• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast! The most important meal of the day (2004-2011)

percyn

Does it count if I didn't make it? I had a fresh peach brioche and an iced coffee with milk and sugar syrup from the Silver Moon Bakery :wub: :wub:. I usually treat myself there en route to my Saturday voice lesson in the Bronx.

K

Basil endive parmesan shrimp live

Lobster hamster worchester muenster

Caviar radicchio snow pea scampi

Roquefort meat squirt blue beef red alert

Pork hocs side flank cantaloupe sheep shanks

Provolone flatbread goat's head soup

Gruyere cheese angelhair please

And a vichyssoise and a cabbage and a crawfish claws.

--"Johnny Saucep'n," by Moxy Früvous

Does it count if I didn't make it? I had a fresh peach brioche and an iced coffee with milk and sugar syrup from the Silver Moon Bakery :wub: :wub:.  I usually treat myself there en route to my Saturday voice lesson in the Bronx.

K

Sure it counts...

"What did you make for breakfast?"

"I made an order for fresh peach brioche and iced coffee with milk and sugar syrup."

:rolleyes:

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

Chilled rice pudding, for want of a better description!

A very small amount of rice cooked with a few whole spices until the milk reduced and began to caramelize, then chilled and served with a drizzle of honey.

ohh what a great idea. I might make that for dessert tonight! what spices ? I'm thinking clove, nutmeg?

Good morning! Looks like everyone's been enjoying nice weekend breakfasts.

Ann_T, beautiful, beautiful scones!

Suzan in FL - not only teasing us with the view of her lovely porch (again!), but this time also making us salivate over these lovely pancakes! I can see that the butter on top of that right one is already melting; it needs to be eaten (looking around for a fork) :biggrin:.

Me? I had brioche :smile:.

Brioche2copy-vi.jpg

After Macarons&Mozart mentioned brioche and Nutella last week, I've been waaanting it. Problem is, there IS no brioche to be found in my town; so I had to learn how to bake one. Fortunately, Larousse Gastronomique was there to teach :smile:. Isn't this little knob on top so cute?

Brioche001copy-vi.jpg

that brioche looks so lovely!

I had my favorite sunday breakfast: toast (from sourdough bread) with butter, some slices of young Gouda, a softboiled egg (very soft, with a very runny yolk.. mmm) and a glass of freshly squeezed orange & grapefruit juice.

This morning we had one my favorites that Russ fixes, soft-boiled eggs on lightly buttered toast. I like the yolks real runny, too. :smile:

...And fresh berries, OJ, and coffee.

[This was my first time to make pancakes from scratch. In my previous life, I always used those little milk carton looking things you buy from the freezer section. Since I've been married to Russ, he's made the pancakes. I went for it today, after seeing the beautiful photos on this thread.

I used Spagetttti's recipe, except that I put most of the blueberries right in the batter, dusting them first with flour so the blue didn't spread too much through the pancakes. Some I placed on the pancakes as they were cooking, to balance them. I was very pleased with my first effort. I can do this!

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

What, nobody eats breakfast any more? Nothing new for 5 days! Ok, then I'll go :smile: :

Crepes1copy-vi.jpg

Bliny - we make them thin and large in Russia, like crepes. Usually they are eaten with jam, honey, sour cream, condensed milk, or simply dunked into melted butter. And, they are eaten with hands, no forks :smile:.

What, nobody eats breakfast any more? Nothing new for 5 days! Ok, then I'll go :smile:

Actually, I don't eat breakfast often, unless a cup of coffee early and a piece of fruit or a very small portion of something later is called breakfast. My main reason is saving calories... seems no matter how hard I try to change the pattern, the more I eat at breakfast time, the more I eat throughout the entire rest of the day. I've been working on portion control lately, and what is working is very small snack-size portions of something at breakfast time, and then at lunch time, and increasing my exercise routine, and then I am able to be satisfied with smaller amounts of food at dinner. We've even been eating less breakfasts on weekends... pretty much Sundays only.

Anyway, I still drool from the photos here, and oh how I wish that I could calorically afford to eat three meals a day!!

Alinka, absolutely beautiful bliny. :wub:

I am a little full after breakfast this morning. First, had an apple. Then a cinnamon roll. Then two slices of cinnamon chip french toast with fresh whipped cream, blueberries, and banana slices, with nutella and honey on the side for dipping the french toast into. Then some strawberry yogurt. Then some of the pumpkin cheesecake I made the other night. That's all. :raz:

What, nobody eats breakfast any more? Nothing new for 5 days! Ok, then I'll go :smile:

Actually, I don't eat breakfast often, unless a cup of coffee early and a piece of fruit or a very small portion of something later is called breakfast. My main reason is saving calories... seems no matter how hard I try to change the pattern, the more I eat at breakfast time, the more I eat throughout the entire rest of the day. I've been working on portion control lately, and what is working is very small snack-size portions of something at breakfast time, and then at lunch time, and increasing my exercise routine, and then I am able to be satisfied with smaller amounts of food at dinner. We've even been eating less breakfasts on weekends... pretty much Sundays only.

Anyway, I still drool from the photos here, and oh how I wish that I could calorically afford to eat three meals a day!!

Alinka, absolutely beautiful bliny. :wub:

Isn't that wild. I am like that too. If I eat a big breakfast I eat a lot more during the day. If I have hardly nothing for breakfast, I am good till 2:00, and then some yougurt and fruit is enough to get me through to dinner. I feel your pain. At least we get to look at all the pretty pictures of what everybody else eats :raz:

Actually, I don't eat breakfast often, unless a cup of coffee early and a piece of fruit or a very small portion of something later is called breakfast.  My main reason is saving calories... seems no matter how hard I try to change the pattern, the more I eat at breakfast time, the more I eat throughout the entire rest of the day. 

Isn't that wild. I am like that too. If I eat a big breakfast I eat a lot more during the day. If I have hardly nothing for breakfast, I am good till 2:00, and then some yougurt and fruit is enough to get me through to dinner. I feel your pain. At least we get to look at all the pretty pictures of what everybody else eats :raz:

Hah! me too! I always regret having a big breakfast. Makes me tired and sluggish and has me craving for more food, which makes me even more tired. What I like best is to have nothing but fruit and a glass of juice for breakfast.. then a light snack around 10, maybe ricecakes or some raisinbread or something. I consider that to be breakfast part II.

Then lunch at 12, a sandwich and a salad. More fruit in the afternoon to get me through to dinner. I have to say though that around 6 pm I'm always very very hungry so we always have dinner early!

that said.. I just had a bowl of greek joghurt with a dollop of homemade redcurrant jelly for breakfast :raz: I had some last night for dessert, and it was so good that I woke up craving it again!

Edited by Chufi (log)

Blueberry cornbread squares with butter. (Picked the blueberries yesterday).

I'm a canning clean freak because there's no sorry large enough to cover the, "Oops! I gave you botulism" regrets.

Chufi, are you sure you did not write that about me? :biggrin:

I have to be careful about what I eat, to stay thin :smile:. So, of course, I never make a big breakfast just for myself. To be fair, I have to show my today's breakfast, which is much more typical:

Suharicopy-vi.jpg

A cup of coffee with some "suhari" - they are somewhat like biscotti, only not as sweet and without fat.

Boy, am I glad I do not live in Amsterdam! (Klary, :wink:). Otherwise, how could I resist eating the most delicious fries, topped with MAYO!

AmsterdamFries-vi.jpg

No... scratch that. The thing I really could not stop eating in Amsterdam was herring -

Amst2-vi.jpg

Sorry, the food doesn't look right for the breakfast thread :biggrin:.