• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast! The most important meal of the day (2004-2011)

percyn

Farmstand tomatoes, marinated cucumber and onion, avocado, pork tenderloin (marinated in Meyer lemon juice and zest, olive oil, garlic and fresh tarragon) - mixed with a bit of Greek yogurt and lots of snipped dill. The wholewheat croutons were left to soak in the puddle of lovely juices at the bottom of the bowl and enjoyed at the end. Red pepper flakes were involved as well.

DSCN1102.JPG

Omelette-06.jpg

Bacon and Mushroom Breakfast "Pizza" - I cooked the bacon until crisp and sauteed the mushrooms with some onion in butter and set them aside. I seasoned the eggs with a small pinch of oregano, granulated garlic, salt and black pepper and cooked them in more butter. When the eggs were almost set, I topped them with shredded mozzarella and the mushroom mix and put the pan under a pre-heated broiler just until the cheese was melted and bubbly; then slid them out onto my plate. After taking the photo, I crumbled the bacon on top.

Lovely breakfasts, all! I especially approve of pork in the morning, heidih. :biggrin:

My breakfast might not be everyone's idea of bliss first thing in the morning, but I LOVED it..barramundi bellies and 'wings' (the side bit of the fish), simmered nitsuke-style, in sake, soy, mirin, sugar, dashi and big slices of ginger to chew on at the end.

So good..the wings (of any fish, really) are so deliciously tender and sticky with glorious fat and collagen. Mmm.

2011-07-13 at 12.37.08.jpg

Edited by rarerollingobject (log)

I made myself and my boys cheddar omlettes. Still amazes me how much food my two year old and my four year old can get through at breakfast.

I made 3x 3 egg omlettes, and both boys finished theirs off along with a couple of pieces of toast. Seriously, how can a 20 pound two year old eat 3 eggs, two pieces of toast and a banana for breakfast? Where does it all go!

Wife had her traditional half cup of muesli and yogurt in a mug, like she does every morning.

I decided to reformat my coffee, this morning.

DSCN6850.jpg

Konnjaku powder, instant coffee, black pepper, cacao, some freshly ground cinnamon, a few flakes of salt. Topped with a little more cacao, and some chestnut honey (since this made me think of grass jelly, which I've usually had with golden syrup over it).

Michaela, aka "Mjx"
Manager, eG Forums
mscioscia@egstaff.org

Leftover pulled pork barbecue, atop a split, buttered and toasted yeast roll, topped with scrambled eggs and a sprinkle of barbecue dry rub.

008.JPG

I prefer my eggs over easy, but I broke a yolk (my current supplier of farm eggs for some reason has eggs with REALLY delicate yolks!), so I scrambled 'em.

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Rhubarb and stem ginger crumble. With buffalo yoghurt on the side.rhubarb.jpg
This could be the best breakfast in all of history. it looks AMAZING.

Thank you! It was delicious..I do love stem ginger, and I've come to rhubarb late in life so am making up for lost time. :smile:

I decided to reformat my coffee, this morning.DSCN6850.jpgKonnjaku powder, instant coffee, black pepper, cacao, some freshly ground cinnamon, a few flakes of salt. Topped with a little more cacao, and some chestnut honey (since this made me think of grass jelly, which I've usually had with golden syrup over it).

Verrry interesting. So you turned all that into a jelly and ate the cubes? Original!

Leftover pulled pork barbecue, atop a split, buttered and toasted yeast roll, topped with scrambled eggs and a sprinkle of barbecue dry rub.008.JPGI prefer my eggs over easy, but I broke a yolk (my current supplier of farm eggs for some reason has eggs with REALLY delicate yolks!), so I scrambled 'em.

Mmm..I've never had proper pulled pork but even the name is evocatively delicious.

Breakfast here was quinoa bread, a past-its-prime avocado, chunks of smoked eel and horseradish cream. Followed by a rather large bowl of cumquats.

IMG_2833.JPG

IMG_2835.JPG

RRO, it's easy enough to have proper pulled pork. My tutorial is here. If you don't have access to a grill on which you can achieve indirect heat, you can achieve a similar result in a low oven (maybe 275) on a rack in a roasting pan.

I swear, you'll think you're in Memphis.

Don't ask. Eat it.

Kim and Percyn - thanks for compliments on previous breakfasts.

Sunny%252520Side%252520Up.jpg

This was Saturday morning's breakfast - just a simple sunny side up egg, fried in butter, and two slices of applewood smoked bacon.

kayb - Wright's is my bacon of choice, too.

Edited by robirdstx (log)

The weather or season is usually not right for this breakfast, so when there is a cold-spell here in July or August (last week) I jump at the chance to have this treat: steel cut oats with a fresh ripe peach as a topper. The last half of the bowl is best: by that time the remaining peaches have settled in and become warm and melty. Nice with plums or pluots, too.

RRO, your pic of the bowl of Kumquats made me buy some from the grocery. Ate some and plan to made a marmalade from the rest.

Parmhero, how long did you boil the eggs for? Any special technique? I have been making mine in an immersion circulator set at 63.8C

---

Today's breakfast was Truffled Lobster Soft Scrambled Eggs.

CIMG9963-1200.jpg

Percy, Truffled Lobster Soft Scrambled Eggs, mmm… very posh …

Re: Soft Boiled Egg Cooking Technique

My soft boiled egg technique is simple, and uses no special equipment. Put eggs into a small pot, cover with cold water, and bring to a boil. After boiling begins, wait about 30 seconds to one minute (depending on the size of the egg) and remove the eggs with a slotted spoon. I run the eggs under cold water briefly, which stops the cooking process and allows you to handle them easier. You could also use a mitten, pot holder, etc. The removal of the egg from the shell requires some finesse. Gently tap the egg all around near the small end and carefully remove the top. Into the lower portion that contains the yolk, slip a teaspoon between the egg and the shell and swirl the spoon around the inner rim of the shell, separating the egg from the shell, then dislodge the egg and gently slide it into a bowl with one motion. Voila!

With experience, you learn to gauge when the eggs are cooked just right, and you can either leave them in the boiling water until perfectly cooked, or remove them from the pot and, rather than running them under cold water, let them sit on the counter for a bit to harden further before opening and removing.

"Yo, I want one of those!"

gfweb – I like your ‘old school’ breakfast very much. As much as I love bacon, sausage is really my very favorite breakfast meat and those potatoes look perfect. Were they parboiled before frying?

Jan – that salmon looks gorgeous and the addition of the hollandaise puts it over the top!

percyn – your pizza with the egg gave me a real ‘duh’ moment. I hardly EVER make my own pizza, but we order it all the time. I keep thinking that the next time I make one, I should add an egg, but never thought of putting it on leftover pizza. What a great idea!

kayb – since Mr. Kim got into smoking, we almost always have some pulled pork in the freezer. I’m always looking for ways to use it. I’ve put it on cornbread waffles, but never thought of under eggs! Wonderful!

deensiebat – those pancakes are just gorgeous!

Breakfast this morning was steak and eggs:

med_gallery_3331_114_135993.jpg

Leftover steak from last night. Mr. Kim’s eggs were cooked in some of the jalapeno compound butter that he made awhile back. Plus tomatoes and Swiss & onion bread.

Mine included a breakfast favorite from my childhood:

med_gallery_3331_114_60966.jpg

Tomatoes on toast with a dollop of mayo. I wasn’t much for breakfast as a kid, but if there were good tomatoes, Momma could always tempt me with this.

Between kayb and Zeemanb’s blog, I have been DREAMING of bacon jam. So I’ve got kayb’s recipe on the stove right now. Guess I’ll have to throw together some of Jerry’s cheese and herb poppers, too! Important question here: Bacon Jam – served warm or cold?

Between kayb and Zeemanb’s blog, I have been DREAMING of bacon jam. So I’ve got kayb’s recipe on the stove right now. Guess I’ll have to throw together some of Jerry’s cheese and herb poppers, too! Important question here: Bacon Jam – served warm or cold?

Warm! I just scoop out what I want to use, put it on what I want to use it on, and run it in the toaster or the microwave. Or you can microwave enough to serve in a container. You don't need it really warm, just enought take the chill off and make it pliable.

Let me know what you think. I'll be anxious to hear.

Don't ask. Eat it.