• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast! The most important meal of the day (2004-2011)

percyn

Just after I was saying how I don't eat breakfast often, it's been three days in a row.

This morning I invited a friend/colleague over before she went to work. She loves French Toast and I made Orange French Toast, assembled last night and baked this morning, with Johnnybird's Toast Dope sprinkled on it before baking. We ate it with butter and maple syrup on it, and I was in sugar shock the rest of the morning.

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

Liverwurst sandwich with onions, spicey mustard, mayo, and fried onions on a flax seed roll.  Perfect easy way to start the day.

Great minds think almost alike. Toasted Acme sourdough, smeared with Malle Dijon and liverwurst. Mine was easier and faster to assemble.

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

:raz:... <== me drooling over liverwurst sandwiches. I don't know why I never thought of having it for brekkie before!

gallery_21369_204_1097649296.jpg

Today was a gorgeous fall day! Bright, but not too bright. So carefree, in fact, that indecisiveness called things even with a half roasted tomato, half smoked salmon omelette. Toppings and fillings in no order: gruyere, parmesan, thyme, dill, parsley, and capers. The parental units arrived home from a friend's garden with the baby tomatoes the night before. I gave them (the tomatoes, not the p.u.'s) overnight neutrality before tossing them up in evoo and sopping up the remains with fresh (buttered) parmasan toasts while contemplating the greater aspirations of the goodies before me.

Run the earth. Watch the sky.

This morning: leftover cilantro polenta - cheese - pinto bean casserole thingy from last night's dinner. And a glass of milk.

It was goooooooooooood.

Nikki Hershberger

An oyster met an oyster

And they were oysters two.

Two oysters met two oysters

And they were oysters too.

Four oysters met a pint of milk

And they were oyster stew.

Chopped Fuji apple topped with Greek yogurt (yay, Trader Joe's!) and chopped roasted almonds. English breakfast tea with a bit of turbinado sugar added in. Needless to say, I got up before anyone else. :wink:

Kathy

Cooking is like love. It should be entered into with abandon or not at all. - Harriet Van Horne

Long flax roll with soy nut butter, tahini, dessicated coconut, and BBQ sauce on it. Then placed under a broiler open face to let the coconut brown.

He don't mix meat and dairy,

He don't eat humble pie,

So sing a miserere

And hang the bastard high!

- Richard Wilbur and John LaTouche from Candide

I'm not a big breakfaster either but love it when I have it.

This morning I was starving. Two sm'eggs (what I call that real egg stuff in the cartons), scrambled with red onion, a bit of leftover braised pork steak and potato. Stuffed in flour tortilla quarters and topped with salsa verde. Coffee. Mango/lime juice.

Judith Love

North of the 30th parallel

One woman very courteously approached me in a grocery store, saying, "Excuse me, but I must ask why you've brought your dog into the store." I told her that Grace is a service dog.... "Excuse me, but you told me that your dog is allowed in the store because she's a service dog. Is she Army or Navy?" Terry Thistlewaite

Smoked Duck breast with free-range, hormone-free, farm-fresh egg, over-easy in some duck fat and clarified butter (hey, nobody said this was diet food !! Actually since breakfast seems to be a weekend meal for most of us, why not splurge ??)

gallery_21049_162_1097958342.jpg

Seriously, if you have not tried the D'Artagnan smoked duck breast, run to your grocer or order it from the D'Artagnan website, it is just fabulous. I usually eat this for breakfast (instead of beacon) or sometimes get their duck (leg) confit.

gallery_21049_162_1097957862.jpg

Cheers

Percy

I made my daughter's chocolate chip and came up with this method to avoid the melted chocolate on the skillet: Pour the pancakes and sprinkle on the chips, then dab on a bit of batter on each chip before turning each one.

ooh, thanks for the great idea...this morning I made buttermilk pancakes and i made S/O's with bananas. I make these pancakes in a cast iron pan and when i flipped the banana pancakes, the banana left some residue so the subsequent pancakes stuck a bit.

My favorite part about this breakfast is not the pancakes themselves (which are delicious) but all the Stuff i serve with them: maple syrup, lemon curd, Nutella, various jams and marmalades.....S/O sticks with the Sarabeth's Peach Apricot, but I have to have a little bit of everything (one at a time) on each one.

You can also sprinkle granulated maple sugar on the top of a pancake just prior to flipping it over. The sugar carmelizes and is just yummy. (sorry, to those who object to using words like "yummy", but it really is!)

I sprinkle it on my "mock" French toast, which is bread pudding, baked in a loaf pan then chilled, sliced and cooked on a griddle. Quick, no mess and the flavor is exactly the same, only better.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Smoked Duck breast with free-range, hormone-free, farm-fresh egg, over-easy in some duck fat and clarified butter (hey, nobody said this was diet food !! Actually since breakfast seems to be a weekend meal for most of us, why not splurge ??)

gallery_21049_162_1097958342.jpg

Seriously, if you have not tried the D'Artagnan smoked duck breast, run to your grocer or order it from the D'Artagnan website, it is just fabulous. I usually eat this for breakfast (instead of beacon) or sometimes get their duck (leg) confit.

gallery_21049_162_1097957862.jpg

Cheers

Percy

What a wonderful breakfast idea. Thanks for the recommendation of the D'Artagnan smoked duck breast. I'm drooling again... The eggs you cook rule!

This morning Russ made us sandwiches of sausage, egg, and cheese on toasted bread, with some of our big sage leaves in between the sausage and the cheese.

gallery_13038_223_1097978322.jpg

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.