• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast! The most important meal of the day (2004-2011)

percyn

A few pieces of the Frog Commisionary carrot cake (3 layers sandwiched with pecan cream filling, covered in cream cheese frosting).

I've had my vegetables for the day.  :wink:

Ling, my sweet tooth loves your breakfasts! If would do it, too, if I didn't have to set an example for the kids.

my first post to this thread.... We have some company leaving today so we had a special breakfast (special to us, at least - we don't eat it that often).

Italian bread with smoked salmon and hard-boiled egg slices

gallery_18558_1415_112788.jpg

nan

coffe milk - 12 oz 2% milk with 3 Tbsp coffee syrup and 3 ice cubes. shake well or blend. perfect way to start a hot day - protein, caffeine and it is cold :biggrin:

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Seven to brunch to meet our houseguests: Breakfast Burritos of Spinach Tortillas with Sauteed Mushrooms, Scallions, Scrambled Eggs, Sour Cream, Sharp Cheese. Salsa of Diced Fresh Tomatoes, Vidalias, Cilantro, Jalapenos, a spoonful of Picante. Corn Souffle; Three-Pepper Sausages, Artichoke/Mozzarella Sausages; Cottage Cheese with Threeberry Jam Topping, Fruit Tray, Thick Focaccia with Paper-Thin Tomato, Pepper and Onion; Sesame Green Bean Salad; Bowtie Pasta Salad with Olives, Tomatoes, and Basil; Cream Cheese and Pepper Jelly with Crackers; Brownies, Cheesecake; Juices, Roasted Chestnut Coffee, 40-weight iced tea.

Wow, thanks, browniebaker and Ann_T, for encouraging my sugar intake. :biggrin:

Today I made the Peninsula Grill coconut cream cake for my friend's birthday. I ate the cake scraps when I levelled it, along with the extra coconut cream filling I made. Also had an apple struesel muffin.

This is my second time making this cake--it turned out quite well the first time. :smile:

Here's the recipe:

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/recipe_views/views/105698

Today I made the Peninsula Grill coconut cream cake for my friend's birthday.

That was my wedding cake! My husband made three of them and unbeknownst to me, iced them 'british' style - where the filling/icing between layers is as thick as the cake layer itself. They were HUGE! I still don't know how he did it, as I was off getting pampered that day. Ling, you would have loved it.

I dunno how you eat what you eat....but may you never be afflicted with the metabolism of a 40 year old mennonite woman. :laugh:

Don't try to win over the haters. You're not the jackass whisperer."

Scott Stratten

Today I made the Peninsula Grill coconut cream cake for my friend's birthday. I ate the cake scraps when I levelled it, along with the extra coconut cream filling I made. Also had an apple struesel muffin.

This is my second time making this cake--it turned out quite well the first time.  :smile:

And a truly wonderful cake it was! Again, thank you so very much. :wub:

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

Today, as every day for the last few weeks (kind of a new experiment):

Homemade muesli out of rolled oats, spelt, barley, triticale, and quinoa with dates, soynuts, and pepitas. 1/2c of this soaked overnight in soy milk, then topped up with water in the morning and warmed in the nuker.

Mmmm, comfort carbs....

Andrea

http://tenacity.net

"You can't taste the beauty and energy of the Earth in a Twinkie." - Astrid Alauda

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Food Lovers' Guide to Santa Fe, Albuquerque & Taos: OMG I wrote a book. Woo!

I had a big (even for me) breakfast today:

-a dinner-sized plate of potato salad my mom made

-2 honey cruellers from Tim Horton's

-leftovers from last night's dinner (beef, tomato, egg--Chinese comfort food)

-a few chocolate truffles

-a bowl of toffee sauce I made (I'm using this to glaze my pecan pie...kind of an experiment. If there's a way to incorporate extra butter, whipping cream, and sugar to a recipe, you know I'll find it. :wink: )

There's something about this funny little topic that is just totally entertaining--I guess it's partly all the different things people eat! And satisfy hunger with! Esp. in the morning. Totally fascinating.

Anyhow, do please continue to post--maybe I will someday too if I can ever get bum in gear to make breakfast. I'm already feeling somewhat inspired now to haul out the grits for a lil savory breakfast somethin or other here.

Du beurre! Donnez-moi du beurre! Toujours du beurre! ~ Fernand Point

Warm-from-the-grill soft, richly porky pulled pork, just removed from the smoker/Weber an hour ago and pulled into gobbets and porklets and bits of crust and soft sweet pinkly-softened meat, with the smoke and the tang and the crispy outers and the melting, unctuous inners and the salty, smoky PORKness of itself.

On plain, soft cushy Wonder Bread, with a bit of Hellman's and a few driblets of Sweet Baby Ray's sauce. Cut into two halves which rise up like little mountains, their strata of white and brown and pink and the deep ruby sauce oozing forth to need licking from eager fingers.

Tonight will come griddle-toasted buns, crisp shreds of vinegary slaw, sides of potato salad and beans. This is the NOW, when it's just done and ready. It was an afterthought, tossed onto the apple/hickory-stoked grill last night after the mahogany chicken came off for our dinner. The vents were adjusted, the waterpan filled once again, and this beautiful pearlypale chunk of meat alchemied all night in that hazy, gentle heat into a deep-black, pinkly centered falling-off-the-bone trove of perfectly cooked cue.

I'm chewing as I write, though I should be paying total attention to each sweet, smoky bite. We're each eating only a half, as we're going to "have popcorn for breakfast"--our euphemism for going to an early movie...so we'll see Batman with the hint of smoke on our breaths and a glitter in our supper-waiting eyes. :wub:

Happy 4th to all!!

rachel

Grits made with Tillamook cheddar, crumbled applewood smoked bacon, cream and butter. Also, scrambled eggs and toast with homemade orange marmalade. Finished with hot chicory coffee.

"One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well."- Virginia Woolfe