• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

authentic middle eastern grocery

aunteejoy

I just returned from the Israel and I'm on a mission to find some of my favorite foods. Does anyone know a grocery (preferably in Manhattan) where I can find homemade labneh and hummus, fresh baked pitas and a snack food called "kabukim" in Hebrew? These are peanuts that are fried (I think) in a thick crust. Highly addictive!

Thanks

I think your best bet is going to be King's Highway in Brooklyn.

Barzini's -- B'way btw 90th and 91st has been selling fresh pitas, but I haven't tried them. As for hummus, you're best bet is to make it yourself.

The places that used to carry kibukim on the UWS are closed.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

For some good hummus, there's a little restaurant on St. Mark's place between 1st Ave. and Ave. A. A little hole-in-the-wall sort of place, but they make very good hummus. In fact, that's all they make. And across the street there's an Israeli grocery store.

The Holyland Market, on St Mark's between 1st and A, is an Israeli grocery. I know they have Bamba, and I think they might have kibukim.

For all sorts of Middle Eastern and foreign foodstuffs, particularly spices, I go to Kalustyan's on Lexington Ave near 28th St. www.kalustyans.com

For really good hummus, I agree you must make it yourself. However, many Arab take out places have passable versions. I like Damascus Felafel on Ave A near 4th St, they make good hummus and I can practice my Arabic.

My Israeli friend goes to Village Schwarma on 6th Ave or Hadom, on 7th Ave south, both in the village.

I know there are many more places in the city, but I hope this helps.

Damask Felafel on 5th and A? I really can't recommend them. Have you been to Chickpea yet? If you go there, I think you'll agree that there's no longer any reason to go to any other felafel place in the East Village.

Welcome to eGullet, M. Lucia, and please keep posting, even when people disagree with some of what you say. :biggrin:

Michael aka "Pan"

Kalustyan's seemed to be more impressively middle eastern when it was owned by a Kalustyan. Lately it's resembling its Indian neighbors more and more, but it's still a good source. The pitas are delivered and they're not delivered every day. Thus they're not always fresh. There are one or more bakeries on Atlantic Avenue in Brooklyn that bake pitas.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

I also wonder if Sahadi's will have all the things aunteejoy wants. If Atlantic Av. is convenient to her, it couldn't hurt to check them out.

In terms of fresh pitas, Chickpea bakes their own and sells them by the bagful.

Michael aka "Pan"

In terms of fresh pitas, Chickpea bakes their own and sells them by the bagful.

I didn't notice an address in the is thread yet. Chickpea is at 23 3rd Ave.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

I stopped by Holy Land today. They have kibukim. And botnim americayim, which is one of my favorites.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

Pan, I have been to Chickpea and enjoy their puffy pitas. I was speaking specifically to hummus in mentioning Damask, and perhaps I favor them because they are always so friendly to me.

To get back to the topic at hand, I am glad aunteejoy was able to find some of what she is looking for. I know how the smallest thing, like a familiar food, can make a difference when living in a new place.

As for labneh, I don't know of anywhere that has it homemade, though I am sure there must be one, perhaps in the Atlantic Ave area of Brooklyn. As a substitute, I buy something like Total Greek yogurt and strain it over a cheesecloth in the fridge until it reaches the desired consistancy.

Now, if only we could get them to import saj (sage) to New York, I could have za'atar or labneh sandwiches...

Botnim Americayim is directly translated into American Peanuts, but they're unlike any peanut you've ever seen in this country. First of all, I'm not sure what nut they use -- it doesn't taste like a peanut although they're roughly the same color and size. Then the nuts are coated in a hard candy-like shell that has a sweet/salty flavor. They're very addictive.