• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast! The most important meal of the day (2004-2011)

percyn

Percy, can you tell us more about the Chaoshou dumplings? [Edit: Never mind; I found the thread on that type of dumpling But where's all the sauce? :biggrin:]

I'm amazed that some of you can get really good closeups. You must have much better digital cameras than I do. If I try to get closer than a certain amount, everything is blurry.

Edited by Pan (log)

Michael aka "Pan"

I'm amazed that some of you can get really good closeups. You must have much better digital cameras than I do. If I try to get closer than a certain amount, everything is blurry.

I used to have the same problem with my Olympus, very frustrating. But after I got Canon PowerShot, there ain't stopping me! :biggrin:

It's a beautifully sunny sunday morning - so I WON'T have my usual weekday breakfast of organic oats made into porridge with sultanas, salt and water with a cup of earl grey tea.

We are having some issues using up our veggie box allocation now that I've got a three hour commute, so I've decided to save what spinach I can and have a spinach, feta and sun dried tomato omelette along with roasted potatos with garlic and toast. drinks are assam tea and freshly squeezed oj with sparkling water. i'm tempted to make some carrot cake muffins, to use up our carrot allocation too.. but that could be guilding the lily. Also, I'm meant to be off for a big energetic walk later..

i have to grill some bacon too - that will stop the other half sulking about the spinach omelette...

As a nice, nutritional Sunday breakfast I had some sugar cookies. Baked yesterday in honor of the new Harry Potter book, they were by far the most tempting thing in my kitchen this morning. And they were good. So good I actually ate four of them.

I think lunch will be featuring some kind of vegetable.

Anna

unlike portia it is an ugly, overcast, dreary day here in nw nj. the concert goers(went to see the johns - fogerty and mellancamp and are going to ozzfest tonight :wacko: ) are not yet up. just finished my first coffeemilk. am debating wether to have another or not. but i am craving a western sandwich - onion, peppers, ham and eggs on toast. guess what everyone is having for breakfast today? :biggrin:

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Following suit about weather and breakfast... It was a nice sunny Sunday here, the first weekend in weeks that we weren't drenched with rain (which made the weeds grow like crazy), and so we skipped breakfast and took the opportunity to work in the yard.

Alinka, thanks for mentioning what kind of camera you have. I ditto what Michael said about close-ups:

So anyway, whatever breakfast is on the porch tomorrow morning, even if just coffee, it sure will be a pleasure to look at the yard.

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

Percy, can you tell us more about the Chaoshou dumplings? [Edit: Never mind; I found the thread on that type of dumpling But where's all the sauce? :biggrin:]

Pan,

The thread you found was me asking the name of these dumplings (I always called it "dumplings in hot oil" when I visited a Sishuan restaurant I visit and they knew what I meant. These are my favorite dumplings. It has spices which hit you in the back of the throat more than the tip of your tounge.

I understand there are some places in NYC chinatown that make good versions (I have not experienced them from there), but I highly recommend it.

The pic of the dumplings I posted had come from the fridge, so the liquid had gathered on the bottom. plus I used some on the eggs (very light and hard to see).

Please report back if you find a place with good ChaoShou.

Cheers

Percy

it's tuesday and i have a big exam today that i'm horrendously unprepared for. the good news is that i've (a) got the day off work (b) got to sleep in & © have taken a novel approach to studying which meant ignoring the course work and just eating brain food for the last week...

so breakfast this morning is blueberries and porridge with raisins, water and salt.

i also made 2 pots of tea - one for me (earl grey) and one for the man (english breakfast) and then proceeded to drink the wrong one.

not happy, but hopefully fortified for the horrors to come

Brioche with nutella, cafe au lait, home-grown pluots  :biggrin:

That sounds so good! Looove Nutella! And brioche! Nutella PLUS brioche is perfect... Especially when chased down with nice creamy coffee :smile: Hmmm, for some reason I only eat that when in Europe, and we do have Nutella here in the States.

For breakfast this morning I had the sight of the Mexican Blue Bell blooms with my coffee!  Life is good.

With a backyard like yours, life IS good :biggrin:.

I had focaccia with blueberries and cinnamon streusel for breakfast (it had a speical name in the book, I forget what it was called). I baked it yesterday (photographed yesterday, too: it was too dark when I left this morning), but I must say, I liked the focaccia dough better hot from the oven; it got too chewy by morning.

FocacciaBlueberry-vi.jpg

gallery_21049_162_27967.jpg

oohhhhhh....western omelet, homefries and toast. put the omelet on the toast add ketchup and it is heaven...

sliced tomato on toasted rye with miracle whip and maytag blue

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Breakfast is served.

gallery_13038_1496_11949.jpg

Mine, with maple syrup, butter, and powdered sugar:

gallery_13038_1496_3571.jpg

Breakfast at the bar this morning, watching the hibiscus bloom, it was 93 degrees in the porch. I certainly didn't have to worry about the food getting cold while I shot some pictures.

This was my first time to make pancakes from scratch. In my previous life, I always used those little milk carton looking things you buy from the freezer section. Since I've been married to Russ, he's made the pancakes. I went for it today, after seeing the beautiful photos on this thread.

I used Spagetttti's recipe, except that I put most of the blueberries right in the batter, dusting them first with flour so the blue didn't spread too much through the pancakes. Some I placed on the pancakes as they were cooking, to balance them. I was very pleased with my first effort. I can do this!

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.