• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast! The most important meal of the day (2004-2011)

percyn

Can someone point me to a casserole recipe which includes sausage, egg and cheese that I can serve to my family on Christmas Day? I've looked in both the epicurious and Jimmy Dean websites, but do not know what I'm looking for. It needs to be appealing to both adults and kids and I'd like to assemble it the night before.

Any suggestions? If there is a recipe on this site, please tell me how to find it (I'm not familiar with this site).

Thanks in advance!

Percyn, that is one good looking breakfast. And of course, the addition of duck makes it even better!!  You do have a way with eggs, which leads me to this question...what's with the eggs?  Not that it's a bad thing, but I noticed that a lot of your breakfast posts include eggs.  (You may have mentioned it in previous post, but I just got back from dinner and am a little loopy and don't want to go through 33 pages to find out...)

Somewhere on this thread or in my blog I mentioned that having eggs for breakfast not only taste great, it is probably a subliminal way to rebel against my childhood deprivation of the same.

Someone gave me these big, thick, delicious, gourmet English muffins as a gift

Percy,

Were the english muffins from Wolferman's by any chance? My sister just sent a bunch (6 different flavors) of Wolferman's english muffins to my husband for his birthday. They're great!

Cleo

Why yes they are !! So far I have only tried the original recipe ones, but I also have sourdough, pumpkin spice, rasin, etc. I agree that they are very delicious.

Donna,

This is something I made a little bit ago that is along the same lines as an egg casserol. Started with a layer of Spinach and garlic, then did sopressatta and mortadella.. Then Mozzarella.. Then I crack a bunch of eggs over the top.. 450 for 10 minutes

gallery_15057_1168_474248.jpg

Percyn, that is one good looking breakfast. And of course, the addition of duck makes it even better!!  You do have a way with eggs, which leads me to this question...what's with the eggs?  Not that it's a bad thing, but I noticed that a lot of your breakfast posts include eggs.  (You may have mentioned it in previous post, but I just got back from dinner and am a little loopy and don't want to go through 33 pages to find out...)

Somewhere on this thread or in my blog I mentioned that having eggs for breakfast not only taste great, it is probably a subliminal way to rebel against my childhood deprivation of the same.

Thanks Percy. You've elevated eggs to an art form.

Karen C.

"Oh, suddenly life’s fun, suddenly there’s a reason to get up in the morning – it’s called bacon!" - Sookie St. James

Travelogue: Ten days in Tuscany

Donna,

This is something I made a little bit ago that is along the same lines as an egg casserol. Started with a layer of Spinach and garlic, then did sopressatta and mortadella.. Then Mozzarella.. Then I crack a bunch of eggs over the top.. 450 for 10 minutes

gallery_15057_1168_474248.jpg

I made this with salami and it was excellent. The eggs baked up perfectly, and the cheese was oozy and delicious.

Danielle Altshuler Wiley

a.k.a. Foodmomiac

I had a HK style bun from a Chinese bakery--it's rectangular, spread with Japanese mayo, and then topped with a thick, fluffy piece of steamed egg with chives. The sides of the bun are coated with mayo, and then pressed into "pork fluff", and there's mayo and pork fluff inside the bun too. Yum.

Also had leftovers from last night's dinner, which was "meat cake" (like Chinese meat loaf)...rich pork with minced scallions and ginger, a bit of dried shrimp paste, minced cuttlefish for texture, and topped with salted egg.

Can someone point me to a casserole recipe which includes sausage, egg and cheese that I can serve to my family on Christmas Day?  I've looked in both the epicurious and Jimmy Dean websites, but do not know what I'm looking for.  It needs to be appealing to both adults and kids and I'd like to assemble it the night before.

Any suggestions?  If there is a recipe on this site, please tell me how to find it (I'm not familiar with this site).

Thanks in advance!

Check the Strata recipes here also.

MelindaLee

Melinda used to be a caterer and these are wonderful make-ahead dishes.

I have made them many times, with various ingredients, never had one that wasn't delicious.

I have had many requests for one made with artichoke hearts, ham, Wensleydale cheese and carmelized onions. Yummy!!

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

OK, now for another silly question: What, exactly, is a "strata?"

When I looked in Epicurious, I used the search terms eggs, sausage, cheese, casserole. Not knowing what a strata is, I didn't incorporate the word into the search. I just used the word "casserole."

I'm serving at least 15 for breakfast.

Daniel, your eggs look yummy.

And Andie thanks for the link.

Thanks, everyone, for your help. This site is addicting!

PS - Never mind. I found what a strata is.

Edited by DonnaMarieNJ (log)

I made my first successful poached egg during this past week!!! It remained partially intact, which was way better than before and better than I expected on this try. And, it tasted good. Nice breakfast, this with OJ and coffee... I was happy with it!

gallery_13038_2246_16405.jpg

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

I made my first successful poached egg during this past week!!!  It remained partially intact, which was way better than before and better than I expected on this try.  And, it tasted good.  Nice breakfast, this with OJ and coffee...  I was happy with it!

gallery_13038_2246_16405.jpg

Absolutely beautimous, Susan! The photograph and eggs, quite splendid, indeed. What's the (your) secret to perfectly poached eggs?

Yetty CintaS

I am spaghetttti

I must give credit to a lady I work with. On Thursdays my work assignment is at our Hospice House, which is a five bedroom residence where five of our Hospice patients live, receiving end-of-life care. (Other days I visit private homes and nursing homes.) Judy, the CNA, taught me by demonstration when she was fixing breakfast for a resident. ...To do one egg, bring a small saucepan of water to a boil of course, but she put only enough water in it to just cover the egg. The sauce pan had a partially rounded bottom, and I've been looking to buy one of those ever since. In the water put about a teaspoon of vinegar and about a teaspoon of butter. She gently cracked the egg into the water. I felt the steam and thought it was going to burn me, so my drop of the egg into the water was not as gentle. Then let it go for a while before trying to get it all back together. Once the white starts to firm up, then gently spoon it toward the middle to get it to be intact, and spoon some water over the top of it as it cooks. Then when it's done, lay it on paper towel to dry a little.

Judy loves to cook. At the House, we (staff) cook for the patients who are still eating. (That could be another topic... it is quite interesting for a "foodie.") Judy is retiring at the end of this month, so thanks for asking, and thanks for allowing me to give her a tribute here!

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

this morning the other half of the box of jimmy dean precooked sausages with real maple syrup (the other half having been devoured last night after work - reference the pms thread) and a cup of essensia orange cappaccino.

susan - congrats on the egg. when we used to do them at work we used to stir the simmering water so a small vortex was created then, just before it disappeared, slip the egg out of a side dish. father phil said he started the eggs this way because the vortex helped hold the white and yolk together better and kept them rounder. don't know why but several thousand eggs later i'm still doing this...

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Congrats Susan...that poached egg looks good. Another method is to bring a fair amount of water to a gentle boil, stir the water around until it forms a vortex and then crack the egg in the center of the vortex. By the time the egg stops spinning, the hot water would have cooked the whites a bit and the centripetal force would keep the egg's shape relatively in tact.

Today I made Scrambled eggs topped with gruyere cheese, with sides of Canadian Bacon, Maitake mushrooms and a slice of roasted garlic sourdough bread.

gallery_21049_162_31793.jpg

Edited by percyn (log)

Oh Percy, yummy yummy.

We had bizkits!!! :laugh: These are still nekkid, but believe you me they were generously and liberally smothered and schmeared with New Zealand Anchor butter and luscious strawbery jam. Mmmmm good.

gallery_11814_1914_22148.jpg

gallery_11814_1914_4861.jpg

Yetty CintaS

I am spaghetttti