• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast! The most important meal of the day (2004-2011)

percyn

My impromptu fried bread concoction:

1. Fry up some bacon in a skillet

2. Remove/reserve bacon. Take a slice of good hearty bread (I used some French Campagne) and make a ~2.5" hole in the middle of the slice.

3. Put the slice in the still hot skillet with the bacon fat and then crack an egg in the hole.

4. Top cooking bread and egg with the bacon and a slice of cheddar

5. Cook until the egg is done to your liking

The great thing about this is that the slice of bread becomes nice and crispy from frying. I meant to take a picture of it this morning, but work interrupted.

My impromptu fried bread concoction:

1. Fry up some bacon in a skillet

2. Remove/reserve bacon.  Take a slice of good hearty bread (I used some French Campagne) and make a ~2.5" hole in the middle of the slice.

3. Put the slice in the still hot skillet with the bacon fat and then crack an egg in the hole.

4. Top cooking bread and egg with the bacon and a slice of cheddar

5.  Cook until the egg is done to your liking

The great thing about this is that the slice of bread becomes nice and crispy from frying.  I meant to take a picture of it this morning, but work interrupted.

mmmmmm! So good! :biggrin: We used to make these on coffee can stoves at Girl Scout camp, but we left the bacon on the bottom, so it became like a reverse sandwich: bacon, toast with a hole and an egg in the middle, and then more bacon. We only used cheese occasionally because it got too sticky.

"Life is a combination of magic and pasta." - Frederico Fellini

Since Bruce has taken us in a Mexican direction, I thought I'd chime in with this morning's breakfast:

gallery_58047_5582_56570.jpg

Memelitas. No eggs, but at least there is cheese! Our first homemade queso fresco.

Ummmmm - homemade cheese!

"Life is Too Short to Not Play With Your Food" 

My blog: Fun Playing With Food

Yesterday's breakfast: what my mother called a "Fried Egg Sandwich" while I was growing up.

Two local farm eggs mixed with a little milk, kosher salt and ground Tellicherry pepper, omeletted in Ghee, and served on fresh Challah bread with a touch of local roll butter on the bottom and Heinz Organic Ketchup (no high fructose corn syrup - yay!) on top.

gallery_21337_5485_26308.jpg

gallery_21337_5485_69377.jpg

gallery_21337_5485_20094.jpg

The "rear" view.

"Life is Too Short to Not Play With Your Food" 

My blog: Fun Playing With Food

Nancy - that is an awesome looking sandwich!

percy - as usual, you are the king of eggdom!

We spent the past weekend in the Outer Banks. Friday was our 27th wedding anniversary. The only cooking that I did was breakfast on Sunday:

gallery_3331_117_127076.jpg

gallery_3331_117_71929.jpg

The sausage is some local meat that we get every year from a store at the VA/NC border. It is delicious and we always stop Sunday night and get some for the freezer. The pancakes are the buttermilk ones that a friend at cookskorner.com made. They are our new favorites - really, really good. The only real difference between this recipe and my usual is the buttermilk, which my regular recipe doesn’t call for. It really does seem to make the pancakes fluffier.

The sausage is some local meat that we get every year from a store at the VA/NC border. It is delicious and we always stop Sunday night and get some for the freezer. The pancakes are the buttermilk ones that a friend at cookskorner.com made. They are our new favorites - really, really good. The only real difference between this recipe and my usual is the buttermilk, which my regular recipe doesn’t call for. It really does seem to make the pancakes fluffier.

I have a stupid question -

You guys don't let the butter melt? Or was that just for the beauty shot.

I find it VERY important to use mass quantities of butter, and make sure it all melts before the maple syrup goes on...

V

I have a stupid question -

You guys don't let the butter melt? Or was that just for the beauty shot.

I find it VERY important to use mass quantities of butter, and make sure it all melts before the maple syrup goes on...

Not stupid at all. That was just for the beauty shot, but I took it off. I don't put butter on stuff that will have syrup, jam, gravy, etc. on it. I can't really taste it and the extra fat can make me nauseous (I am 6 years away from gastric bypass surgery). But I should have let it melt a little - to look more luxurious! :raz:

I was initially contemplating getting an egg McMuffin from McDonalds, but decided to make this instead.

You chose well. :smile:

Bricklayer’s eggs (huevos al albanil) with shaved parmesan cheese, Mexican oregano, and Cholula hot sauce, served on a toasted multigrain English muffin. Pasilla chiles definitely make my list of favorite things. :wub:

gallery_42956_2536_13747.jpg

Percy - thank you for the good wishes. Mr. Kim says that he'll have one of those incredible corned beef biscuits to celebrate!

Bruce - that is beautiful. Another breakfast that Mr. Kim would like to celebrate with!

I made those pancakes again this weekend for my parents while I was visiting them in NC. They looked the same - no pictures!