• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast! The most important meal of the day (2004-2011)

percyn

Woke up early to go shoot some sunrise pictures:

010.JPG

Which worked up a significant appetite, which I satisfied with bran muffins, bacon, and a double-yolked, over-easy-in-the-bacon-fat, farm egg. And a large mug of cafe au lait.

017.JPG

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Wow, Percyn! That looks like 800 calories and a cholesterol bomb. :blink:

I bet it was tasty and wish I could have one, or even half. :wub:

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

• 2 weeks later...

This morning's breakfast was a pastrami and Swiss sandwich enjoyed at 8:30 a.m. at a little country store where they smoke their own meat. Exquisite. Not sure why I didn't photograph it.

But I was hungry again when I got back home, so I had a "tide me over" snack of sausage and cheese bread topped with onion jam.

DSC_0124.JPG

The sausage and cheese bread I had in the freezer from a BIG batch a few weeks back, and the onion jam was made from the onions fished out of a tripled recipe of Marcella Hazen's tomato butter sauce. Discard those onions? Not HARDLY, Marcella!

Don't ask. Eat it.

This was my breakfast last Sunday. A simple croissant (store bought), over easy egg and smoked bacon.

That egg does not look like it was flipped and the yolk is so pristine and intact. Can you describe your cooking method?

PS: Welcome!

... Discard those onions? Not HARDLY, Marcella!

Ha ha ! I tend to save these now, though I tossed plenty of them before. How does onion jam keep ?

Xilimmns, that looks good, but in American English, don't you have to turn over-easy eggs ?

Edited by Blether (log)

QUIET!  People are trying to pontificate.

... Discard those onions? Not HARDLY, Marcella!

Ha ha ! I tend to save these now, though I tossed plenty of them before. How does onion jam keep ?

Well, I've had that batch in my fridge for three weeks in a plastic container, and it's still good. I'm of the opinion that anything with tomatos, onion and balsamic vinegar in it will be good until you see it sprouting mold. And this has not....yet.

Don't ask. Eat it.

Heidih, thanks and you're right, I did not flip that egg. It was cooked for a few minutes in a 350F oven, inside of an English muffin ring on a Silpat mat.

Xilimmns,

Welcome to eGullet!

Great looking breakfast and I am going to try to make the egg your way - look delicious - need a yolk shot :wink:

This was my breakfast last Sunday. A simple croissant (store bought), over easy egg and smoked bacon.

Very pretty egg!

Edited by MSRadell (log)

I've learned that artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

• 2 weeks later...

Welcome home, Percy ?

The other day, funnily enough, roast chicken, because other plans took over the previous night:

DSCF0963.jpg

I rustled up a salad to keep it from just being bread-and-meat:

DSCF0966.jpg

QUIET!  People are trying to pontificate.

003.JPG

Farm egg cooked in butter and truffle oil; slab bacon and smoked venison sausage; cheese grits and an onion roll with fig jam. That'll tide me over until brisket tonight.

Don't ask. Eat it.