• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast! The most important meal of the day (2004-2011)

percyn

Trying to add more vegetables into my diet as i have been feeling a bit run down recently but any excse for a cooked breakfast suits me! Poached Egg with aspargus and mushrooms with fresh green chilli

720.JPG721.JPG

"Experience is something you gain just after you needed it" ....A Wise man

101_0026.JPG

:biggrin: I have been following this thread for a while - the pictures all look great, I must try something different sometime. Our breakfasts are all rather conventional. Three days poached haddock or cod with poached egg, three days English fried with our own home cured bacon and one day porridge with dem. sugar and cream. Something that always puzzles’ me is why in UK hotels they can’t fry tomatoes properly. You always get half of an, often under ripe tomato, pale and half cooked - yuck! The only fried tomatoes worth eating are ripe ones, sliced and nicely caramelised on the outside. The bacon today was a bit too lean for my taste that is the trouble with not breeding our own pigs these days.

Pam Brunning Editor Food & Wine, the Journal of the European & African Region of the International Wine & Food Society

My link

Huevos Rancheros

IMG_4063.jpg

Oh, dear sweet baby Jesus. That looks absolute wonderful. I believe if I knew it were my last breakfast on earth, that's what I'd want.

This morning, I went to the racetrack and ate at the track kitchen with the jockeys and trainers. Had eggs over easy, bacon, grits, biscuits and gravy. And then strolled through the stables and smelled hay and horses and watched the horses work out. Enjoyed bright winter sunshine and temps getting close to the 60s. Gorgeous day!

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Morning fresh 100% wholewheat from the breadmaker; scrambled old-fashioned-flavour eggs adulterated with the last spoonful or two of a pot of Marcella's Tomato, Butter & Onion pasta sauce, and a little grated parmesan:

DSCF0021.JPG

Mmm-mm.

Edited by Blether (log)

QUIET!  People are trying to pontificate.

Have to ask someone. Anyone.

Where do you all find the time and energy to make such incredible breakfasts? And how often do you do it? And how early do you have to be at work? And do you really feel like going to that much trouble in the morning? And do you really care what you eat in the morning? :unsure: Thanks.

ps. Not to mention photographing your breakfast too! :wacko:

Edited by Darienne (log)

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Where do you all find the time and energy to make such incredible breakfasts? And how often do you do it? And how early do you have to be at work? And do you really feel like going to that much trouble in the morning? And do you really care what you eat in the morning? :unsure: Thanks.

I cook breakfast maybe twice a week, on the weekends. Unless I have one of my "can't sleep" mornings and get up at 3:30 a.m. and make muffins or something. The rest of the time it's either fruit salad or muffins or sausage biscuits I made on the weekend for Child C's and my weekday breakfasts, or the once-every-two-weeks fast-food binge on Burger King French toast sticks, which are really pretty good and probably absolutely horrible for me.

Don't ask. Eat it.

menuinprogress – your Huevos Rancheros look absolutely delicious!

Pam – your ‘conventional’ breakfast looks wonderful to me. We are planning a trip to England next year and I hope all my breakfasts look as good that!

Darienne – I work, so I only make breakfast on the weekends. And I usually only make it one of the weekend days – we usually eat breakfast out one of the days before shopping. Most of my breakfasts are fairly ordinary – eggs, bacon or sausage and some kind of bread. Sometimes I’ll do grits or potatoes, but I save the ‘all out’ breakfasts for company or special occasions. Weekdays, I have a purchased yogurt smoothie or a couple of pretzels with my morning pills :raz: !

Speaking of ordinary, yesterday’s breakfast:

P1030939.JPG

Eggs, grits, grapes and toast.

Thanks all for the answers. I guess I am curious because Ed, DH, and I had breakfast together for years after he retired. And he mostly made it. And it could be a bit of a production. And he could get quite ratty over the short order part of it. And then sometimes he was annoyed because it ate up (good one, just tumbled out! :raz: ) part of the morning. And increasingly we didn't eat the same things.

So about three weeks ago, we called an end to this familiar pattern and life is much better. (We did have bacon and eggs together today and he made it. No way on this earth that I am cooking him a fried egg. Scrambled? That's my job.)

Now he eats about an hour before I do while I work on the computer catching up. He eats hard-boiled eggs (yecch) or granola (which I make but don't eat right now on my weight loss regime). I have a low carb smoothie or lox (he hates:I love) and something or nutola (low carb sub for granola), etc. Sorry, no photos. :laugh:

BTW, Friday, March 5th is our 50th anniversary, so something must be going right!! :wub: I don't know about breakfast that day, but supper will be 'dessert as supper' night.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Today's weekend breakfast cookery for the rest of the week:

Bran muffins with figs and walnuts:

007.JPG

Sausage and biscuits (homemade biscuits; sausage from my organic free-range meat purveyor)

002.JPG

Feeling somewhat ambitious, I even made up a batch of pimento cheese for lunches. Now I feel very virtuous, and think I'll take a nap.

Darienne, congrats on the anniversary! Have a wonderful day!

Don't ask. Eat it.

Bran muffins with figs and walnuts:

Darienne, congrats on the anniversary! Have a wonderful day!

Thank you for the wishes. Lovely muffins and you deserve a nap!!

Edited by Darienne (log)

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Not sure I can comment on the "incredible" part, but since I started the thread it is probably not a surprise that breakfast is pretty important to me - in fact it is my favorite and I need some protein in the morning to start the day.

On weekdays I grab some boiled egg whites (easy now that boiled eggs are sold pre-packaged in the grocery store) and 1/2 a bagel with some Swedish smoked roe cream cheese which I discovered in Stockholm and glad that Ikea also carries.

On weekends, I try to make my own breakfast or go for brunch. I love properly made (French style) soft scrambled eggs which are hard to find at local breakfast places around here as well as smoked duck breast :wub:

Anyway, I could eat breakfast for all 3 meals :raz:

Thanks for your answer, Percy. And I do think 'incredible' is well suited to the dishes you make.

We always eat a sizable breakfast, although not always interesting. I am not usually concerned with that aspect of my morning food. Now, my morning coffee...there's where I am concerned. DH, Ed, brings me coffee in bed every morning for the past few years and for that he is beyond reproach. :rolleyes:

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

I only ever make breakfast on the weekends, and it's usually more of a brunch. I'm just trying to get into photographing my breakfasts and dinners to post here, but they're never very exciting.

Today I had a couple eggs scrambled with tomato, feta, and some leftover couscous (really, there was more couscous than egg in this dish)...

eg_eggscouscous.jpg

I'm gonna go bake something…

wanna come with?

Syncronicity ? A couple of eggs + some leftover egg, a couple of leftover canned tomatoes and the last ounce or two of saffron rice, accompanied by leek & potato soup.

DSCF0025.JPG

The green leaves are shungiku, and it's hinamatsuri today, a national holiday - both of which mean spring must really be here.

QUIET!  People are trying to pontificate.

Another run of the mill breakfast yesterday morning started with these:

med_gallery_3331_117_154259.jpg

Just biscuits – I have no idea what would cause the splits that occurred in the top of some of them.

With the biscuits we had scrambled eggs, Benton’s bacon, and sausage. I used almost the last of my lovely Little Scarlet strawberry preserves :( on my biscuit and Mr. Kim had Toast Dope:

med_gallery_3331_117_196979.jpg

I haven't visited this thread for a while, but now I'm drooling over "Swedish smoked roe cream cheese". I hope our IKEA has it. Never set foot in the place, but it definitely sounds like a reason to go.

V

What I have for breakfast varies. It can be dinner leftovers or more traditional breakfast foods but for the last two days I've been having sandwiches, using the BBA White Bread I baked on Saturday.

Ham and Swiss with Red and Green Leaf Lettuce, Mayo and Deli Mustard

HamAndSwissSandwich.jpg

and Grilled Cheese

GrilledCheeseSandwich.jpg