• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast! The most important meal of the day (2004-2011)

percyn

Yesterday: a double-cut pork chop and a quarter of a blueberry pie I baked just because I had a craving. 2 cups of coffee. Also, double cream brie and strawberries (while I was waiting for the pie to bake). I was really hungry yesterday morning.

Today: apricot hamantaschen, homemade by a fellow Egulleter! And also a bowl of granola cereal and leftover noodles and vegetables...2 cups of coffee and 1 cup of tea.

Edited by Ling (log)

rye toast spread with aioli, topped with smoked salmon and a fried egg. On the side, a whole tomato sliced up and salted. And a cup of hot tea with milk. I usually don't like supermarket tomatoes, especially outside of summer, but when I was in Poland last winter we had sliced, salted tomatoes with breakfast every morning with our bread and cheese and it was wonderful. Salt helps a lot. Not the same as those heavenly, meaty, red summer tomatoes sliced thick, but still brightens things up.

I'm having greek yoghurt with a little maple sugar on top.... yum

edited for spelling

Edited by binkyboots (log)

Spam in my pantry at home.

Think of expiration, better read the label now.

Spam breakfast, dinner or lunch.

Think about how it's been pre-cooked, wonder if I'll just eat it cold.

wierd al ~ spam

Man that looks good. What do you have with that wine or coffee? Not that I would drink wine at the in the early am but it just seems to call out for something crisp and cool. A decent apple or non alcoholic beverage. It just seems regular "breakfast drinks" would mute the dish.

Ah, it's been way too long since I did a butt. - Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

--------------------

One summers evening drunk to hell, I sat there nearly lifeless…Warren

Russ just got back from up north with three different scrapples and several different beers, so breakfast this morning:

gallery_13038_837_149368.jpg

Rapa Scrapple, baked eggs on from-scratch creamed spinach with a sprinkling of Parm-Reg, fresh tomatoes and fresh mango.

gallery_13038_837_12601.jpg

gallery_13038_837_93968.jpg

and the obvious.

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

salmon and cream cheese wisked into eggs with plenty of butter and some chives. shrimp quick-marinaded with lemon grass, nam pla, jerk seasoning, red pepper, and garlic and grilled really fast. for dipping, chili oil, sesame seeds, and duck sauce. Only gripe is I didnt make more.

hi everyone. i'm ubernew here.

at three thirty in the morning i woke up starving. i made over easy eggs in too much butter. the edges were crispy and so delicious!

i used to eat lots of this "health" bread my grandmother used to make. it had soft raisins, whole wheat and was made with bulgarian yogurt.

didn't keep well, but it was heavy and dense and moist.

anyone know of anything similar? i'd like to have it for breakfast.

Russ just got back from up north with three different scrapples and several different beers, so breakfast this morning:

gallery_13038_837_149368.jpg

Rapa Scrapple, baked eggs on from-scratch creamed spinach with a sprinkling of Parm-Reg, fresh tomatoes and fresh mango.

Never having heard of scrapple before, I Googled it and came up with this description.

Susan, as the description seemed particularly unappetizing, could you enlighten me on the culinary delight that is scrapple? And what exactly is Rapa Scrapple? :huh:

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

And what exactly is Rapa Scrapple?  :huh:

It is Scrapple that can bust a rhyme! :cool:

Word

Ah, it's been way too long since I did a butt. - Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

--------------------

One summers evening drunk to hell, I sat there nearly lifeless…Warren

It is Scrapple that can bust a rhyme! :cool:

ROFL!

Scrapple lovers think of it as food for the gods. Anti-scrapplers consider it a culinary abomination.

...How true!

I read the link, Mooshmouse, and it describes scrapple well. Obviously I am in the Food For The Gods Camp. My way to explain the delight is... it tastes so good! And, I just love the crispy outside... But it has to be a nice soft texture on the inside to enjoy the crispy outside. Some brands taste better than others, and some brands cook to perfection easier than others. Rapa is a brand of scrapple. Often there is heated debate among scrapple lovers of who makes the best. Rapa is my husband's favorite and it was what I was raised on. My favorite is Delaware Maid, but I don't know if they make it anymore; Russ couldn't find it when he was up north. He also brought home Kirby & Holloway and Habbersett this time.

While I'm "here"... brunch today is a scrapple sandwich. I like mine on soft bread with butter. :wub:

Never having heard of scrapple before, I Googled it and came up with this description.

For you and anyone else unfamiliar with scrapple (or for anyone's amusement, for that matter :biggrin:), here is a step-by-step on my way of making a scrapple sandwich.

gallery_13038_837_148986.jpg

Frying

gallery_13038_837_138756.jpg

Frying Closeup

gallery_13038_837_163344.jpg

Butter the Bread

gallery_13038_837_149497.jpg

Cut

gallery_13038_837_132982.jpg

Ready

(No beer with it for breakfast during the week. :smile:)

Man that looks good. What do you have with that wine or coffee? Not that I would drink wine at the in the early am but it just seems to call out for something crisp and cool. A decent apple or non alcoholic beverage. It just seems regular "breakfast drinks" would mute the dish.

Well, we often pop open a champagne / sparkling wine on Sundays for brunch. However, this was on a Saturday and I probably had coffee or earl grey (can't remember).

BTW - scrapple is quite common in my locale, but I have only tried it once and have not had the desire to try it again. Apparently the key is cooking it till the outter part is crisp, like Susan's pictures indicate.

Edited by percyn (log)

Thank you Susan for providing me with some insight on the culinary phenomenon that is scrapple and the corresponding pictorial. :smile:

And thanks too Percy for contributing your two cents. I'm curious: why haven't you had the desire to try it again?

I suppose what I'm most curious about is the taste. What does scrapple taste like? Does it compare to sausage? Spam? And is there a particular condiment that you like to eat it with, or does it taste best on its own?

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

I guess I didn't really describe the taste, did I.... :hmmm: Well, it's not for fat-free diets. :smile: I think that means I would automatically like it. I hate to say it has a good taste of greasy, but I suppose it does. It has a slight liver taste, and spices, but not strong spices. In some brands you can taste the cornmeal more than others. Actually, for everything I said it depends on the brand -- some fattier, some more liverie, some spicier. It doesn't taste like sausage or Spam, but it's hard to say because the consistency is so much different from those foods.

Gee, I didn't realize how difficult it is to describe the flavor! Help, anyone?

AND, I do not like anything on my scrapple, except the butter that's on the bread in a sandwich, or the egg yolk running all over it in scrapple and eggs. Lots of people like ketchup, but I wouldn't dare do that. :raz:

Ah-haa... I just looked at the list of ingredients, which I hadn't done for years. They have gotten more specific I see. Listed is: pork stock, pork skins, corn meal, wheat flour, pork hearts, pork livers, pork tongues, salt and spices. I guess Pam will not be featuring any scrapple in her blog.

Yesterday: 2 huges pieces of Oreo cheesecake and a chocolate ganache cake from a nearby bakery (Pane from Heaven). 2 cups of coffee with sugar and cream.

Today: leftovers from last night's dinner--roast pork smeared with Dijon mustard and honey, and balsamic-glazed onions. And a nice wedge of double-cream camembert (from Popular Grove). 2 cups of coffee with sugar and cream.

so, a question.

what are the semantic boundaries of breakfast? I know you can eat breakfast foods at any time of the day or night.

what if you don't go to sleep? for several days?

coffee. breakfast of thesis champions, yo.

7 days, 23 hours and 52 minutes to deadline.

"The Internet is just a world passing around notes in a classroom."

---John Stewart

my blog

Yo, I don't know, but you sure have been consistent and persistent in your breakfasts of thesis champions, so I wish you well. How are you coming along on meeting your deadline?

Cheers!