have decided to have a Make Your Own Pizza Party at our house for friends and family. I'm making several batches of dough...and we'll have a multitude of toppings available. Also going to have a crockpot of italian meatballs in case anyone wants subs. To start off we'll have the raw veggies and fruit stuff.... Chips and that kind of garbage after the game starts.... And plenty of beer and sparkling wine to keep us fortified.

With Wakefield on the mound who knows what will happen....One thing I'm not serving is a knuckle sandwich....even to (obnoxious) New Yorkers who give their town a bad name by endless droning and whining. :cool:

Is crow kosher?  :rolleyes:

Go Cards!!

Sign me,

Unrepentent

:wink:

I suspect if you could drag that crow to a kosher butcher and have it dispatched appropriately, it might be.

Then again - it is the flying equivalent of a bottom feeder so it might not be OK. Crows don't eat carrion, do they??? :unsure:

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

Then again - it is the flying equivalent of a bottom feeder so it might not be OK.  Crows don't eat carrion, do they??? :unsure:

They're awfully fond of possum a la Michelin, so that would be a yes. :laugh:

Inasmuch as it doesn't really matter since the Braves aren't in it, go Sox!

"Tea and cake or death! Tea and cake or death! Little Red Cookbook! Little Red Cookbook!" --Eddie Izzard

Is crow kosher?  :rolleyes:

I suspect if you could drag that crow to a kosher butcher and have it dispatched appropriately, it might be.

Then again - it is the flying equivalent of a bottom feeder so it might not be OK. Crows don't eat carrion, do they??? :unsure:

What you've never had kosher crow soup with matzo balls?? :rolleyes:

As for eating carrion .. first you have to take it through security and then stow it in the overhead bins .. I heard it on Delta recently ... :laugh:

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

What you've never had kosher crow soup with matzo balls??  :rolleyes:

As for eating carrion .. first you have to take it through security and then stow it in the overhead bins .. I heard it on Delta recently ... :laugh:

:blink:

A joke, yes? :unsure:

PLEASE tell me you're kidding... :shock:

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

What you've never had kosher crow soup with matzo balls??  :rolleyes:

:blink:

A joke, yes? :unsure:

PLEASE tell me you're kidding... :shock:

Moi? Kidding? Are you making a vague, veiled reference to Had Gad Yoh?

The title of this thread: When the Curse is Reversed ... made me think of that new pill one can take to have only four periods each year now, Seasonale .. you can tell how much I know about the Bambino and the Sox ... :laugh:

I really thought Seasonale was a spice blend for steak and chicken .... :wink:

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

Ah yes: Two vultures are getting on a plane. Each has a dead rabbit under each wing. A crew member stops them as they are about to get on, saying "I'm sorry, only one carrion per passenger."

We won't be watching the game tonight (concert subscription), but I hope the lamb we'll eat before we go will not be considered "lamb to the [Enos] Slaughter." :ducks and hides a second time:

hmmm.......boston cream pie, which is not really a pie but a cake. and boston brown bread with new england clam chowda - none of that red clam soup, haddock nantucket style. :cool:

and to the yankee fans out there, perhaps you recall the phrase - "there's always next year" :biggrin:

kat

Crows eat carrion, yup..........like ravens and vultures. No way kosher, no how.

Edited by Susan G (log)

I'm a canning clean freak because there's no sorry large enough to cover the, "Oops! I gave you botulism" regrets.