• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

When the Curse is Reversed.......

robert brown

It came upon me this morning that there may only a handful of fans over the age of 92 who have a memory of the Red Sox winning a World Series (86 years plus four or five years needed in order to imprint it). So I figure the older a Red Sox fan you are, the more you need to celebrate. If how much a team has won the hearts of America counts, these next three weeks are the final ones for the Curse of the Bambino. A dyed-in-the-wool Red Sox fan probably doesn't have the optimism to admit, but this should do it, as this year's team has no glaring weaknesses. As a member of both Red Sox Nation and eGullet, what are you planning to serve as your victory dinner?

Boston Baked beans?

It would have to be soft stuff, nothing that might make a diner suddenly 'choke' ;).

He don't mix meat and dairy,

He don't eat humble pie,

So sing a miserere

And hang the bastard high!

- Richard Wilbur and John LaTouche from Candide

And here I was, thinking you were referring to the Chicago Cubs...

Just wait until next year!

"It is a fact that he once made a tray of spanakopita using Pam rather than melted butter. Still, though, at least he tries." -- David Sedaris

As mentioned in the play-off 2004 thread, it is so unheard-of around here to win the freakin' World Series, that there is no traditional motif whatsoever.

I'm leaning towards kosher dogs with my home-made slaw, slow-cooked shortribs, B&M baked beans and lots of Gearys Pale Ale during the World Series against Cleveland.

We will have chowder while Boston buries the Yankees, 3 games to 1 in the Ultimate Armageddon Series...

... and it will taste soooooo gooood!

When we win (my wife would kill me if she saw me type this), we'll probably blow big bucks on sushi, always our mainstay celebratory meal.

"I took the habit of asking Pierre to bring me whatever looks good today and he would bring out the most wonderful things," - bleudauvergne

foodblogs: Dining Downeast I - Dining Downeast II

Portland Food Map.com

If the Sox win there will be no eating because we will all be too drunk and horse and tired after screaming all night in the streets. Babies will be dragged out of their cribs long after bed time to view the miracle on tv. No one will be able to work the next day and basically, most of New England will just shut down for a few days while we relive the glory. After that, I'll think about whipping up a dish or two.

Melissa

If the Sox win there will be no eating because we will all be too drunk and horse and tired after screaming all night in the streets.  Babies will be dragged out of their cribs long after bed time to view the miracle on tv.  No one will be able to work the next day and basically, most of New England will just shut down for a few days while we relive the glory.  After that, I'll think about whipping up a dish or two.

:smile:

... I am so naive...

"I took the habit of asking Pierre to bring me whatever looks good today and he would bring out the most wonderful things," - bleudauvergne

Portland Food Map.com

If the Sox win there will be no eating because we will all be too drunk and horse and tired after screaming all night in the streets.  Babies will be dragged out of their cribs long after bed time to view the miracle on tv.  No one will be able to work the next day and basically, most of New England will just shut down for a few days while we relive the glory.  After that, I'll think about whipping up a dish or two.

yeah - that's right. not going to happen but a wonderful idea

19 straight for the pats :raz:

Edited by suzilightning (log)

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

If it's cold enough for hell to freeze over, you're never going to get the Boston Creme Pie to cook properly.

On the other hand, you should be able to catch yourself a nice flying pig and have pork chops for dinner.

Good luck, Mr. Gorsky...

Edited by eunny jang (log)

I wouldn't be putting the Pot Roast or the Beans in the slow cooker just yet oh ye Sox fans.

In celebration of the Yanks winning this -- once again -- I think I'll quoff a couple of Seven Ups + Vodka in fond memory of NYY 07. Save the Champagne for when they win the Series -- once again. Cheers!

Oh, J[esus]. You may be omnipotent, but you are SO naive!

- From the South Park Mexican Starring Frog from South Sri Lanka episode

If it's cold enough for hell to freeze over, you're never going to get the Boston Creme Pie to cook properly.

On the other hand, you should be able to catch yourself a nice flying pig and have pork chops for dinner.

Good luck, Mr. Gorsky...

Well, if we are talking about what to eat when the Red Sox beat the Yankees in the playoffs, why don't we ask Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny what they would like, because won't they be at dinner also?

Save Pale Male <--- GO HERE!

Well, if we are talking about what to eat when the Red Sox beat the Yankees in the playoffs, why don't we ask Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny what they would like, because won't they be at dinner also?

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Was at the game last night. GO YANKS!

Tonight's the night....

[gulp!]

I made my chowder, and I will cradle it in my lap as the hits keep coming...

edit to add: Easter Bunny was a little sloppy so Santa's running the wetvac...

Edited by johnnyd (log)

Portland Food Map.com

As a member of both Red Sox Nation and eGullet, what are you planning to serve as your victory dinner?

Hey Robert, I've been enjoying (if that's quite the right word) the last few days along with the rest of you (what, you mean there are Yankees fans on eG?@!). The games finish so late/early over here that victory dinner is out of the question: the first I hear of the extraordinary happenings is when I log on to mlb.com first thing on waking to see the results, along with celebratory emails from my sister, brother and father. Believe me, breakfast has been tasting curiously, strangely good.

Anything can happen tonight, of course, and no one here is counting our poulet rôti. Win or lose, surely even Yankees fans must concede that it's been a brilliant few days for baseball: and as they say, it ain't over til the fat lady sings.

For the record, like probably half the nation, three-quarters of the world, my antipathy to the Yankees runs generations deep (alongside similar sentiments towards the Dodgers: my father was/is a New York then SF Giants fan and we were raised accordingly). In fact, my greatest claim to fame is that in 1962 as a six year old growing up in the Bay Area, I was pictured on the front page of the San Francisco Chronicle (or was it the Examiner?) with a baseball mitt in front of my face, clearly blubbing. The caption read something like "Bye Bye baby, for those methodical Yankees have struck our Caseys out." I remember being particularly enraged because the baseball mitt that was given to me for the photo was a Micky Mantle signature model. Well, I sure hope not to be blubbing tonight/tomorrow morning. And hey, I'm really looking forward to meeting both the Easter Bunny and that nice Mr. Claus (who as every child knows is most definitely NOT a Yankees fan).

Marc

Edited by Marco_Polo (log)