• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast! The most important meal of the day (2004-2011)

percyn

Sunday morning - Bob and I shared the best pancakes we've ever tasted! Great breakfasts come from great ingredients, I guess. That, and a little help from Alton Brown (and his book, "I'm Just Here For More Food").

The great ingredients included whole wheat flour, eggs from the local farm of Aaron Miller, butter and milk from Hartzler Family Dairy (photo below) and freshly made Hickory Syrup from Kathy Breychak's Blue Egg Farm, photo below).

Last week, we had splurged on a half gallon of Hartzler's whole milk (we figured, if you're going for milk that isn't homogenized, it might as well be whole milk):

gallery_21337_5485_44102.jpg

Since we had no buttermilk, I added a little sour cream I had on hand to the milk measurement. The measurements in this book, BTW, are in multiple measures, including weight, which is of course the best way to measure.

After putting together the rest of the batter, I heated a non-stick griddle to 350 degrees and decanted the batter:

gallery_21337_5485_178453.jpg

Oh, the bouquet as the batter cooked!

gallery_21337_5485_48823.jpg

Time to flip! (Ok - I was little klutzy with the first batch):

gallery_21337_5485_146597.jpg

Finally - time to serve! We accompanied the pancakes with more of Hartzler's creamy, organic-style (but not certified) butter:

gallery_21337_5485_27127.jpg

And the Breychak Hickory Syrup:

gallery_21337_5485_141359.jpg

YUM!

gallery_21337_5485_127187.jpg

gallery_21337_5485_144062.jpg

Edited by NancyH (log)

"Life is Too Short to Not Play With Your Food" 

My blog: Fun Playing With Food

Kim - as you can see in the photo - Hickory Syrup is thinner than most Maple Syrup - it has a light, slightly smoky, sweet taste. It is definitely a little different than Maple Syrup; I'm guessing it would be a great sugar replacement in recipes because it is so light.

Parsi Bharuch Ni Akoori - Same as a regular Akoori but with the addition of cashews, almond and raisins (I used dried cranberries). The traditional recipe also called for adding mawa (milk solids made from evaporating fresh milk), which is hard to come by here.

gallery_21049_162_8947.jpg

Scrambled eggs w/ chives and Gruyere, Benton's bacon, tots and the coffee cake that Maggie describes in her wonderful essay in The Daily Gullet:

gallery_34972_5599_39198.jpg

Kim,

After all of your great photos and the recommendations of many here, I have purchased and received my first order of Benton's Bacon. Yesterday I made bacon, fried eggs, toast and sliced grape tomatoes for my MIL, brother and myself AND a BLT for my husband (the only way he appreciates bacon....can you believe it?????). The bacon was very thick and smokey but I found it a bit salty. It was greatly enjoyed but there are situations that I would appreciate less saltiness. Do you think that it may have been just that batch? Would blanching it first remove some of that saltiness??

Thanks,

Donna

Donna

Scrambled eggs w/ chives and Gruyere, Benton's bacon, tots and the coffee cake that Maggie describes in her wonderful essay in The Daily Gullet:

gallery_34972_5599_39198.jpg

Kim,

After all of your great photos and the recommendations of many here, I have purchased and received my first order of Benton's Bacon. Yesterday I made bacon, fried eggs, toast and sliced grape tomatoes for my MIL, brother and myself AND a BLT for my husband (the only way he appreciates bacon....can you believe it?????). The bacon was very thick and smokey but I found it a bit salty. It was greatly enjoyed but there are situations that I would appreciate less saltiness. Do you think that it may have been just that batch? Would blanching it first remove some of that saltiness??

Thanks,

Donna

Donna - It is salty - we never need salt on our eggs when I serve them with Benton's :biggrin: . I don't think that it would hurt a bit to blanch it. You do that with country ham and the bacon is very close to that in flavor, I think. Try it with one or two pieces and then see what you think. We gave it to our dads for Father's day and they both thought that it was too salty and Mr. Kim's dad said that they prefer supermarket bacon :blink: ... :blink: ... :blink: I can see finding it too salty - but can you imagine preferring the taste (or lack thereof :wink: ) of supermarket bacon now that you've tasted Benton's? We don't even buy Neuske's anymore, which we used to love.

Percyn and NancyH, those are inspirational breakfasts.

Curried tuna sandwiches on toasted multigrain English muffins. Onions, garlic, ginger, cilantro, curry powder, and thinly-sliced Serrano chile provided the flavor.

gallery_42956_2536_33038.jpg

Bruce, this is a work of art. I'm especially partial to Asian, be it newly created, or simply leftover curry, nuked, for breakfast. Sets me up for quite a day (just ask my family!).

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

Kim,

After all of your great photos and the recommendations of many here, I have purchased and received my first order of Benton's Bacon.  Yesterday I made bacon, fried eggs, toast and sliced grape tomatoes for my MIL, brother and myself AND a BLT for my husband (the only way he appreciates bacon....can you believe it?????).  The bacon was very thick and smokey but I found it a bit salty.  It was greatly enjoyed but there are situations that I would appreciate less saltiness.  Do you think that it may have been just that batch?  Would blanching it first remove some of that saltiness??

Thanks,

Donna

Donna - It is salty - we never need salt on our eggs when I serve them with Benton's :biggrin: . I don't think that it would hurt a bit to blanch it. You do that with country ham and the bacon is very close to that in flavor, I think. Try it with one or two pieces and then see what you think. We gave it to our dads for Father's day and they both thought that it was too salty and Mr. Kim's dad said that they prefer supermarket bacon :blink: ... :blink: ... :blink: I can see finding it too salty - but can you imagine preferring the taste (or lack thereof :wink: ) of supermarket bacon now that you've tasted Benton's? We don't even buy Neuske's anymore, which we used to love.

I finally got around to making a second pound of Benton's Bacon yesterday and blanched half of it prior to cooking. It was a short blanch...actually I placed the sliced in cold water and just brought it to boiling and removed the slices to cook. It did remove some of the saltiness and the smokiness was still evident (though maybe taken down a notch)!!!!! When eating the bacon as a side with eggs and toast, I will do this. BUT, when using it to make BLT's or adding to a salad with tomatoes or an acidic dressing, I will keep it as originally made. You are right about not being interested much in supermarket bacon now!

Donna

gallery_4006_121_83818.jpg

tuesday morning johnnybird had to get up and leave for work by 7 am. if any of you knew him you would realize that this is extremely amusing since he IS NOT a morning person - more like a late-morning/early afternoon person. well, when he gets up everyone gets up. i had a few hours to kill so i made onion soup from cook's illustrated and had a cup of it along with a toasted cheddar and black forest ham sandwich for breakfast about 10 am.

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

I had garlic-fried rice (day old rice from the rice cooker, added to fried garlic and onions and cooked, then a couple eggs added to one side of the pan and scrambled into the rice a little at a time, with a heavy dash of sea salt), pan-fried toast and a Pepsi with crushed ice. Mmm.

"...which usually means underflavored, undersalted modern French cooking hidden under edible flowers and Mexican fruits."

- Jeffrey Steingarten, in reference to "California Cuisine".

Thanksgiving Leftovers Breakfast.

The day before, we took all of the uneaten turkey skin and crisped it in the oven, to make a sort of "turkey bacon".

gallery_21337_5648_17741.jpg

gallery_21337_5648_51739.jpg

Left to right: Chopped turkey meat, leftover Sichuan Green Beans, Miller Farm Eggs w/salt and pepper, 5 year old White Cheddar, Turkey "Bacon"

gallery_21337_5648_34173.jpg

Since there was Turkey Bacon in the green beans, I kept the large slices whole and warmed them in the side of the pan.

gallery_21337_5648_83335.jpg

Breakfast is served, with a slice of Bob's homemade whole wheat bread toast topped with Hartzler Farm butter. Yum.