• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Arzak, A Lunch

docsconz

A short respite from a cooking demonstration preceded our short journey to Arzak, the granddaddy of Michelin Three star restaurants in Spain. The restaurant achieved this greatness under the helm of Juan-Mari Arzak. Although the restaurant is currently under the direction of his daughter Elena, Juan-Mari’s presence remains strong in the restaurant.

The outside and indeed the inside of the restaurant is relatively unremarkable and unassuming for one of its caliber, although it is attractive and comfortable enough.

gallery_8158_200_1097422916.jpg

We were led to a large table on the second floor. Though it was the largest table that we could see, the space was actually slightly cramped with the servers unable to flow freely around it.

No sooner did we sit down than Elena Arzak came out to greet us

gallery_8158_200_1097422859.jpg

and invite us to tour their laborotorio, which we quickly agreed to. We passed through the wine cellar on the way there. The cellar was remarkable with perfect temperature control and impressive size. The lab was small, but fascinating.

gallery_8158_200_1097422766.jpg

They even have a small projection room in which they analyze photos of each dish for presentation purposes.

gallery_8158_200_1097422693.jpg

These photos are also used to make clear to the cooks and waitstaff as to what the dishes should look like as well as how they should be presented. They also have a room kept under optimal condition devoted to storing a veritable what's what of ingredients. Following are photos of Elena and myself in the room and some product details.

gallery_8158_200_1097422581.jpg

gallery_8158_200_1097422519.jpg

gallery_8158_200_1097422463.jpg

We returned to our seats for the onset of the real show including an initial visit from Juan-Mari Arzak himself who came to see if anyone in the group had any dietary restrictions or dislikes. We were easy.

gallery_8158_200_1097422403.jpg

Hors D’ouvres were laid out in front of us as a dizzying display of form and color.

gallery_8158_200_1097421511.jpg

gallery_8158_200_1097421052.jpg

Delights included tomato and strawberry gazpacho that tasted of the essence of Spain with the strawberries providing a subtle surprise note to the impeccable tomato gazpacho;

gallery_8158_200_1097421157.jpg

salty melon-marinated sardine with sweet melon;

gallery_8158_200_1097421321.jpg

taste-bud popping figs and bacon on sticks;

gallery_8158_200_1097421238.jpg

“piquillos” with pineapple

gallery_8158_200_1097421375.jpg

and an onion tart.

gallery_8158_200_1097421429.jpg

The wine served with these and the next course was the same verdejo that we had at Abac, the Jose’ Pariente from Rueda.

The first course on the full menu was an extraordinary mango-layer stuffed with terrine of foie-gras and tomato and served with a bitter light green lettuce. The combination was truly synergistic.

gallery_8158_200_1097420963.jpg

“An Egg Graffitti”, that consisted of an egg cooked sous-vide and looking like a squid and served with a squid ink containing sauce, crispy rice and dried parsley powder. This was a visual and gustatory tour de force. The photos show a progression of presentation.

gallery_8158_200_1097420881.jpg

gallery_8158_200_1097420831.jpg

gallery_8158_200_1097420768.jpg

Local tuna with blackened tuna skin (unbelievable and slightly sweet) and red peppercorns also delighted the eyes as well as the palate.

gallery_8158_200_1097420695.jpg

Interestingly, one of our party did not finish this dish. Juan-Mari Arzak personally came out to see if there was a problem with the dish. Therer wasn't. she was just pacing herself for what was shaping up to be a meal of immense proportions in so many ways.

gallery_8158_200_1097420571.jpg

Squid “stars” with an ink “Air” followed. This dish also had caramelized onions.

gallery_8158_200_1097420464.jpg

The main course was a choice “Pigeon over a flowers vinaigrette” or “Roast lamb covered with a coffee veil”. My wife ordered the lamb while I had the pigeon. The latter came woth pineapple, a cinnamon stick and a laurel leaf all of which one was instructed to suck on prior to eating the pigeon. It also came with potato covered with leak ash. While the dish was delicious I didn’t really get the bit about sucking on the flavors. It made no apparent difference to me. Once again, the photos indicate the service progression of the dish as well as the meat itself, which I believe was actually cooked slightly more than we asked for because we were American.

gallery_8158_200_1097420116.jpg

gallery_8158_200_1097420045.jpg

gallery_8158_200_1097419963.jpg

gallery_8158_200_1097419890.jpg

The lamb was beautifully presented with a light, diaphanous veil around it. This veil dissipated when a broth was poured over it – a spectacular dish and the better of the two.

gallery_8158_200_1097420386.jpg

gallery_8158_200_1097420334.jpg

gallery_8158_200_1097420283.jpg

Wine was a proprietary wine labeled for Arzak and from the Rioja. The vintage was 1999. It was a deep red, rich tempranillo - a good match and eminently drinkable. I wish I knew more about it.

Desserts were the best of the tour, with each one magically presented and surreally delicious. These included the humbly named but regally tasting “ugly chocolate omelet,

gallery_8158_200_1097419775.jpg

chocolate hamburger,

gallery_8158_200_1097419638.jpg

mystical passion fruit soup and orange loaf,

gallery_8158_200_1097419575.jpg

black olives and apple tart,

gallery_8158_200_1097418590.jpg

glorious baked fruits with strawberry bubbles

gallery_8158_200_1097418953.jpg

gallery_8158_200_1097419008.jpg

and a fabulous dessert that somehow was not listed on the printed menus that were provided to us at the end of the meal. Once again a progression:

gallery_8158_200_1097418861.jpg

gallery_8158_200_1097418814.jpg

gallery_8158_200_1097418765.jpg

gallery_8158_200_1097418719.jpg

A delightful array of mignardises including chocolate and white chocolate lollipops finished the meal.

gallery_8158_200_1097418513.jpg

gallery_8158_200_1097418457.jpg

gallery_8158_200_1097418370.jpg

Both Juan Mari and Elena were gracious enough to sign our menus (only presented to us at the end of the meal) and pose for photos with us.

gallery_8158_200_1097415003.jpg

During the course of our meal Elena told us that she is expecting her first child!

gallery_8158_200_1097418316.jpg

Although some of the dishes had been presented before, according to Elena a number of them were premiered for us.

The meal was generally considered by the group as the greatest of the trip. My feeling is that while the food certainly was the greatest, the overall experience of the meal and restaurant was still in fact flawed in minor ways. The space was somewhat cramped for a three-star and the décor, while pleasant and comfortable was nothing particularly special. In addition, the service, while pleasant, was less than three-star caliber as my water and wine glasses would remain low or empty for extended periods without being filled. In addition the waitstaff (very smartly dressed in black and gray dresses) were not intimately familiar with the details of the dishes including some of the older ones. In the grand scheme these were trifling details. The food was great enough in its own right to warrant three-stars and a permanent place in my memory.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

Fantastic photos!! I'm drooling.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

The meal was generally considered by the group as the greatest of the trip. My feeling is that while the food certainly was the greatest, the overall experience of the meal and restaurant was still in fact flawed in minor ways. The space was somewhat cramped for a three-star and the décor, while pleasant and comfortable was nothing particularly special. In addition, the service, while pleasant, was less than three-star caliber as my water and wine glasses would remain low or empty for extended periods without being filled. In addition the waitstaff (very smartly dressed in black and gray dresses) were not intimately familiar with the details of the dishes including some of the older ones. In the grand scheme these were trifling details. The food was great enough in its own right to warrant three-stars and a permanent place in my memory.

From my notes of a year ago: service ... we found it less personal and more disinterested. [than at our first visit years ago] Wine service was even less swift than at Mugaritz. The red wine was easy to reach and consequently wasn't a problem, [we served ourselves] but the white in the bucket was. We noticed another table reaching over to a side board for their wine. Juan Mari waved from a seat in the lounge as we left. It was all so different seven years ago when the attention to our order was very personal and Juan Mari chatted with us on the way out.

... service at Arzak was even faster than at Mugaritz and there's barely time to reflect on a dish before the next one arrives. We found ourselves consciously eating very slowly and stopped a couple of times when glasses were empty until we learned to pour our own wine. There's a mixed signal here. If the diner is expected to serve his own wine, and I have no objection to this practice--although clearly it's a service expected at a three star restaurant--the wine should be accessible to the diner.

The food itself was very good, although we felt that Martin and Mugaritz had the clear edge in both holding our interst and providing a less interrupted level of "wow." Elena may not yet have hit her stride. The restaurant itselt was very dowdy when we were first there and a little less so since it was redecorated.

In terms of doneness, I find rosé is the word that gets birds, lamb and liver cooked to my taste in France. I wonder if, and why, European chefs over cook meat for Americans. I don't find that we like our meat more well done than the French or Spaniards. In fact, I find we, as a country of diners, seem to have a very varied taste that often goes to extremes. It may be that traveling gastronomes tend least to order red meat and steaks, while the more timid American traveler with access to the great restaurants of Europe may be the ones ordering steak and ordering it well done. That could explain a misconception, but it shouldn't explain why a group of dedicated gourmets traveling under the auspices of the Cullinary Institute of America with Spanish speaking guides doesn't get meat done as the chef thinks best or as they want it. I've been flat out told by one expert French chef that I like my meat too rare and that the taste is brought out when it's cooked a bit more. I've never squared that with his love of steak tatare.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

Thank you John. Your photos are absolutly incredible, breathtaking in fact. A couple questions, what was the "diaphanous veil" made of? And what kind of camera were you using at the time?

"Only the tougne tells the truth..."-F.A.

revallo@gmail.com

From my notes of a year ago: service ... we found it less personal and more disinterested. [than at our first visit years ago] Wine service was even less swift than at Mugaritz. The red wine was easy to reach and consequently wasn't a problem, [we served ourselves] but the white in the bucket was. We noticed another table reaching over to a side board for their wine. Juan Mari waved from a seat in the lounge as we left. It was all so different seven years ago when the attention to our order was very personal and Juan Mari chatted with us on the way out.

... service at Arzak was even faster than at Mugaritz and there's barely time to reflect on a dish before the next one arrives. We found ourselves consciously eating very slowly and stopped a couple of times when glasses were empty until we learned to pour our own wine. There's a mixed signal here. If the diner is expected to serve his own wine, and I have no objection to this practice--although clearly it's a service expected at a three star restaurant--the wine should be accessible to the diner.

The food itself was very good, although we felt that Martin and Mugaritz had the clear edge in both holding our interst and providing a less interrupted level of "wow." Elena may not yet have hit her stride.  The restaurant itselt was very dowdy when we were first there and a little less so since it was redecorated.

In terms of doneness, I find rosé is the word that gets birds, lamb and liver cooked to my taste in France. I wonder if, and why, European chefs over cook meat for Americans. I don't find that we like our meat more well done than the French or Spaniards. In fact, I find we, as a country of diners, seem to have a very varied taste that often goes to extremes. It may be that traveling gastronomes tend least to order red meat and steaks, while the more timid American traveler with access to the great restaurants of Europe may be the ones ordering steak and ordering it well done. That could explain a misconception, but it shouldn't explain why a group of dedicated gourmets traveling under the auspices of the Cullinary Institute of America with Spanish speaking guides doesn't get meat done as the chef thinks best or as they want it. I've been flat out told by one expert French chef that I like my meat too rare and that the taste is brought out when it's cooked a bit more. I've never squared that with his love of steak tatare.

Unfortunately, I didn't get to compare Arzak with Martin and Mugaritz. Those will have to wait for another visit along with Akelare. I did get to compare it with Can Fabes, though. That report will be coming up soon. Both meals werre fabulous in terms of flavor. Arzak had the edge in terms of presentation and personal warmth, while Can Fabes had the more incredible space and service. It is too difficult to distinguish the taste dimensions of the various dishes between the restaurants. Another contender in all three counts was carme Ruscalleda's Sant Pau. Morre to come on that and others as well.

The funny thing about the meat doneness was that they asked how I would like it. My pigeon wasn't really overcooked, I just expected it to be slightly less cooked than it was. I would have preferred that they served it as they felt was best for the preparation. Then again, maybe they did. :wink:

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

Twitter - @docsconz

The main course was a choice “Pigeon over a flowers vinaigrette” or “Roast lamb covered with a coffee veil”. My wife ordered the lamb while I had the pigeon. The latter came woth pineapple, a cinnamon stick and a laurel leaf all of which one was instructed to suck on prior to eating the pigeon. It also came with potato covered with leak ash. While the dish was delicious I didn’t really get the bit about sucking on the flavors. It made no apparent difference to me. Once again, the photos indicate the service progression of the dish as well as the meat itself, which I believe was actually cooked slightly more than we asked for because we were American.

gallery_8158_200_1097420045.jpg

I don't know, doc. When I make potato with leak ash it turns out much prettier than Elena's version. :wink:

Seriously, though...Thank you so much for these photos. What a vacation you had!

JJ Goode

Co-author of Serious Barbecue, which is in stores now!

www.jjgoode.com

"For those of you following along, JJ is one of these hummingbird-metabolism types. He weighs something like eleven pounds but he can eat more than me and Jason put together..." -Fat Guy

Thank you John.  Your photos are absolutly incredible, breathtaking in fact.  A couple questions, what was the "diaphanous veil" made of?  And what kind of camera were you using at the time?

Thanks for the compliments.

I believe the veil was actually dehydrated coffee. They have a dehydrator in the lab that they use extensively.

As far as the camera, I used a Canon G2 on automatic without a flash and in Macro mode for the close-ups. Unfortunately, the lighting was often a problem and is reflected in some relatively washed out colors in the photos. When they took us up to the lab and showed us the projection room, I asked if they had photos for the dishes we would be having, hoping that I would be able to use them. Elena replied that most were so new that they didn't have any yet. The lamb, I believe is an exception. other dishes maybe as well.

Twitter - @docsconz

As far as the camera, I used a Canon G2 on automatic without a flash and in Macro mode for the close-ups. Unfortunately, the lighting was often a problem and is reflected in some relatively washed out colors in the photos.

Oh, I thought you were going for that effect. :unsure: Great stuff. Welcome home.

Woderful report and photos, doc!

I always enjoy your photo reports because you can really see how much you and your people enjoy yourselve's.

The food looks and sounds amazing.

I remember reading in 'A Cooks Tour' about how beautiful Elena Arzak is but your pic really backs it up.

You know what kills me?

In '96, I was working with a French band, recording an album near Dax (Leon) in France, and the singer kept saying "Ted, we have to take a few days and go to San Sebestian", which was only 70 k away or so.

I, like a fool, said nooooooooo, I have to stay and finish this thing (I was producing).

:sad:

Thanks again, great stuff.

2317/5000

John thanks for posting your pictures! My husband and I had lunch at Arzak in July and also took photos of each course but I haven't posted them. I also had the coffee veiled lamb....yum!!! But most of your dishes were different which is what I expect of a great restaurant.

We had fabulous service, the gentleman who waited on us - I forget his name- was just wonderful. And we left with a signed menu which I thought was very nice.

Thanks for bringing back great memories!!!

John,

Thanks for the fantastic report and great photos. Arzak was one of the first great chefs that caught my attention years ago but I still haven't managed to visit the Basque County. Now I have one reason more to try and go there.

BTW you might like to know that while I was looking at this thread my wife walked by and asked who the good looking guy in the photos was. Should I be jealous :laugh: ?

Il Forno: eating, drinking, baking... mostly side effect free. Italian food from an Italian kitchen.

All you have to do is click "Show all" under the clickable smilies.

Twitter - @docsconz

How can you say the service was less than you'd expect from a 3 star - they showed you around, treated you perfectly & were incredibly generous with their time? So your glass was a bit empty – you do have arms don’t you? The thing I loved about this place was that there was zero stuffiness.

Anyway – the lamb with coffee brought back memories – that was such a good dish. I also did the lab tour - loved it.

A big thanks for the photos.

Edited by blind lemon higgins (log)

How can you say the service was less than you'd expect from a 3 star - they showed you around, treated you perfectly & were incredibly generous with their time?   So  your glass was a bit empty – you do have arms don’t you?  The thing I loved about this place was that there was zero stuffiness. 

I'm not saying I didn't love the place, the meal and the people, and they did treat our group royally. Elena Arzak herself showed us around. She couldn't have been more gracious and charming and fortunately she wasn't the one doing the service. She had better things to attend to. However, the table service was less than I've experienced in comparable restaurants.

It was good, but in most of the better restaurants I've been to, the service anticipates ones needs and responds to them seemlessly and are proud to do so. I do have arms and had I been able to reach the wine or the water I would have been happy to serve myself, but then again I wouldn't want to appear to be showing up the waitstaff in a three star restaurant either. It was simply an observation and criticism that as good as the place was and it was great it still had imperfections.

I really don't mean to be ungrateful, but I don't need to be fawning either. Would I return with the same flaws as I described? Absolutely in a heartbeat. In the grand scheme of things the service criticism was a minor point, but I still feel the critique is valid.

You are correct about the lack of stuffiness. That is a wonderful thing and contributes greatly to the soul of the restaurant.

Since your comment made me focus more on what was less than perfect about the experience, I must add something else that I had actually forgotten. Allowing for cultural differences and the fact that smoking is much more widely accepted and practiced in Europe, the smoking there was the most bothersome I've ever encountered in a high end restaurant in Europe or elsewhere. I must attribute that to the poor ventilation as cigarette and cigar smoke drifted over from various parts of the room on a nearly constant basis. I was able to tolerate it and others may not find that to be a problem or an issue, but in a perfect world (or restaurant) those who wanted to smoke could do so without inconveniencing those who prefer to not be around it. Once agin, though, my overall experience remained fabulous despite my perception of imperfections.

Edited by docsconz (log)

Twitter - @docsconz

I hope this is just adding to the post and not taking away, I thought I'd throw in some photos from my lunch at Arzak in July. These are just a few things that were a bit different:

amuse bouche of pinapple & pimento, cold potato leek soup, fish mousse in fried plantain

gallery_16100_237_1097882645.jpg

soft egg w/ chorizo paste

gallery_16100_237_1097882388.jpg

squid w/ foam and black ink

gallery_16100_237_1097882447.jpg

cheese plate- one creamy, smooth piped onto plate, manchego, chalky feta, aged manchego, blue w/ pureed apple in it (I had already taken a bite - oops!)

gallery_16100_237_1097882744.jpg

desserts: ravioli; a tuber from vallencia, mango and fruit bread accented w/ chocolate and vanilla sorbets; pineapple w/chocolate & current sorbets; molten chocolate cake

gallery_16100_237_1097882774.jpg

us blurry from wine taking a self portrait! haha!

gallery_16100_237_1097882808.jpg

Arzak espresso cup

gallery_16100_237_1097882828.jpg

doc, if you want me to move these to another post just let me know!

Edited by little ms foodie (log)

The photos are great! Thanks for adding them. It is particularly interesting to see the similarities and the differences. The squid is a prime example. The dishes ar very similar but clearly not the same.

I love the photo in the mirror. You were obviously enjoying yourselves and your wonderful enthusiasm shows.

Please do not hesitate to add any more photos to this or other topics. :smile:

Twitter - @docsconz

us blurry from wine taking a self portrait! haha!

Let me let you in on my little secret. Use the wine glass for a tripod: don't trust your unsteady hand (though the blur is charming). This is what I did last year at Amma, and the very creative results got published in a magazine. I enjoy the zany angles from using stationery objects as tripods.

(Repeat: the blur is charming. I am not criticizing, just giving information for the future.)

:smile: