• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast! The most important meal of the day (2004-2011)

percyn

I've been trying to come up with a way to make scones without butter (can't eat butter because of cholesterol - argh), and after some experimentation, I think I finally hit on it. I made these this weekend and they were a huge hit, so I posted them on my blog. Here's the recipe and a photo. I was especially excited about how pretty they turned out! Next time I may add walnuts and orange zest. It's a process....

Oat and Currant Scones

1 cup old fashioned rolled oats

3/4 c. whole wheat pastry flour

1/2 c. all purpose flour

1/4 c. packed brown sugar

1 t. baking powder

1/2 t. salt

1/2 c. organic canola oil

1/2 c. nonfat yogurt

1 egg

1 t. vanilla

1/3 c. dried currants

For glaze:

2 t. fresh lemon juice

2 T. confectioner’s sugar

Preheat oven to 375. Mix the dry ingredients in one bowl. Whisk the oil, yogurt, egg and vanilla in another. Mix the two, stirring briefly to combine. Let the batter sit for 5 minutes, then fold in the currants. Pat the dough into an 8-inch round on a baking sheet sprayed with cooking oil spray. Cut into 8 wedges with a knife, using a spatula to move each wedge away from the circle to space them apart. (This may be a little tricky, as the dough is quite wet.) Mix the lemon juice and confectioner’s sugar and brush a small amount of glaze on the top of each scone. Bake for 18 minutes, or until the scones are lightly golden.

scones.jpg

Edited by cathyeats (log)

Those look beautiful, Cathy. Looks like a very successful adaptation of the recipe.

I'm just curious...why not just use a vegetable margarine in place of the butter? I know why I wouldn't :smile: I'm just wondering if it would be a textural or density thing or if it changes the final product in some way? I'm curious about the science of these sorts of things.

Don't try to win over the haters. You're not the jackass whisperer."

Scott Stratten

Mother's Day -

Perfectly fried eggs - no runny white, totally runny yolks, little bits of pepper from the bacon fat.

Wheat toast w scads of butter

Henry's Pepper Bacon (baked flat and ignored til perfect, thanks to eGullet & a few runs to optimize time and temp for our oven & preferred bacon).

Coffee.

It was good. I want to have it again, for dinner tonight!

"You dont know everything in the world! You just know how to read!" -an ah-hah! moment for 6-yr old Miss O.

Badiane, the reason I don't use margarine is that most of them are quite unhealthy. They either have trans fats (partially hydrogenated oils), or palm oil, which is very high in saturated fat. So oil is just a better and more natural choice for someone like me, who has heart issues. And it works perfectly in a recipe like this!

Have a cold so wanted something spicy and comforting; bokkum gochujang (ground pork stir fried with Korean chilli paste, honey, garlic, ginger and rice wine) and sigeumchi namul (blanched spinach with sesame oil, garlic, green onions and soy sauce).

This was perfect; the long, slow, building burn of the gochujang had me gulping mouthfuls of the cool spinach by the end of it, just to damp down the fire!

bokkum.jpg

Cathyeats, the oat scones look great - going to give them a try.

The Philip Mahl Community teaching kitchen is now open. Check it out. "Philip Mahl Memorial Kitchen" on Facebook. Website coming soon.

cathyeats – those scones are gorgeous. I’ll be trying your recipe. They look nice and moist, too.

dcarch – Welcome! What lovely and imaginative food! I really love the bacon horns – did you do those on foil forms?

We got our first CSA basket Friday afternoon. This is our first experience with a CSA and we’re looking forward to seeing what we get throughout the spring, summer and fall. Breakfast included free range eggs and strawberries from our basket:

gallery_3331_117_62274.jpg

Also buttermilk pancakes with blueberries and link sausage. Wonderful meal.

Look at those yolks:

gallery_3331_117_72451.jpg

This morning’s breakfast:

gallery_3331_117_126492.jpg

More of those gorgeous free range eggs, poached VERY badly :sad: .

cathyeats – ----

dcarch – Welcome! What lovely and imaginative food! I really love the bacon horns – did you do those on foil forms?

-

Thanks Kim for the welcome and kind words.

The bacon horns were made with a metal form that I have.

dcarch

And today, my first attempt at aebleskivers -- got the pan as a Christmas gift, finally getting around to using it. These are stuffed with browned sausage, topped with a drizzle of honey, and served with apple butter.

aebleskivers.jpg

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

oh yum!!! I recently moved to the Lebanon so having far too much fun buying breakfast out

( mankoushe/kneffe etc) to have cooked in a while but that has inspired me for sure! I couldnt quite see from the photo - what exactly is "your" pan con tomate as opposed to regular SOBA?

Edited by nikkib (log)

"Experience is something you gain just after you needed it" ....A Wise man

Soba – lovely, as always! I am very ready for tomatoes and yours look perfect.

Bruce – your omelet looks beautiful. How do you get the caramelized looking crust?

Mr. Kim is off to AZ for the week on Tuesday and so I made him a good bon voyage breakfast this morning (I believe they find SMOOTHIES an adequate breakfast out there :raz: ):

gallery_3331_117_177046.jpg

Scrambled eggs (CSA), sage sausage and biscuits. That oughta hold him.

Bruce – your omelet looks beautiful. How do you get the caramelized looking crust?

Thank you, Kim. I preheated the pan before adding butter, and then let the butter brown before adding the eggs. By the time I finished fumbling around with the fillings, the omelet was about done.

I hope Mr. Kim appreciated his send-off.