• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast! The most important meal of the day (2004-2011)

percyn

Ann - your biscuits and gravy looks perfect - I just finished breakfast and now I want that!! And the biscuits in the next post are just incredible - so high and light looking - I wish this Southern girl's biscuits looked that good!

Percyn - that syrup sounds really intriguing! Can you describe the flavor?

This morning we had crumpets and bacon w/ fried eggs. The crumpets were a Jamie Oliver recipe - you do them like French toast - really good:

gallery_34972_5599_119343.jpg

Percyn - that syrup sounds really intriguing!  Can you describe the flavor?

Kim, to my palate, the syrup is a little less sweet than traditional maple syrup, with a nice mouthfeel and round finish or butterscotch and bourbon after taste.

You can find more info and order it from here.

Ann T: Those biscuits and gravy look amazing!! I'm drooling over here...

I usually don't make very hearty breakfasts, even on the weekends, but my Aunt was visiting from out of town so I wanted to make an effort for her,lol.

Scrambled eggs, sausage and peppers, baked beans & patacones (fried green plantain)

gallery_33168_5801_939491.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

When life hands you avocados, make guacamole! With a kitchen full of odds and ends, the guac included three kinds of chiles, garlic, shallot, cilantro, lime juice, and (purists avert your eyes) sun-dried tomatoes, smoked paprika, and blue cheese. I quite liked the sun-dried tomato texture and blue cheese tang.

gallery_42956_2536_32557.jpg

When life hands you avocados, make guacamole! With a kitchen full of odds and ends, the guac included three kinds of chiles, garlic, shallot, cilantro, lime juice, and (purists avert your eyes) sun-dried tomatoes, smoked paprika, and blue cheese.

My eyes! The goggles do nothing! :biggrin: I must admit, I'm having a hard time imagining blue cheese on guacamole. Maybe next time I have some I will experiment (on one bite!).

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

My eyes! The goggles do nothing! :biggrin: I must admit, I'm having a hard time imagining blue cheese on guacamole. Maybe next time I have some I will experiment (on one bite!).

Sorry, Chris. Does it help to think of blue cheese as queso fresco's funky older brother? :wink:

Parsi scrambled eggs (akuri/akoori) on a warm whole-wheat tortilla. I used Pasteurized eggs, scrambled to not-quite-done. This was worth making just for the heavenly aroma of onions, ginger, garlic, and cilantro frying in ghee. PercyN posted a similar recipe (click), with the addition of tomato.

Akuri (akoori)

gallery_42956_2536_52434.jpg

Bruce - your guacamole is beautiful - I am not a purist, it sounds wonderful.

A breakfast from last weekend - just scrambled eggs, sausage, and store bought brioche and croissant, but it was good!

gallery_34972_5599_60197.jpg

I don't know why my bacon and sausage always look burnt! They aren't, but sure look like charcoal, huh? :biggrin:

Thanks, Kim!

Creamy scrambled eggs topped with minced Thai chiles, from My Bombay Kitchen. I liked the contrast of creamy eggs against sharp chile heat. Eggs, ghee, and half-and-half, whisked together and heated very slowly while continuously and gently scraping the saucepan bottom with a silicone spatula.

To protect delicate sensibilities, the guacamole comported somewhat more closely with tradition – garlic, chiles shallot, cilantro, lime juice, sun-dried tomatoes, and sour cream, topped with roasted Poblano chiles. Whole-wheat tortilla, heated over direct flame.

gallery_42956_2536_35104.jpg

Parsi scrambled eggs (akuri/akoori) on a warm whole-wheat tortilla. I used Pasteurized eggs, scrambled to not-quite-done. This was worth making just for the heavenly aroma of onions, ginger, garlic, and cilantro frying in ghee. PercyN posted a similar recipe (click), with the addition of tomato.

Bruce, how did you like the Akuri? Try it with some tomatoes, it gives more depth of flavor.

Bruce, how did you like the Akuri? Try it with some tomatoes, it gives more depth of flavor.

PercyN, I liked the akuri very much. Your gorgeous pictures motivated me to try this dish and learn more about Parsi food in general (a work in progress), so I owe you thanks for both.

Your version of akuri with tomatoes is definitely on my list.

This is what happens when I play with my food – leftovers turn into Mexi-Thai-Parsi eggs. :rolleyes: Despite probably offending cooks from around the globe, this was pretty darn tasty.

First, I sauteed onions, Thai bird chiles, roasted Poblano chile matchsticks, ginger, and garlic in ghee. When everything was soft, I added nahm prik pao and fish sauce to taste. Next, I whisked together eggs, fish sauce, ghee, and sour cream, added the onion concoction, and scrambled the egg mixture very slowly.

For garnish, I sizzled slivers of ginger, Thai chiles, and Poblano chiles in a little oil. Enjoyed with leftover dal and basmati rice.

I'm back to work next week, so back to coffee for breakfast. :sad:

gallery_42956_2536_29592.jpg

gallery_15557_1141_42918.jpg

Scrambled eggs with cheese and the first chives of the season, sausage patties, and, uh, leftover cheese biscuits from a restaurant which shall not be named :biggrin: .

Marcia.

Don't forget what happened to the man who suddenly got everything he wanted...he lived happily ever after. -- Willy Wonka

eGullet foodblog