• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast! The most important meal of the day (2004-2011)

percyn

I posted this same picture yesterday...does anyone know if I'm using too much bandwidth or anything if I'm hosting the picture at Photobucket? (I am woefully ignorant when it comes to anything computer-related.)

Well, given that the size of the pic is 41.3KB, I would not worry about it. If the pic was 500K or over, it may be a bit slow for someone using a dial-up connection (if those people still exist :wink: )

Breakfast was this coffee cake.

I've used this recipe before--it's good! I love coffee cakes. I used raisins instead of currants.

The cake is still beautiful even though it fell apart. :smile: Whenever a recipe tells me to add layer the streusel in thirds, I always make sure that the first 1/3 of cake batter is extra generous, while the last 1/3 is more stingy, to account for the streusel sinking a little bit during the baking process.

Well, given that the size of the pic is 41.3KB, I would not worry about it. If the pic was 500K or over, it may be a bit slow for someone using a dial-up connection (if those people still exist  :wink: )

Thanks! Good to know! :smile:

Breakfast this morning was leftovers from last night--a Chinese oyster stew of sorts, with cubes of fried tofu and lots of ginger and scallion. The oysters were added towards the end of the cooking process so they were still nice and creamy in the center. I also had another dish from last night, "Buddhist's Feast", which contains many different items, such as golden rod mushrooms, black trumpet mushrooms, dried oysters (not vegetarian, but tasty), a type of tofu product made from the "yee" (the "skin" that forms on top during the tofu making process, this is dried and then rolled into sticks), red "foo yu" (fermented bean curd), and black sea moss.

And a few of those chocolate hazelnut cigarette cookies (the tin says "Creme de Pirouline")

Whenever a recipe tells me to add layer the streusel in thirds, I always make sure that the first 1/3 of cake batter is extra generous, while the last 1/3 is more stingy, to account for the streusel sinking a little bit during the baking process.

Lorna, girl, where were you before? :biggrin:

Breakfast this morning was a great cup of coffee from Blue Spoon Coffee (Chambers and Broadway, NY NY) followed up by a chocolate/peanut butter brownie which was tremendous (sorry for the lack of picture quality, it was with a camera phone):

Whole Brownie

gallery_33036_2189_9414.jpg

Bite Shot

gallery_33036_2189_8938.jpg

A great brownie from a promising chef/baker that I work with.

- KOBI

After 6 weeks of no eggs--the young pullets hadn't started laying yet, and the 6 old girls all moulted and took a vacation from laying--I finally am getting eggs again.

Yesterday, I took down the ham I sugar cured last January. It hung in the shed until March, then I brought it in and hung it in the front closet til now.

I sliced that ham as thin as I could, put in the frying pan with a bit of water, and cooked it till browned. Then put some butter in the pan, and broke a couple of those new eggs in and over-easy'ed them.

Salty, salty ham and rich orange yolks.

Some toasted homemade bread, fresh ground pepper, and home canned V-8 juice.

Good. Yes indeed.

It was worth getting up for.

Edited by sparrowgrass (log)
sparrowgrass

Beverage of choice this morning:  Vietnamese coffee & sweetened, condensed milk with a store-bought Dutch stroop waffle.  The cookie sits atop the  steaming hot coffee to soften it up a little and to release this fantastic buttery, caramelly aroma that really teases the senses!

gallery_11814_1914_8967.jpg

Have a great day y'all!

That looks really pretty.. Is steaming the stroop waffle common or do you do that.. What a fun idea.

Beverage of choice this morning:  Vietnamese coffee & sweetened, condensed milk with a store-bought Dutch stroop waffle.  The cookie sits atop the  steaming hot coffee to soften it up a little and to release this fantastic buttery, caramelly aroma that really teases the senses!

gallery_11814_1914_8967.jpg

Ah, Yetty, how wonderful.. I do that all the time.. It really transforms the cookie doesn't it? Sometimes I leave the stroopwafel on so long that the edges really start to melt and syrup is dripping down the sides of my coffeecup :biggrin: not so good...

I was in the neighborhood yesterday, so I dropped by the Russian store. Standing there staring at the goodies I used to think I could not live without, I saw in the deli section something that I had not seen, much less eaten, for years. Livernaya kolbasa. Cheap "sausage" stuff that we used to buy sometimes when particularly pressed for money. So I bought a quarter of a pound, just to remember the taste. Had it for breakfast on whole grain bread (black rye would have probably been better):

gallery_34224_2175_42620.jpg

I started wondering what they make it from after all, since it never tastes like liver, despite the name. Did a quick search online - pig jowl (?), tripe, liver, bood, fat, and other stuff that I didn't understand even in Russian much less knowing their names in English.

Anyway. I had a good, nostalgic breakfast :biggrin:.

Daniel: I think it's pretty much a common Dutch practice to balance the cookie on top of the coffee to get the caramel butter syrup filling all ooey gooey. Just like Klary does. :cool:

This morning we're sort of having a long stretched out breakfast. First, we'll be having some fresh cut up tropical fruits (mangoes, papayas and pineapples). Then, I made these pigs in blankies (actually wonderful sage-y chicken sausages). In the oven are some eggs with cheese, cream, tomatoes and fresh herbs to go with the little chicky piggies. Some fried rice with shrimp crackers later on.

Beverages today: assorted fruit juices, milk, tea and coffee.

All this food? My son is home for the weekend! :wub:

gallery_11814_1914_19009.jpg

Alinka, that looks incredible! Russian scrapple?!

Edited by spaghetttti (log)

Yetty CintaS

I am spaghetttti

Alinka, that liversausage looks exactly like the cheap leverworst that is very popular in the Netherlands as a snack with drinks.. in most bars you can order a portion of this, in big chunks, and it usually comes with a bowl of very sharp or coarse grain mustard. And you're right, is does not taste much like liver!

Percyn, that is one good looking breakfast. And of course, the addition of duck makes it even better!! You do have a way with eggs, which leads me to this question...what's with the eggs? Not that it's a bad thing, but I noticed that a lot of your breakfast posts include eggs. (You may have mentioned it in previous post, but I just got back from dinner and am a little loopy and don't want to go through 33 pages to find out...)

Karen C.

"Oh, suddenly life’s fun, suddenly there’s a reason to get up in the morning – it’s called bacon!" - Sookie St. James

Travelogue: Ten days in Tuscany

Someone gave me these big, thick, delicious, gourmet English muffins as a gift

Percy,

Were the english muffins from Wolferman's by any chance? My sister just sent a bunch (6 different flavors) of Wolferman's english muffins to my husband for his birthday. They're great!

Cleo

This morning I had to conduct an admissions interview for my alma mater, and took the interviewee to a new cafe just around the corner...I had the most ridiculous chocolate croissant - it was so delicious. I'm definitely going back! Not quite as good as yesterday's risotto, but not too shabby!

"We had dry martinis; great wing-shaped glasses of perfumed fire, tangy as the early morning air." - Elaine Dundy, The Dud Avocado

Queenie Takes Manhattan

eG Foodblogs: 2006 - 2007

Breakfast for one as the SO is not feeling well. Decided to indulge in a teenage years favourite since I had been shopping yesterday. Patty on a bun and a Ting. (Jamaican meat patty on coco bread with a grapefruit soda) Awesome.

Barbara Laidlaw aka "Jake"

Good friends help you move, real friends help you move bodies.

Running late for work this morning--I grabbed the closest food item I could find, which was a chocolate bar on my dresser. Washed it down with a Coke (a bit icy because I had it in my car, and it's been really cold up here lately.) Also managed to swallow, with a bit of difficulty, a slice of very dry sponge cake, compliments of my student's mom. :wink: