• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast! The most important meal of the day (2004-2011)

percyn

Inspired by Varmint's Food Blog which conjured up memories of the summers I spent in Winston Salem, NC - and since shrimp was on the menu for dinner yesterday, bought some extra and had shrimp and grits and toast. What an incredibly - simple - delicious meal.

Lightly sugared and sliced strawberries and bananas in heavy cream with a piece of rye toast.

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

Any suggestions for a breakfast for 18 people some of which are kids during a lake vacation. Evidently we are supposed to be in charge of 1 meal per group/family. I was thinking of doing 1 or 2 different things as the main dish and a couple sides. What kind of main dish for a big mixed group?

I had to share - sorry no photos but you can picture it if you try ...

Love fruit salad

Layered the following:

Raspberries, blueberries, halved cherries, apricots, golden kiwi

In the middle somewhere added a dollop of whipped cream

served it in our Love bowls - they are glass and large and it looked gorgeous sitting in there. Tasted divine as well.

I love summer and summer fruits!

made some scrambled eggs using left over cilantro chutney from a local place... added some center cut bacon and crumbled potatoes...

Deadheads are kinda like people who like licorice. Not everybody likes licorice, but people who like licorice, *really* like licorice!

-Jerry Garcia

Yesterday Camilla, Morten's girlfriend, flew back to Denmark and for breakfast, Russ cooked to order... Eggs any style, scrapple, ham, bacon, potatoes. This was her last meal with us before her flight. We had another pound of scrapple unopened from what Morten brought to us from Delaware, and we "encouraged" her to try it before returning home to Denmark after her first trip to the U.S. Her comments, with her lovely accent: "It's OK".

Note the absence of sunlight. Dennis is passing by, but not hitting us this weekend, thank goodness for us.

gallery_13038_837_109110.jpg

This morning Morten left to drive up to Delaware. He'll be in the country for at least the rest of the summer. This morning was our first just-the-two-of-us meal in a long time. It's all good.

gallery_13038_837_89384.jpg

gallery_13038_837_495.jpg

...discovery of a great flavor combination, scrapple topped with a slice of baked fresh beet and an egg.

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

Yesterday - Eggs Florentine with Blood orange Hollandaise, Roasted potatoes with shallots

This morning - Blueberry Muffins I made on Saturday with Fresh eggs and berries from the farmers market.

I wandered into this thread accidentally and spent waaay too long drooling over everyones breakfast, especially the photos. :wub:

Now I have to go catch up on an hours worth of work :sad:

Looking at everybody's breakfast makes my mouth water. My favorite meal of the day! :smile: Today I had leftover homemade pain au chocolat and a slice of brioche (three days old - the results of my not-so-successful experiments in the kichen :smile:).

But here's what I much prefer when I'm not too hungry to actually make a sandwich (whole grain bread, cream cheese, avocado, salmon):

PaniniSalmon-vi.jpg

But here's what I much prefer when I'm not too hungry to actually make a sandwich (whole grain bread, cream cheese, avocado, salmon):

PaniniSalmon-vi.jpg

Ahhh yes. I'll take that anytime. Great picture, as well!

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

the Frog Commissary carrot cake, and leftovers from dinner last night (coconut curry beef brisket)

Ok, I need the recipe for the Coconut Curry Beef Brisket. Is it like a dry version of Thai beef curry?

Sorry to disappoint, but my curry-making skills are pathetic. I just use Glico, add some Indian "curry" powder to the pot, and add most of a can of coconut cream. :laugh:

My idea of breakfast is more like Lings. Something sweet. But my husband loves a big breakfast. Unfortunately he can't have as many eggs as he would like too. Thankfully he doesn't mind scrambled eggs made with just egg whites. Actually I do cheat a little bit and make them with four egg whites and about a teaspoon of yolk. I had homemade salsa and some of the pinto beans leftover from the dinner I made the other night so I made him a Tex Mex breakfast. Instead of toast he had some warm corn tortillas.

28464922-M.jpg

Ling sounds good...Valrhona Manjari is my favorite.....so did you eat the whole thing? :huh::laugh:

Yesterday I made scrambled eggs topped with Maitake, drizzled with Chaoshou dumpling oil and a croissant on the side. Call it an East meets West breakfast :raz:

gallery_21049_162_31062.jpg

Then I got hungry and ate the Chaoshou dumplings.

gallery_21049_162_81307.jpg

Today I made a similar breakfast of scrambled eggs, maitake, chives and a side of smoked duck breast.

gallery_21049_162_5373.jpg

ETA - Also tried a piece of famous grilled sticky buns

gallery_21049_162_50268.jpg

Edited by percyn (log)

1 cup of butter for 12 cookies, and I ate 4 cookies...so I only ingested 1/3 cup of butter (plus a few ounces of chocolate.) I'm kind of watching my weight. :wink:

Manjari is my favourite for drizzling over cookies, and I like Guanaja for baking. I also like Scharffen Berger semi-sweet for straight eating, and bittersweet and unsweetened for baking. :wub:

Breakfast today was a croissant, and an apple struesel muffin. (And then I spooned some peanut butter straight from the jar and ate it with chocolate...sssshh! :wink: )