• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast! The most important meal of the day (2004-2011)

percyn

whole wheat pasta with meatballs and chicken sausage in a red gravy. just the thing for a morning with ambient temps around 5 degrees after the outside chores are done -

oh, and two mugs of plain old black coffee

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Bruce, that coffee looks awesome !! Did you use any special type of coffee? Where did you get the coffee making gadget from?

Percy: Thanks! That batch of coffee was from Starbucks, but this morning we received two Trung Nguyen coffees: Passiona (naturally low-caffeine, but unfortunately only available pre-ground); and Legendee (whole-bean). We made Passiona coffee in the special filter this afternoon – it was excellent with sweetened condensed milk. My wife loved the coffee black – its chocolate and caramel flavors gave the coffee a natural sweetness.

Filters are often available at Asian markets, or you can order them from Trung Nguyen Coffee Online (click) in Massachusetts. Aluminum filters are $2.50 USD, and stainless steel filters are $4.00 USD, a remarkable bargain IMO.

Bruce, that coffee looks awesome !! Did you use any special type of coffee? Where did you get the coffee making gadget from?

Percy: Thanks! That batch of coffee was from Starbucks, but this morning we received two Trung Nguyen coffees: Passiona (naturally low-caffeine, but unfortunately only available pre-ground); and Legendee (whole-bean). We made Passiona coffee in the special filter this afternoon – it was excellent with sweetened condensed milk. My wife loved the coffee black – its chocolate and caramel flavors gave the coffee a natural sweetness.

Filters are often available at Asian markets, or you can order them from Trung Nguyen Coffee Online (click) in Massachusetts. Aluminum filters are $2.50 USD, and stainless steel filters are $4.00 USD, a remarkable bargain IMO.

I cannot agree with you more re: the benefit of using Trung Nguyen coffee. We can find it in Syracuse at a small Vietnamese grocery store, and what a bargain it is at $4.95/500gr. Even though we can only get it pre-ground there, it's delicious and does have a chocolate taste to it. If you can find a Vietnamese restaurant where they actually know how to make this coffee, it's worth it to see it in action before trying it at home. Here's a website that tells you exactly how to do it: How to make perfect Vietnamese iced coffee In this site they emphasize how important it is to get the right brand of sweetened condensed milk. However, they say that "French roast" means there's chicory included, which just isn't the case in most places selling a "French roast." That's usually a degree of roasting: the darkest, oiliest, most nearly-burnt roast. I think it's far more important to get a quality Vietnamese coffee than a particular roast, although a roast on the dark end is desirable.

This coffee and some pho or a nice bit of pork, Vietnamese "quiche" and broken rice make for a lovely breakfast!

Lonnie

"It is better to ask some of the questions than to know all of the answers." --James Thurber

Lonnie: Yes, Trung Nguyen coffee is a remarkable bargain.

Today’s breakfast: omelet with a filling of sauteed chilies, shallots, garlic, cilantro, and sweet-salty ketjap manis. Fuji apple and buttered whole-wheat English muffin. I’m narrowing down on my favorite omelet fillings, and this is getting close for a non-cheese, non-meat omelet.

gallery_42956_2536_15493.jpg

Edited by C. sapidus (log)

On this week's Gordon Ramsey's f-word TV show, they made scrambled eggs w/wild mushrooms and served it as a first course. The eggs were just a bit runny...just live I love them. So, it inspired me to try that dish out...

Scrambled eggs w/wild mushrooms and shallots

372271854_f198f85724_o.jpg

Omelet filling: garlic, shallots, chilies, lemongrass, basil, fish sauce, hoisin sauce, and green curry paste, sauteed until soft. Topping: hoisin sauce, Sriracha, chile oil, and basil chiffonnade. Not my best job of omelet-flipping, but nice flavors.

gallery_42956_2536_43065.jpg

I had a Tenderloin that need trimming so .....steak and eggs

they werent photogenic

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

Bruce You always have the most interesting fillings for your omelettes. Delicious and colourful.

Percy And your scrambled eggs are always so perfectly cooked.

Foodman OOOH those look so good. I love fresh warm donuts.

I took a couple of my chocolate croissants out of the freezer and left them to rise overnight. I had one warm out of the even with a cappuccino.

gallery_27944_2966_178369.jpg

I got to try some of these Asian fillings.

You should - they are great fun. And those doughnuts look delicious.

My latest memorable breakfast:

gallery_5404_94_437409.jpg

Bruce You always have the most interesting fillings for your omelettes.  Delicious and colourful.

Ann_T: Thanks!

Oh, my - I know that you get all self-depreciating about your baking, but oh, my - those croissants look amazing - golden brown crust, light as a feather, and just the right amount of filling.

Oh, my - I know that you get all self-depreciating about your baking, but oh, my - those croissants look amazing - golden brown crust, light as a feather, and just the right amount of filling.

Thanks Bruce.

Ann_T I don't know you, but I hated you for at least 10 seconds.  :wink:

Syrah, thankfully it is only for 10 seconds. LOL!

My favourite Cowichan Valley Butcher started making and selling Peameal Bacon. I was so excited to find a supplier. Up till now I have had to depend on a friend from Toronto bringing me Peameal bacon when she comes out to visit. It is common in Ontario, but not out here on the west coast. I fried some up this morning and Moe and I shared a toasted peameal bacon and tomato sandwich for breakfast.

gallery_27944_2966_185661.jpg

gallery_27944_2966_231821.jpg

Syrah,  thankfully it is only for 10 seconds.  LOL!

My favourite Cowichan Valley Butcher started making and selling Peameal Bacon.  I was so excited to find a supplier.  Up till now I have had to depend on a friend from Toronto bringing me Peameal bacon when she  comes out  to visit. It is common in Ontario, but not out here on the west coast.  I fried some up this morning and  Moe and I shared a toasted peameal bacon and tomato sandwich for breakfast. 

gallery_27944_2966_185661.jpg

I need edification! Just what makes peameal bacon peameal bacon? When I go to the store here in Syracuse, not all that far from Ontario, I sometimes find something they call Canadian bacon. No peameal on it, however. But would this be the same thing? What part of the piggie does each one come from? Why peameal? I'm sure because it was handy or something, but what does it do for the bacon? Why don't we have our own version of this just over the border? And finally, why does the word "bacon" get applied to two apparently very different things: the lovely hammy Canadian version and the lovely fatty strips?

I've had peameal bacon in Toronto but it didn't knock my socks off. I'm sure there are many gradations of the stuff, as with any product. Can anyone recommend a good source, either within driving distance ;-) or online?

For your final quiz question, does anyone know of any restaurant in the United States, preferably in upstate New York, where peameal bacon is served?

Thanks!!!

Sleepless in Snowy Syracuse

"It is better to ask some of the questions than to know all of the answers." --James Thurber

Lonnie, Peameal Bacon is the same cut of Pork ( Pork Loin) that Canadian Back Bacon is made from. But where Canadian Back Bacon is smoked like a ham, Peameal Bacon is just brined. I have no idea why it is rolled in cornmeal but I grew up eating peameal bacon and it has always been coated in cornmeal.

Maybe you have to have been raised with it to love it, I don't know. All I know is it is my favourite and I feel deprived when I live somewhere that doesn't have it. If you ever get a chance to go to the St. Lawrence Market in Toronto you can get the best peameal bacon on a bun from a couple of different vendors. When I lived in the Toronto area, we went to the market early every Saturday morning and almost always had Peameal bacon on a bun.

Canadian Back Bacon is fairly common in the US. But the only place I've ever found Peameal Bacon in the US was actually 28 years ago when we lived in Grand Rapids. After whining to a butcher, he actually found a supplier and started to sell it. Not sure if he continued to carry it after we moved or not.

There is a company in Troy Michigan that apparently sells Canadian Bacon, but I can't tell from the pictures on their site whether this is really Peameal Bacon or just Back bacon that is rolled in cornmeal. I put a call into the company, but the person I spoke to didn't seem to know the answer. Someone is suppose to call me back.

The Real Canadian Bacon Company

Ann

I thought it was called peameal bacon because it is rolled in peameal...which I guess probably looks and tastes a lot like cornmeal...so perhaps they now use cornmeal as a cheaper/easier to find substitute or perhaps that is really peameal?

Don't try to win over the haters. You're not the jackass whisperer."

Scott Stratten

Lonnie, Eric from The Real Canadian Bacon Company called me back and confirmed that their product is true Peameal Bacon, not the smoked Canadian Back Bacon.

Badiane, My understanding is that it was originally rolled in peameal, but cornmeal seems to be what is now used. It actually doesn't contribute much to the flavour.

Ann

I've been all through this post and I don't think I've seen any mention of chocolate malt-o-meal or coco wheats.....my absolute favorite breakfast! I love it with a healthy splash of milk and plenty of sugar. I eat it at least 3 mornings a week.

This morning I had fried eggs and green chile over thick sourdough toast. Yummy!

Three-egg omelet with fish sauce and five-spice powder.

Filling: thinly-sliced Poblano chile, shallot, garlic, roasted chile paste, and a little of the dipping sauce.

Dipping sauce: Hoisin sauce, Sriracha, and fish sauce.

Mmmm. The five-spice flavor came through nicely.

gallery_42956_2536_17887.jpg

A few days ago, when we were snowed in, my wife made breakfast of

Scrambled Eggs w/Potato and Ham Hash - the hash was from a the frozen section, sold by Jimmy Dean (I think). Not bad for a frozen item and I am sure part of the flavor was enhanced in my mind because this was a rare treat.

394121868_d8961cd096_o.jpg

Percy, looks great. I love eggs with potatoes.

Moe's breakfast yesterday - scrambled eggs served on toasted ciabatta bread.

gallery_27944_2966_114160.jpg

Forgot to make pancakes yesterday so we had them today instead. Mine were just plain with butter and maple syrup. Moe's were filled with yogurt and blackberries topped with maple syrup.

gallery_27944_2966_29330.jpg