• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast! The most important meal of the day (2004-2011)

percyn

Alink, I could handled the fries for breakfast but I would have to pass on the herring. LOL! What I would really like though is your Bliny. Great picture.

No toast this morning. Forgot to stop at one of the neighbourhood bakeries for fresh bread yesterday so at 6:00 AM this morning I put a pan of Biscuits seasoned with black pepper and some Double Gloucester and Stilton Cheese in the oven. We had them with cappuccino.

30374023-M-1.jpg

Well...I love breakfast, but usually don't have enough time for it other than the weekends, when it usually is a substitution for lunch....or a portion of it anyway.

So today I had a slice of cornbread I bought from whole foods

gallery_21049_162_115148.jpg

and made an omelet with left over Chinese (moo shoo vegetable and beef with hot peppers).

gallery_21049_162_88091.jpg

gallery_21049_162_30873.jpg

Percy, as usual, you are breakfast-brilliant. Beautiful! And everyone else's is, too.

I didn't photograph this morning, but we did eat over-easy eggs which turned out picture perfect, along with left-over new red potatoes lightly fried with onions.:smile: Today at the store I bought some grapes for tomorrow's "breakfast." :sad:

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

well, johnnybird's breakfast last saturday was leftover oddles of noodles ...

and a guiness.

this was drunk to dull the pain of the sprained knee and broken ankle he got from falling down an 8 foot cliff in the dark since he had to walk 3 miles out of the woods to his car :shock:

course we didn't know the ankle was broken until today when he had it xrayed since he wouldn't let me take him to the ER :angry:

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

I agree with Ling. Alinka that Chocolate pound cake is making my mouth water. I'll trade you a Blueberry Muffin for a piece of your cake.

We had Blueberry-Coconut Pound Cake Muffins for breakfast. Found the recipe on the Foodnetwork.com. The texture really is similar to that of a pound cake.

30773055-M.jpg

Ann

Ling, Ann_T, thank you! The recipe is from The Cake Bible. I followed the recipe precisely (as I almost always do), complete with soaking the cake with coffee syrup.

Ann, I'll take one of your muffins, thank you. I'd like the one on the right: it seems to have more blueberries than others :smile:.

I wonder if I'm getting too preoccupied with photographing my food. I've always thought food is beautiful; but now I can't just look at something delicious without documenting it on film, however trivial it is :biggrin:.

For example, I had a very simple sandwich of bread-butter-salmon roe for breakfast (I like it because it's a perfect combination of whole grain, fat and protein), but I couldn't help snapping a picture:

Roe2-vi.jpg

For example, I had a very simple sandwich of bread-butter-salmon roe for breakfast (I like it because it's a perfect combination of whole grain, fat and protein), but I couldn't help snapping a picture:

Roe2-vi.jpg

Died. And. Gone. To. Heaven. Salmon roe is my favorite kind of caviar--this is a great idea, I can't wait to try it. :smile:

I've always thought food is beautiful; but now I can't just look at something delicious without documenting it on film, however trivial it is biggrin.gif.

I know the feeling! We're visual people... and that's OK. :biggrin: I don't think we are too preoccupied. We really are not preoccupied with photographing food. I've been giving this lots of thought, and I really don't think we are preoccupied with photographing food. In fact I am certain we are not preoccupied with photographing food. Nooooo, we are not preoccupied with photographing food.

By the way, that bread and butter with salmon is beautiful!

Time to eat... Time to get the camera out.

Su-san, you're so funny :biggrin:. Actually, I've been giving my camera a rest recently... mostly because I haven't been cooking much :biggrin:. Also, as days are becoming shorter, the lighting in the kitchen is not as nice - so it's not as much fun to photograph.

By the way, that bread and butter with salmon is beautiful!

Time to eat...  Time to get the camera out.

Thanks. The butter is organic European style. I figure, if I'm going to eat butter (which I love - my grandma told me that as a child, I would just eat chunks of it plain), it better taste like BUTTER: flavorful, deliciously fatty, yellow...

Also, as days are becoming shorter, the lighting in the kitchen is not as nice
...very good point. We ate after 9 PM tonight and earlier in the summer, it would have given light to photograph. But tonight, not so much.

I love picturing the food in the daylight, and that's one of the things that makes this thread, breakfast, appealing.

Tonight from dinner we saved chicken fat, and might cook potatoes and eggs in it tomorrow for breakfast. If we do, I'll surely post. :smile:

well, johnnybird's breakfast last saturday was leftover oddles of noodles ...

and a guiness.

this was drunk to dull the pain of the sprained knee and broken ankle he got from falling down an 8 foot cliff in the dark since he had to walk 3 miles out of the woods to his car  :shock:

course we didn't know the ankle was broken until today when he had it xrayed since he wouldn't let me take him to the ER :angry:

ouch.

best wishes to johnnybird! will you be pampering him with all his favorite foods? :biggrin:

I had a whole cantaloupe melon for breakfast.

New tactic: watching the calories, at least until ... about... 3 pm??? I do feel a craving for icecream coming on and I'm sure to have some when I go shopping this afternoon..

Peach Turnovers from the Pie and Pastry Bible -

TurnoversLarge-vi.jpg

Oh my... There are no words. Except I will say, I want you to come visit me and bake while you're here!

I'm not even out of bed yet. I'm propped up, though. :smile: I'm using my new laptop, drinking coffee, and watching Sunday Morning on TV. ...Later, potatoes and eggs.

Hey, I'm waiting for those potatoes! :wink::raz:

And yes, Susan, come on over to Houston: I bake all the time (sometimes get up at 4 so that I can start on the dough), and my co-workers can only eat so much! :biggrin:

On the second thought... I guess I could come bake for you - my work takes me to Florida sometimes :smile:.

Edited by Alinka (log)

Get up at 4:00? As in AM?? Oh goodness, you are committed. As you might have deduced, I'm not real fond of getting up early. The only time I don't object to getting up when it's still dark is when it is to get an early start in traveling on vacation, or to go to the beach and watch the sun rise.

So anyway, neither of those happened today, and here was breakfast on the porch.

gallery_13038_1496_23941.jpg

It's a breakfast we often have on weekends, over-easy eggs and potatoes and sliced tomatoes. Today's potatoes were as mentioned cooked in chicken grease saved from last night and I threw some shallots into the fry.

Hope you all have a great Sunday!

Alinka,

There is an old phrase used among (private) pilots...called "$100 hamburger run" (when $100 was worth a lot more), which eludes to the cost of jumping in your plane and flying to an airport which had a good hamburger joint onsite or near by. After looking at your peach turnovers, I am thinking of the "$700 peach turnover run" :biggrin:

Today I made an egg scrambled with salsa and celery leaves (wanted to try something different)

gallery_21049_162_62028.jpg

And speaking of peaches...I had some super sweet white peaches which I bought at the farmers market yesterday.

gallery_21049_162_33528.jpg

Cheers

Percy

Edited by percyn (log)

Susan, Ann_T, percyn - thank you, guys! I wish I could share the turnovers with you. I believe Rose Levy Beranbaum came up with THE best pastry dough recipe, albeit more time consuming than most.

percyn, that is an interesting web-site about the $100 burger run; I've never heard of this before. And of course, I've checked if there are burger joints that are close to where I live there :smile:.