• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast! The most important meal of the day (2004-2011)

percyn

Most of the days this week - homemade brioche-style bread toasted with fireweed honey & unsalted butter and COFFEE. Sunday (I'm out of sync again) was mango pancakes - we had one that needed eating. It worked surprisingly well with a quarter teaspoon of nutmeg added to the batter BUT something unexpected happened - after adding the nutmeg & diced mango, the batter thickened and went really fluffy - looked a bit like a souffle, but with more airholes, and I had to add much more liquid than usual to send it back to pouring consistency. They were great - very fluffy - but I was wondering if anyone can tell me why? Was it something to do with the mangoes? The nutmeg? The combination of the 2? I usually make some sort of fruit pancakes on the weekend (pear and brie a current favourite) and have never had this happen - and I'm curious as to which part of the chemical reaction triggered it. Thanks for the help!

about 30C here at 9 am and the trailer park trash across the street started yelling at her 3 kids about 6am :angry:

iced coffee milk

now am waiting for the concert goers to wake up and find out what they want for breakfast. i am set up to make anything from coffee(black) to egg mcmuffins to french toast to eggs benedict...

actually i may follow susan in fl's theme and have a cold beer!! :raz:

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

about 30C here at 9 am and the trailer park trash across the street started yelling at her 3 kids about 6am :angry:

iced coffee milk

now am waiting for the concert goers to wake up and find out what they want for breakfast.  i am set up to make anything from coffee(black) to egg mcmuffins to french toast to eggs benedict...

actually i may follow susan in fl's theme and have a cold beer!!  :raz:

You Go Girl! :biggrin:

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

I don't tend to eat breakfast too often as I've never been too into it, but this morning, I ate leftover char siu bao. There were two left in the fridge, just calling to me. I couldn't resist! :biggrin:

I'd love to live with many of you who ae able to cook such gorgeous breakfasts! I usually can't wait for holidays because I am able to indulge my inner glutton.

Unfortunately, my work entailed me getting up at 5 and being at work by 6am (latest), so some toast and a very small amount of coffee (was not able to go to the toilet until relieved for lunch) was it.

I've stopped working, but now I'm taking care of a toddler who gets up between 6:30am-7am. I should go to bed at a sensible hour, but after putting baby to sleep at 7pm, I still have tidying up and cooking dinner to do. After this, I just crash in front of the computer and/or tele until 11:30-12:00. The baby's schedule has made me get up between 5:00-6am automatically, even though I'm exhausted. As I am NOT a natural morning person, I get baby's breakfast and my breakfast ready the night before.

Baby gets 3 teaspoons of organic baby muesli, 1/2 a grated organic apple, and organic soya milk (he has a cow's milk intolerance). Also, he usually takes 3-4 of my mini shreaded wheat.

I get a mixture of 1/2 shreaded wheat, 1/4 no-sugar Alpen muesli, and 1/4 grape nuts. I drink a tankard of instant coffee (I know, travesty. I'm just too tired/lazy to use my French press and make a decent cup of coffee!)

Not exciting, and believe me I'm so envious of the great things some of you are able to make. Sigh.

About a year ago, I was on an extended steel-cut oats routine inspired by the book Nourishing Traditions. I'd soak them overnight in filtered water with a spoonful of yogurt or some keffir milk (this is said to break down the grain's 'anti-nutrients,' or compounds that block the absorption of nutrients). Then I added a little more water and cooked them until no longer runny, adding dried cherries or raisins near the end. To finish, I stirred in a knob of butter, a spoonful of flaxseed meal, poured some maple syrup over the top and served with either keffir or yogurt.

Over a period of months I lost several pounds and noticed a stablization in both my appetite and energy througout the day. It kept me full and going.

Of course, laziness killed the habit, and now I only eat porridge sporadically. I keep telling myself I'll go back on the routine...

About a year ago, I was on an extended steel-cut oats routine inspired by the book Nourishing Traditions.

I think I've finally been tipped over into getting a copy of this book... :-)

Today's breakfast is a repeat of the last 4 days running, trying out something new! I used to have coffee and naked fruit in the first few hours of the morning, then some type of porridge/oats in the mid-late AM hours. I've decided to try out something a little different and start the day with grains instead of fruit. I'll see how it affects my energy (and digestion). Have to also make a point now of having fruit, as before I would never eat it except for first thing in the morning.

1. (7:30am) Overnight soaked muesli w/ soy milk

2. (8am) Huge mug of fantastic coffee with half & half

3. (10am) Bowl of irish oats w/ egg scrambled in. Yum!

Andrea

http://tenacity.net

"You can't taste the beauty and energy of the Earth in a Twinkie." - Astrid Alauda

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Food Lovers' Guide to Santa Fe, Albuquerque & Taos: OMG I wrote a book. Woo!

Hmm...haven't had smoked duck lately  :raz:

Contrary to Chappie's nutritious breakfast, mine consisted of

Fried Egg with Serano Ham, Smoked Duck Breast and Applewood smoked Bacon

gallery_21049_162_42692.jpg

Whew. I feel better now.

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

To whoever implied my recent breakfasts were healthy, you should know that today I had two ice cream sandwiches, cold leftover polenta and some Sunkist. A horrible fall from my steel-cut crest.

Today I was watching that awful show "$40 a Day" (I once enjoyed Rachel Ray but now can hardly stand to hear her sniggle) and on a menu board was something called Breakfast Polenta. Has anyone heard of this or does anyone know where I can find a recipe or basis to create one? I love polenta... I wonder, would corn and oats taste well together? Because a blend of steel-cut and polenta could be intriguing, the finer corn providing a sort of creamy glue, the oats lending the whole-grain goodness. Chilled, sliced and fried, this could be promising. I'll report back any experiments.

this morning I'm waiting in for a delivery, so we have "emergency cupboard breakfast"

in this case it's quick cooking porridge in golden syrup flavour :wacko:

could be worse though, one time it was cereal mix (all the "not quite enough for a bowlfull" bits from the bottom of cereal packets)

Spam in my pantry at home.

Think of expiration, better read the label now.

Spam breakfast, dinner or lunch.

Think about how it's been pre-cooked, wonder if I'll just eat it cold.

wierd al ~ spam

Today's breakfast was rather sad...I had my usual 4 scrambled eggs, and then maybe a dozen graham crackers spread with a thick layer of peanut butter, and then topped them with melted dark chocolate. Mmm...instant breakfast-dessert. Then I ate the rest of the leftover chocolate while perusing the Gucci website. :raz:

Yesterday was a happier affair--I baked these big slabs of shortbread and smeared them with melted dark chocolate and sprinkled chopped walnuts over the still-warm chocolate. Very delicious. What a great way to start the day--and it only took about 20 minutes from start to finish. :smile: (Also had one of those Bavarian smokies and some scrambled eggs so I don't die of malnutrition from my diet of white flour, sugar, and butter.)

Edited by Ling (log)

Well, I made a batch of polenta/steel-cut oats porridge and it was delicious. This time I did half oats, half polenta, soaked overnight with some yogurt whey. The taste and texture of the oats combined with the creaminess of the polenta perfectly. I will eat leftovers tomorrow (I stirred in a knob of butter at the end and topped with pumpkin butter...)

Next time I will probably lean toward a 2-1 ratio of oats to polenta, because a little polenta seems to go a long way.

Leftover cherry clafouti (Julia Child's recipe, the one with kirsh), covered with a little half-and-half. Spiced tea. Watched the hummingbirds come to my feeders, and the cats playing in the grass, and considered myself in heaven.

I'm a canning clean freak because there's no sorry large enough to cover the, "Oops! I gave you botulism" regrets.

slab of the banana bread I baked late last night to take this morning to my boss who's just had a baby. Had got as far as blurging everything in the blender before realizing that my recipe called for two eggs and I had none (used them all on Monday in my frittata). Thought 'sod it' and baked it anyway, with a slosh of Cointreau to make up the liquid a little. It looked OK this morning after cooling overnight on the rack, a little sunken perhaps, but rather than take her some sorry effort, I thought I'd better have a slice to check. And you know what? it was really OK! a little crumblier than usual, but perfectly sliceable and moist from the pureed bananas. She had a bit with her cup of tea + declared it lovely.

Fi Kirkpatrick

tofu fi fie pho fum

"Your avatar shoes look like Marge Simpson's hair." - therese