• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast! The most important meal of the day (2004-2011)

percyn

oaty, golden syrup buns... used some bread dough I'd made and not shaped, realised we all like something sweet in the morning! the oats and barley flakes make it sound wholesome and sensible :raz:

Spam in my pantry at home.

Think of expiration, better read the label now.

Spam breakfast, dinner or lunch.

Think about how it's been pre-cooked, wonder if I'll just eat it cold.

wierd al ~ spam

Being that I am in Bangkok, I had Shrimp Pad Thai and some amazing fruit for breakfast. I would have posted pics if the stupid airline didn't misplace my bag with the camera cable in it.

Cheers

Percy

Cool! Maybe I should post my hotel breakfast in Alabama tomorrow :biggrin:. Let's see... "Two Grade A eggs, two strips of Hormel bacon and a choice of breakfast bread served with Skillet Browns"... Nah, don't think so :biggrin:.

Percyn, make sure you take lots of pictures for us!

porridge, truly the nicest bowl of porridge I've had in quite some time, creamy, slightly salty and tasted of lovely nutty oats. :wub:

Spam in my pantry at home.

Think of expiration, better read the label now.

Spam breakfast, dinner or lunch.

Think about how it's been pre-cooked, wonder if I'll just eat it cold.

wierd al ~ spam

blt on toasted wheat bread with miracle whip

the tomatoes are finally coming in up here and this is the best way i know to eat them :biggrin:

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

percyn, what's all that stuff on the last plate?

For me, finally - a home-made, healthy breakfast: whole wheat Irish soda bread with dried cranberries :smile:.

ME WANT RECIPE, PLEASE?

YOU GOT RECIPE :biggrin:.

I will need to figure out how to upload pictures on RecipeGullet. Here's how the loaves looked uncut:

IrishSodaWhole-vi.jpg

Alinka,

On the plate is:

Amazingly sweet Papaya, Mueslix, Pineapple, Shrimp pad thai, salty hard boiled eggs, Lyonnaise potatoes and a sausage link (had to try a bit of everything). In the top right corner you can see a glass of fresh squeeze orange juice.

More pictures from my trip will be posted soon.

Cheers

Percy

after reading maggie's piece on her parents' 50th anniversary(a truly wonderful piece of writing) i made myself one fried egg with turkey bacon and whole wheat toast. since we only have turkey bacon in the house(the 115 lb. guy whose choleserol count FINALLY exceeded his weight by 17 points won't eat anything but

AND insists that the door to the bedroom be closed whenever cooking is going on - his clothes might be impregnated by the smells don't you know and wear out quicker) i had to substitute the bacon fat with some olive oil and it was very good. i'm not a runny yolk kind of girl so i basted the eggs until the yolk was set and the white was crispy. the extra oil was drizzled over the piece of toast that held the bacon. this took me back to when i was a small child and it was wonderful.

will i eat this again? of course. next month. and i will savor it for it's unctiousness.

in the meantime johnnybird will eat his fried egg sandwich on white bread with mayo and ketchup. :wink:

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

While I was in LA visiting my cousins, I made breakfast one day (this would be about a week ago). I hadn't cooked my scrambled egg dish for a while, but I tried it that day, and proved to myself that I can still do it well. (In fact, that time was probably one of my best efforts.) The concept of the dish is that it is Italian-inspired, and that the eggs end up thoroughly mixed up with vegetables and cheese in a wine sauce, and are saucy and eaten over toast.

One large onion or two or three smaller ones, sliced and coarsely chopped.

Several cloves of garlic (I believe I used about 5 or 6), moderately finely chopped.

Stir fry these on medium heat in a small but sufficient amount of extra virgin olive oil until golden.

Add:

Two medium-sized tomatoes, sliced and coarsely chopped (I used vine-ripened ones from the local supermarket).

A generous quantity of fresh basil leaves (and oregano, if available; fresh Italian parsley and dried basil and oregano if neither of the latter is available fresh), carefully washed and torn up. Also add several grindings of pepper from your peppermill. I don't add salt because of the salt in the cheese (see below), but you may choose to.

While the vegetables are frying, coarsely beat two or three eggs with a fork.

When the tomato juice has largely dried up, add the eggs, and thoroughly stir the vegetable matter into the eggs while you scramble them and prevent them from sticking to the pan.

Choose some cheese you like. I usually have used fior di latte (low-moisture mozzarella, and the Polly-O stuff is fine for this dish) or/and provolone or/and imported parmigiano, but this time, I used Greek feta cheese preserved in extra virgin olive oil with various herbs, which didn't end up stringy but worked out very well.

Add a good helping of cheese (I probably used about 13-15 little squares of the feta), stirring to make sure that it isn't concentrated in one part of the dish and not another.

Once the cheese has all melted and is evenly distributed throughout the mixture, add wine. I don't measure the wine but I guess I used somewhere between 1/4 and 1/2 cup of the wine that was available, Kendall-Jackson Merlot.

Keep stirring and taste to see that the balance is good (I actually did that earlier with the onion/garlic mixture, too, and added more garlic).

Once the juice has reduced to a sauce and the dish tastes ready, make some slices of toast. We used sourdough, which added a lot to the taste of the final dish, which was hardly photogenic -- but that's beside the point.

The dish, including one slice of toast per person, was enough to feed four people, when combined on the plate with some fresh blackberries.

While I'm sure top-quality items would make this dish even better, you really can get good results with Kendall-Jackson Merlot. The Merlot is a strong-tasting wine and stands up to all that garlic and so forth. This is fundamentally a dish for a practical gourmet who wants to slap up a 30-some-odd-minute brunch, not a Keller wannabe. But it sure is satisfying when it comes out right.

Edited by Pan (log)

Michael aka "Pan"

that scrambled egg dish sounds interesting. Since eating oeufs en meurette in Burgundy, I'm intrigued by any dish that combines eggs and red wine.

How long are you cooking the dish after scrambling the eggs? I like my scrambled eggs very soft and barely cooked, but the concept of this dish sounds very different. Don't the eggs get overcooked?

As for my breakfast.. I made some blueberry muffins first thing this morning. I put too much berries in, they did not rise and they stuck to the pan.. but the scraps I managed to get out, were sort of tasty.. :laugh:

Antics from my last day in Bangkok:

Fresh squeezed orange juice

gallery_21049_1631_107842.jpg

Spicy Omelet

gallery_21049_1631_117272.jpg

Breakfast with the locals - This was a bowl of broth with bean sprouts, scallions, cloud ear (mushroom), lettuce, pork and a few pieces of mystry meat (liver? heart?). Top it off table-side with some fish sauce and chili vinegar.

gallery_21049_1631_62382.jpg

gallery_21049_1631_134526.jpg

gallery_21049_1631_10940.jpg

Much better (and crispier) than KFC

gallery_21049_1631_106616.jpg

Sweet cocunut based dessert

gallery_21049_1631_38699.jpg

percyn -

Yeah! Soup, rice, fried chicken - that's what I call breakfast! :biggrin: Thanks for the photos, they're great. So interesting to look at all those exotic foods.

Not like the lonely croissant and a cup of coffee you'll get at a parisian cafe for breakfast:

ParisBreakfast-vi.jpg

Talking about croissants - that's what I had for breakfast yesterday and today. A couple of weeks ago I was baking croissants for the first time, and as part of the experiment froze some after baking and also raw, but shaped. So now I know that if you rewarm baked ones in the oven, they come out almost like freshly baked ones:

Croisssant2-vi.jpg

Almond ones (with frangipane)

And my favorite - plain:

Croisssant1-vi.jpg

Now I'm trying to figure out whether I'm supposed to defrost the raw croissants before baking. Probably should ask our pros in the Baking forum.

Michael, sounds delicious, and right up my alley. I make something very similar with zucchini. I'm not sure about his, but for what it's worth about the doneness of the eggs Chufi, when I make the zucchini thing, the wet stuff keeps the eggs from seeming overdone. They don't get dry, and it all stays soft and juicy. This comes from the Italian side of my family. LOL about its not being photogenic... When I make the similar dish, Russ says it looks like somebody already ate it.

Percy, looks delicious! I've been looking forward to seeing food photos of your trip. Are there posts on another thread I've missed?

Yesterday morning for brunch we had hamburgers with fried egg, lettuce, and tomato on potato rolls (and onion on mine).

gallery_13038_1496_371.jpg

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

that scrambled egg dish sounds interesting. Since eating oeufs en meurette in Burgundy, I'm intrigued by any dish that combines eggs and red wine.

How long are you cooking the dish after scrambling the eggs? I like my scrambled eggs very soft and barely cooked, but the concept of this dish sounds very different. Don't the eggs get overcooked?

The eggs are fully cooked, with no runniness in the yolk, if that's what you're asking about. But this is really not an egg dish with everything else as a sideline; it's a stirfried vegetables/eggs/cheese/wine dish, thoroughly scrambled up with sauce of wine plus liquid from the vegetables and cheese. Susan addressed the non-dryness of it well. If I used zucchini, I'd stirfry it after the onions and garlic but before the tomatoes. I may have done that at some point for the egg dish, but that actually sounds more like a pasta sauce I've made (onions, garlic, basil and other herbs, zucchini or/and yellow squash, tomatoes, eat with pasta and grated parmigiano/pecorino romano). Susan, your description of the dish's appearance is apt.

I've also used white wines in the dish, such as Sherry, but a robust red wine works best (Valpolicella, for example, but Burgundy is also fine).

Percy, I love your pictures of breakfast in Bangkok! I want that soup, now! :laugh:

Michael aka "Pan"

Croisssant2-vi.jpg

Almond ones (with frangipane)

And my favorite - plain:

Croisssant1-vi.jpg

Alinka, all I can say is: wow. And: can I come over for breakfast? :biggrin:

"We had dry martinis; great wing-shaped glasses of perfumed fire, tangy as the early morning air." - Elaine Dundy, The Dud Avocado

Queenie Takes Manhattan

eG Foodblogs: 2006 - 2007

Alinka, crossaints and coffee (cafe) are my favorite breakfast when I am in Paris (or Europe for that matter). I will be in Europe within a few weeks and am already looking forward to fresh crossaints for breakfast.

Susan, you have not missed a post on another thread, I have just not had the time to post yet. However, some pics have been uploaded at Imagestation if you are interested in browsing through them in the interim.

Cheers

Percy

Thank you! Wow, food everywhere, all kinds. I can only imagine how wonderful it was. I'm looking forward to when you have time to describe some of that.

Beef. It's what's for breakfast. Or so has been the case for us this weekend. This morning Russ made hash... steak, potatoes, and onions, cooked in goose fat.

gallery_13038_1496_25005.jpg

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.