• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast! The most important meal of the day (2004-2011)

percyn

Hey, Percy, Thanks. Your posts inspired me.  Your breakfasts are great. I may have to get some truffle oil and smoked duck breast. I'll have to start looking for outlets....

Usually, I just scroll through the pictures without noticing who the poster is. Until I read Percyn's post following yours, I had just assumed those were pictures of one of his breakfasts!

The breakfast thread is going to get even better, now!

Hey, Percy, Thanks. Your posts inspired me.  Your breakfasts are great. I may have to get some truffle oil and smoked duck breast. I'll have to start looking for outlets....

Usually, I just scroll through the pictures without noticing who the poster is. Until I read Percyn's post following yours, I had just assumed those were pictures of one of his breakfasts!

The breakfast thread is going to get even better, now!

Thanks for the kind words, prasantrin! That you thought my post was Percy's is high praise indeed.

"Yo, I want one of those!"

Klary and breakfast foodies, I forgot to tell you. I bought some rhubarb for the first time, and to the best of my recollection, this was the first time I ever tasted it. I made this up: I chopped the rhubarb and cooked it with butter, sugar, fresh orange zest and a little fresh orange juice, and wrapped it with pastry. On the top of the pastry about half way through the baking I made a round indentation with a spoon and filled the space with mascarpone, sprinkled sugar on top, and finished baking. It was good with a cup of coffee for breakfast on the porch. I was proud of myself, the non-baker. The only thing was that the pastry didn't get cooked enough and it was too doughy on the inside. It was quite edible, though. :biggrin:

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

egginabasket.jpg

I've been on a kick for these lately. It's no different from just eating toast and eggs separately, but the little kid side of me finds combining them appealing.

I love those! My husband makes them every now and then, when we have bread in the house. I get a kick out of what different people call them. He calls it a "hole in one." Who knows them by another name?

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

I think I've heard them called "Eggs in a Basket"? Maybe? Ive always been tempted to make them... I don't know why I haven't. Next time I have some good bread I might give it a shot.

I love those!  My husband makes them every now and then, when we have bread in the house.  I get a kick out of what different people call them.  He calls it a "hole in one."  Who knows them by another name?

I call it egg in a basket but I've heard so many different names, it's funny how so simple a food has been called so many things! What I've heard: egg in bread (the simplest), cookie eggs, toad in the hole, hole in the wall, hobo sandwich, hobo eggs, moon over miamis, Brooklyn eggs, frog in the hole, egg in a hole, UFO's, red eye, one-eyed bandit, popeyes, one-eyed egyptians, cowboy eggs, black-eyed susie, egg in a nest. I'm sure there are more!

Michelle Pham

I like pie.

Most of my breakfasts are nothing to write about, much less photograph, but this morning's looked nice enough to share:

gallery_15557_2797_8289.jpg

Pancakes with fresh strawberries, whipped cream, and a little syrup, scrambled eggs with cheddar and chives, and bacon. Coffee not pictured because it was with me behind the camera. Priorities, you know.

Marcia.

Don't forget what happened to the man who suddenly got everything he wanted...he lived happily ever after. -- Willy Wonka

eGullet foodblog

Good for you for being healthier, Percy!

I was not terribly healthy this morning...I went downstairs to a little Hungarian place called Andre's Cafe, which has the most divine croissants in the neighborhood. I enjoyed a chocolate croissant and cup of strong coffee, all the while reading my Prague guidebook (I'm headed there in a few months and need to decide on a hotel).

gallery_26775_1718_46138.jpg

gallery_26775_1718_4667.jpg

I atoned for my pastry with a brisk walk over to Carl Schulz Park, on the East River.

gallery_26775_1718_38142.jpg

I just love Sundays, especially when they're, well - sunny! :wink:

"We had dry martinis; great wing-shaped glasses of perfumed fire, tangy as the early morning air." - Elaine Dundy, The Dud Avocado

Queenie Takes Manhattan

eG Foodblogs: 2006 - 2007

Megan, I'd love to hear about any Hungarian offerings at Andre's. If there's no thread on them in the New York forum, maybe you could start one.

Michael aka "Pan"

I was not terribly healthy this morning...I went downstairs to a little Hungarian place called Andre's Cafe, which has the most divine croissants in the neighborhood.  I enjoyed a chocolate croissant and cup of strong coffee, all the while reading my Prague guidebook (I'm headed there in a few months and need to decide on a hotel).

<snip>

Hungary is known for its pastry (especially croissants and cakes). I had some great one while in Budapest. In budapest many places serve farmers cream cheese with paprika and onions...does this cafe have any?

The weather was perfect this morning (crisp, sunny), and they still haven't built anything below us so we had a fantastic view over the valley from our deck.

Breakfast was an egg, over easy, Rosemary bread toasted and spread with a fig and balsamic jam, half an apple, and a green chai tea.

--Dave

Another day, another omelet....

gallery_44755_2822_285375.jpg

Today's fare: a mozzarella, cheddar, parmesan reggiano, and onion omelet, with home fries, toast, coffee.

The bread here is no slouch.

gallery_44755_2822_1393108.jpg

gallery_44755_2822_1313627.jpg

It's made by a husand and wife who quit their jobs in Manhattan and opened up a bread bakery in Wilton, CT. They studied under a master. They only make one type of loaf, a Three-Grain Pain de Campagne, "Handcrafted in the artisan tradition." It's made of spelt, rye, and white flour, and they say they "mill our organic ingredients daily." It's $5 per loaf. It's sold in groceries around here and you can also stop in and buy loaves directly at the bakery. It is indeed a great bread.

gallery_44755_2822_1524348.jpg

"Yo, I want one of those!"

Yesterday, I split a great croissant, strawberry danish, and ginger biscuit with my bf at Cafe Besalu in Seattle. They also had wonderful coffee.

Today--a French apple tart and coffee from Macrina. The apple filling was quite sweet, but the tart crust was good.

Edited by Ling (log)

Two BIG cups of cap for me, as Chris slept in til almost noon...he and the crew worked a big project yesterday and on into the night. I woke him with the aroma of maple bacon, and he wandered sleepily into the kitchen as I broke the first egg into the dish for the French Toast batter. It was a HUGE egg, and two small golden yolks fell into the bowl. I showed it to him and set it aside in another bowl to cook for him, for good luck for the day.

The toast was three small croissants, sliced in half and soaked in an egg-milk batter scented with vanilla...sizzled in a little peanut oil til puffy and golden, snowed with powdered sugar, with a drizzle of maple syrup. The stuff always tastes better out of a little house-shaped can.

He also had butter-fried eggs with creamy grits, into which he stirred the soft-cooked egg yolks, after trimming off the whites for me.

Fruit yogurt for dessert.

Klary and breakfast foodies, I forgot to tell you.  I bought some rhubarb for the first time, and to the best of my recollection, this was the first time I ever tasted it.  I made this up:  I chopped the rhubarb and cooked it with butter, sugar, fresh orange zest and a little fresh orange juice, and wrapped it with pastry.  On the top of the pastry about half way through the baking I made a round indentation with a spoon and filled the space with mascarpone, sprinkled sugar on top, and finished baking.  It was good with a cup of coffee for breakfast on the porch.  I was proud of myself, the non-baker.  The only thing was that the pastry didn't get cooked enough and it was too doughy on the inside.  It was quite edible, though.  :biggrin:

Yay Susan!

Rhubarb for everyone!

Maybe you would like some of these, I made them fresh this morning: Rhubarb muffins.. I know, they came out kind of flat, but they tasted really good.. :smile:

muffins.jpg

I was not terribly healthy this morning...I went downstairs to a little Hungarian place called Andre's Cafe, which has the most divine croissants in the neighborhood.  I enjoyed a chocolate croissant and cup of strong coffee, all the while reading my Prague guidebook (I'm headed there in a few months and need to decide on a hotel).

<snip>

Hungary is known for its pastry (especially croissants and cakes). I had some great one while in Budapest. In budapest many places serve farmers cream cheese with paprika and onions...does this cafe have any?

Hey, Percyn! I walked past yesterday and checked the menu...didn't see anything like this mentioned. They do have many kinds of streudel, and some palascinta. As I eat there more, I'll start a thread!

"We had dry martinis; great wing-shaped glasses of perfumed fire, tangy as the early morning air." - Elaine Dundy, The Dud Avocado

Queenie Takes Manhattan

eG Foodblogs: 2006 - 2007