• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast! The most important meal of the day (2004-2011)

percyn

On one of my days off this week, this was my breakfast of Rapa brand scrapple, a fried egg with some drippings that I had left from some dinner (Percy made me do the drippings thing, thank you very much :wub: ), and tangerine juice. For the photo I unashamedly set it by the window.

gallery_13038_2246_120032.jpg

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

Susan,

I see that I am being a bad influence on you...in a good way :raz:

Yesterday I made

Scrambled eggs with Sichuan beef, drizzled with spicy dumpling oil

gallery_21049_162_28553.jpg

Today it was Eggs benedict 2 ways (without the hollandaise) - one with smoked duck and the other with Sarrano ham.

gallery_21049_162_6235.jpg

This accompanied with Masala Tea to dunk some Batasas.

gallery_21049_162_20923.jpg

Ohh...I am soo full

Edited by percyn (log)

Pork Larb Omelette - took the extra meat and some onions from the larb and added it to the egg.

gallery_21049_162_76423.jpg

gallery_21049_162_54536.jpg

Now, though was technically part of my dinner last night, it is one of the best egg dishes I have eaten, and I wanted to share it with the readers of this Forum. If sufficiently inspired one day, I might actually attempt this.

Potato Terrine, Nueske Applewood Smoked Ham, Poached Egg, Lobster Choron

gallery_23992_2475_32947.jpg

Edited by percyn (log)

gallery_11814_154_15856.jpg

My colleague here at work roasts and grinds his coffee beans with slivered ginger.  We drink it "tubruk" style, that is -- brewed by pouring boiling water over  coffee grounds and sugar -- no milk or cream.  It's heavenly.

oooooooooo. That does sound good!

gallery_11814_154_15856.jpg

My colleague here at work roasts and grinds his coffee beans with slivered ginger.  We drink it "tubruk" style, that is -- brewed by pouring boiling water over  coffee grounds and sugar -- no milk or cream.  It's heavenly.

heh.

We call that the hurricane method here in Florida.

:biggrin:

Ran across the street this morning first thing for a HUGE cafe au lait and a bagel. Ran home and topped the bagel with a schmear of creme fraiche (can you schmear anything but cream cheese? Hmmmm...). Divine. Utter divinity.

"We had dry martinis; great wing-shaped glasses of perfumed fire, tangy as the early morning air." - Elaine Dundy, The Dud Avocado

Queenie Takes Manhattan

eG Foodblogs: 2006 - 2007

Megan, I wouldn't have thought!  I have some creme fraiche, too.  Did you butter it also, or put anything else on it?

Nope! Just the creme fraiche...though, come to think of it, butter would not be entirely lacking in deliciousness.

"We had dry martinis; great wing-shaped glasses of perfumed fire, tangy as the early morning air." - Elaine Dundy, The Dud Avocado

Queenie Takes Manhattan

eG Foodblogs: 2006 - 2007

Looks wonderful as always, Percy. That qualifies to be called Steak & Eggs!

In another repeated attempt to eat smaller portions, but more often, I've been eating breakfast recently. However, the only one I pictured in a while was what I had with the "lucky" tangerine that I brought home from the Chinese New Year dinner and celebration we attended.

I had it for breakfast with green tea (made from loose tea!) and a toasted English muffin with cinnamon sugar on it (we were out of toast dope).

gallery_13038_2499_68790.jpg

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

I wish I could do pictures. We had sourdough pancakes with dark maple syrup (grade B). My starter is very sour right now, and so it was an interesting sweet and sour. I used a recipe from Alaska Sourdough by Ruth Allman. Directions call to cook to seal brown. I had to guess the color of a seal, but they were wonderful anyway.

Hi All,

I am a new Egullet member and was delighted to see this breakfast thread. I love breakfast and thought to start my journey here. Last night I cooked a birthday dinner for my husband, consisting of duck breast with fig sauce, wild-harvested mushrooms, sautéed with shallots and sherry, potatoes roasted in duct fat, and steamed chard.

gallery_40263_2501_1052075.jpg

Lest you think I am confused about which topic this is, this morning's breakfast was farm-fresh eggs (direct from farmer) scrambled with leftover chopped chard, with reheated potatoes and mushrooms from our dinner last night. This was served with a local farmer's nitrate-free bacon, and my homemade whole-wheat sourdough and homemade apple butter.

gallery_40263_2501_39072.jpg

Edited by Lynnette (log)

Our late Sunday breakfast was enhanced by hot-from-the-oven yeasty cloverleaf rolls, straight from my DD's bakery. She took the earlyearly shift today, and was home in time to sit down with us to the last few slices of the grill-baked ham, seared with brown spots all over its juicy pinkness; eggs fried golden-runny in the ham fat; grapes and blueberries tumbled over fresh cottage cheese; peach jam; and a bowl of very lumpy, very thick Cream of Wheat for her, as she came in out of a very cold snowy day. She likes it made by dumping the measured amount of mix into the boiling water, and no stirring for a few minutes. Makes chewy lumps; butter and sugar atop.

Earl Grey in the teapot; Kona in the press.

I made my own puff pastry last night using MobyP's demo in the EG cooking class.

This morning...fresh pain au chocolat. Two of the Valrhona Guanaja fevres is the perfect amount of bittersweet-chocolate sin. :wub:

Best thing to come out of my oven in awhile!

I ate as many as I could when they were still warm out of the oven.... :wub:

painauchocolat.jpg

(Now I'm it's almost time to take my Portuguese tarts out of the oven!)

Lynnette, welcome to eGullet and this thread.

Looks like you fixed the pic issue. What was the problem?

Thank you for the welcome Percy.

The first picture was tiny - smaller than the one under my name (wild oyster mushrooms), but I went back to the album, clicked on something else, and it worked fine.

Today, my breakfast was an egg straight from the farm, cooked with wild-harvested mushrooms (previously sautéed with shallots and sherry). This was served with fresh strawberries, and freshly cultured vanilla-scented kefir, in which to dip them. Freshly brewed Darjeeling finished the meal. gallery_40263_2501_540192.jpg

Today, my breakfast was an egg straight from the farm, cooked with wild-harvested mushrooms (previously sautéed with shallots and sherry). This was served with fresh strawberries, and freshly cultured vanilla-scented kefir, in which to dip them. Freshly brewed Darjeeling finished the meal.

Lynnette, do you run a farm and/or grow the mushrooms?

Your breakfasts look great !!

I would encourage to post what you made for dinner on the Dinner! thread too.

Cheers

Percy