• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast! The most important meal of the day (2004-2011)

percyn

Verjuice - Mr. Kim is just fascinated with those egg yolks. When we lived in the country he wouldn't let me explore raising chickens, but if he'd seen those eggs back then, I think I'd have had a giant flock :laugh: !

Bruce - you continue to torment me with rice :shock::wink:

Sunday breakfast was a lot of shortcuts on my part. I found some packaged waffles in the deli section of the store - not frozen ones. Kind of expensive, so I probably won't buy them often, but they were really good. I over-toasted them a bit - ended up with Melba waffle toasts :laugh: , but really tasty! The potatoes were just frozen hash browns that I added some onion to. The directions say not to stir, but I rebelled and stirred like crazy and ended up with nice, crispy potato bits (I wonder how come you're not supposed to stir them?). The bacon was Neuske's which we used to just love, but since we've been eating that Benton's we are finding the Neuske's a bit bland :unsure: . We are going to be eating less bacon in the future, so I think we'll just continue to order the Benton's - if we can only have 2 slices, they better be the best! The eggs were from the farmer's market. Local and from free range chickens. Nice - rich, dark yolks. Lots of eggy flavor:

gallery_34972_5599_14407.jpg

Nice breakfast Prawn...I love sweetbreads, but never tried it accompanied with an egg, so will have to add it to my list.

Today's breakfast was Corned Beef Hash w/Fried Egg - papaya and mango juice in the background

gallery_21049_162_33029.jpg

Yolk shot

gallery_21049_162_28193.jpg

Last week I made an omelette with left over moo shoo pork and some Thai sweet chili cause on top, with a roti.

gallery_21049_162_19596.jpg

Ahh, everyone's breakfasts continue to inspire.

Scrambled eggs with vaguely Indian seasonings - browned onion, garlic, chiles, chaat masala, garam masala, and cumin seeds, all fried in ghee. Served on toasted potato bread, and topped with coconut chutney and more chiles. Cool cucumbers for contrast.

gallery_42956_2536_6440.jpg

This was actually my mother in laws lunch on Friday but eggs are eggs especially when they are on top of 1/2 inch thick slabs of bacon and toast...with a pickle no less

gallery_23695_426_328560.jpg

taken in Obersalzberg Germany

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

Behold the world's largest cinnamon swirl...

gallery_16643_1028_20184.jpg

clocking in at a massive 9 inches in diameter. Purchased in Saugus, Mass. USA

"I took the habit of asking Pierre to bring me whatever looks good today and he would bring out the most wonderful things," - bleudauvergne

foodblogs: Dining Downeast I - Dining Downeast II

Portland Food Map.com

It was brought to Reading where my wife's family gathered over the weekend. I was told where it was bought but tried to find it in a net directory for Saugus this morning and didn't recognize any on the list. I want to think it was "Troy's" [Pastries? Bakery?]; maybe Tony's??. If you can help out, t'would be a bonus.

As soon as I saw it I said "Hold it right there!", and scrambled for the camera. My father-in-law instantly saw the utility in a nearby tape measure, otherwise it wouldn't have cut so striking a pose.

This beast fed a dozen people! :laugh:

"I took the habit of asking Pierre to bring me whatever looks good today and he would bring out the most wonderful things," - bleudauvergne

foodblogs: Dining Downeast I - Dining Downeast II

Portland Food Map.com

taken in Obersalzberg Germany

Ahhh..that explains the bright orange yolks one usually sees in Europe.

Why is that? I wondered the same thing yesterday.

Not 100% sure, but I heard it might have to do with pasteurization (or lack thereof). The unpasteurized fresh eggs I buy from the farm are orangish, but yet not as bright orange as the ones in Europe. Might also have something to do with the breed of chickens.

The supermarkets there also did not refrigerate their eggs....

that was the only dish on the whole trip that no one else got a bite of every other meal there were forks flying but she kept those eggs pretty close to her :wink:

T

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

I made "Green Eggs and Ham". :biggrin: (with respect to Dr. Suess)

I have been trying to get around to trying my hand at a souffle. I finally pulled out the Domestic Goddess book and did the Pistachio Souffle. It was easy to do and tasted and looked beautiful enough to eat.

I didn't have the right ramekins so they didn't get up so tall, but they did puff enough that I was able to serve them puffy and give them the idea.

The ham was a slice of pancetta.

My picky kids ate every bite. :biggrin:

“Don't kid yourself, Jimmy. If a cow ever got the chance, he'd eat you and everyone you care about!”

Breakfast last Saturday:

gallery_15557_1141_26483.jpg

Wedge of canteloupe, toast with butter (jelly not pictured), bacon, scrambled eggs with cheddar and chives, garnished with a chive blossom :biggrin:

Marcia.

Don't forget what happened to the man who suddenly got everything he wanted...he lived happily ever after. -- Willy Wonka

eGullet foodblog