• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast! The most important meal of the day (2004-2011)

percyn

Buckwheat waffles, NY state maple syrup, (grade B), and thick cut bacon. Red grapefruit.

I'm a canning clean freak because there's no sorry large enough to cover the, "Oops! I gave you botulism" regrets.

First time at a local breakfast place. As a representative of Old Europe, my husband enjoyed the Freedom Toast, but felt it was best to avoid the American Fries at this early hour. I went for the egg & cheese sandwich, on a Coalition of the Willing Muffin. (I made the last one up, but sadly, not the other two.)

The PNW had a HUGE BBQ feast yesterday and I took home some Italian Casatiello de Salumi which vengroff made (I think it's being done on the bakery forum). Brushed it with EVOO, grilled in, fried egg on top and duck bacon alongside. Sorry for the blurry picture but it was good!

gallery_16100_231_285960.jpg

Edited by little ms foodie (log)

I made some fresh pork sausage from pork trimmed from a couple of roasts, just enough for two nice patties. I didn't bother getting the meat grinder out for such a small amount, just minced it in the small Cuisinart.

I cooked the sausage by browning it on both sides, then added a little water and the tight-fitting lid so it would cook through without getting too brown on the outside.

I made a batch of buttermilk biscuits while the sausage was cooking and then fried two lovely double-yolked eggs in the pan in which the sausage had been cooked.

I had considered making sausage gravy but decided it would have been a bit too much.

I finished the meal with a biscuit topped with some lemon curd from a batch I made last night.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

We had pork BBQ and a beer for breakfast. Our intentions were to go out for breakfast (breakfast food) this morning after going to Lowe's (you know the Sunday morning Lowe's thing this time of year). I don't think a single freakin' person in this town cooked their own breakfast this morning! Every place had a long line, so we just gave up and went to Dustin's BBQ and ate lunch food for breakfast.

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

coffee

breakfast of champions, yo.

btw, i made my deadline. defense is wednesday morning, bright and early. i'll def. be having the same breakfast for that.

"The Internet is just a world passing around notes in a classroom."

---John Stewart

my blog

coffee

breakfast of champions, yo.

btw, i made my deadline.  defense is wednesday morning, bright and early.  i'll def. be having the same breakfast for that.

Congrats on making the deadline. How did the defense go?

Today I had leftover duck breast and an egg. I felt like I had a connection with Percy. :smile: It really is a good combination.

Eggs benedict with mikate mushrooms and smoked duck breast

That smoked duck breast always looks so good.

I had a skim milk latte, so coffee for the 2nd day in a row. In the past 5 years, I've had maybe 5 very small cups of coffee total. I'm too lazy to brew coffee for myself and I couldn't find a local establishment with satisfactory coffee. A co-worker told me that they had great coffee at a nearby coffee shop, the Trout Lily Cafe. I was skeptical, but I needed something yesterday morning. Outstanding coffee. Perfectly roasted beans and they are ground fresh for each cup. I had a mocha yesterday with a freshly baked spinach-feta quiche. I had the latte today with a yogurt parfait full of fresh fruit and granola.

Best coffee in Springfield, IL: Trout Lily Cafe on 6th street (downtown)

Yum. I'll surely take that as a recommendation for a Sunday Brunch.

Today we had a fried egg on top of a rice cake on top of Canadian bacon, garnished with scallions, with oatmeal stout to drink.

gallery_13038_837_80321.jpg

The photo doesn't show very well what the dish consisted of. I'll show you the rice cakes when I was browning them (I won't, however, show them after I turned them over. :biggrin:

gallery_13038_837_46883.jpg

Yum.  I'll surely take that as a recommendation for a Sunday Brunch.

Please do...

Today I went to a latin restaurant (rare in these parts of the woods), owned by a local family and had:

Latte

gallery_21049_162_41702.jpg

Breakfast wrap with eggs, cheese and chorizo (then I topped it with a lot of ancho chili sauce):

gallery_21049_162_57308.jpg