• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast! The most important meal of the day (2004-2011)

percyn

What, no other breakfast pie eaters???

Got me! :laugh: I've had a piece of pumpkin pie with my morning coffee twice.

We didn't have a turkey at Thanksgiving, but on Saturday morning, I fixed us squab-pancetta-wild mushroom-roasted shallot and potato hash to go with our eggs! I often use leftovers for the hash thing for brunch by myself on weekdays that I'm off. Today I used leftover chicken. Yesterday was one of my more unusual ones, shredded leftover Brussels sprouts and potatoes. Weird, but good!

gallery_13038_284_1101839216.jpg

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

What, no other breakfast pie eaters???

We've been enjoying sweet potato and pear ginger pie for the last few days.  (Last piece today).

Here is what my wife had for breakfast a few days ago....I swear there is pie underneath that whipped cream somewhere...honest.. :raz:

gallery_21049_162_1101865373.jpg

Ok,

If you ever have left over Okra with Lamb and are wondering what to do with it, do not fear..... as long as an egg is near :rolleyes:

gallery_21049_162_1101865400.jpg

Simmer some of the okra in a small frying pan and crack an egg in it (be careful not to break the yolk). Add a few tablespoons of water and cover the egg on medium low heat - you basically want to poach the egg in the okra and its gravy).

Serve with some roti or flatbread (bread will do too)...squeeze some lemon juice on it right before enjoying it.

gallery_21049_162_1101865430.jpg

Cheers

P

Edited by percyn (log)

Day after Thanksgiving...being turkeyed out and waiting for the wife to return from shopping..... pancakes...simple, yet delicious

gallery_21049_162_1101484086.jpg

I want my husband to make me THOSE pancakes while I am out shopping. Can you teach him?

(don't tell me you ate them all yourself..)

Sometimes, nothing hits the spot like a good ol' bowl of Chinese ramen noodles. Not the kind you get at the local supermarket that goes for 10 for a dollar. The real stuff that you get from the Asian supermarket that has all the mispelled English words!

Top it with a lil' sesame oil and there's my breakfast.

Although those pancakes look dang sexy!

All Philly ---Scrapple,(rapa)Pork Roll(Trenton)Tastykakes,Shady Maple smoked Bacon,Scrambled Eggs,Coffee,o.j.and toast-----Brother,s up from Florida for T-giving week--My Brother said it was the best meal all week including t-dAY--GO FIGGA

Dave s

"Food is our common ground,a universal experience"

James Beard

Percy, I don't know what it is... but your eggs just do something to me.  :wub:

:biggrin:

I was just going to post the same thing! They look so moist and creamy yellow--I see that he adds half and half to it. Maybe that's the secret? :wink:

I had 5 scrambled eggs and 2 cups of coffee for breakfast. Sadly, my eggs did not look like Percy's.

(btw Percy, was that breakfast pie leftovers from your Thanksgiving dinner? The crust looks really good.)

I was just going to post the same thing! They look so moist and creamy yellow--I see that he adds half and half to it. Maybe that's the secret?  :wink:

I had 5 scrambled eggs and 2 cups of coffee for breakfast. Sadly, my eggs did not look like Percy's.

(btw Percy, was that breakfast pie leftovers from your Thanksgiving dinner? The crust looks really good.)

You ladies are making me blush... :wub: I really don't think the eggs I make for breakfast are any different than what others make.

Ling, the secret if any is to use really fresh eggs. I get mine from a farm (which I don't think pasturizes its eggs. Reminds me- I need to buy some more today, maybe I will take pics of the farm and post them). I have always added a splash of 1/2 and 1/2 or whole milk to scrambled eggs. Doesn't everyone? And yes, the pie hidden under the whipped cream was a slice of leftover pumpkin pie from Thanksgiving. Unfortunately, I did not bake the pies due to the other things I was making on Thanksgiving day. I am not much of a baker, but I can make a mean molten chocolate souffle cake. These pies were purchased from a French baker who amongst all things works in our cafeteria :wink:

One day when we have a North America eG get-together, I will make everyone breakfast, as per Susan's request :biggrin:

BTW, I did ask Sobba if I could blog the week of Dec 26th, but he said the schedule is full for the next 5 weeks :sad:

Cheers

Percy

Day after Thanksgiving...being turkeyed out and waiting for the wife to return from shopping..... pancakes...simple, yet delicious

[pic deleted]

I want my husband to make me THOSE pancakes while I am out shopping. Can you teach him?

(don't tell me you ate them all yourself..)

Chufi,

You will laugh once I tell you how easy these are to make....I used a very common grocery store brand mix....Bisquick !! Just add 1 cup water to the container, shake 30 sec and pour batter into a hot skillet :shock::laugh::raz::rolleyes:

QGRFP.jpg

I have tried fancy gourmet varieties but sometimes the simple things are better. I have had some mighty good pancakes at local Bed & Breakfasts, but I would rather have someone make those than me...I will stick to making eggs (must be a delayed rebellion, as I was only allowed 1 small egg a day when I was a kid) :raz: .

Cheers

P

we had leftovers from a very nice restaurant dinner last night so I made pork and apple hash with sage, Dayne made eggs and eggnog lattes to go with. Turned out very yummy! someone had been looking for a recipe yesterday for a creamy apple hash and it made me think to make this.

gallery_16100_231_1102184508.jpg

Edited by little ms foodie (log)

]

Chufi,

You will laugh once I tell you how easy these are to make....I used a very common grocery store brand mix....Bisquick !!

Thanks percyn. But it's not THAT easy when you live somewhere where Bisquick does not exist!

]

Chufi,

You will laugh once I tell you how easy these are to make....I used a very common grocery store brand mix....Bisquick !!

Thanks percyn. But it's not THAT easy when you live somewhere where Bisquick does not exist!

Chufi, I've seen Bisquick in Europe at stores that sell American brand name stuff to homesick Americans (not sure if there is one in Amsterdam). If you would like some, PM me and I will be glad to mail some to you.

Cheers

P

Having been inspired by lmf's apple and pork and apple hash, here is my rendition...

Holiday Sausage (pork, chianti, sage, misc spices) and apple hash.

gallery_21049_162_1102263239.jpg

As promised, here are pics of the farm I get the eggs from (I was saving this info for the blog I am likely to do in the future, but here is a teaser..)

The Store

gallery_21049_162_1102263186.jpg

Cows grazing in the farm (they will sell you milk if you bring your own container)

gallery_21049_162_1102263710.jpg

Amish buggy on the way to the farm

gallery_21049_162_1102263434.jpg

Goodies from the farm (eggs, dinner rolls and banana nut bread)

gallery_21049_162_1102263265.jpg

Cheers

Percy