• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast! The most important meal of the day (2004-2011)

percyn

Peach yogurt with sprouted grain cereal. But I was at work and I got busy and the cereal ended up getting soggy and mushy and I ended up throwing most of it away.

So now I'm nibbling on a bran muffin & coffee. (sigh)

I'm gonna go bake something…

wanna come with?

Today I had my favorite Sunday breakfast:

freshly squeezed orange juice (today it was blood orange juice, which is even better)

a soft boiled egg

a hot piece of toast, buttered

a couple of slices of mature cheese

gallery_13038_837_116710.jpg

gallery_13038_837_44325.jpg

We decided to go out in style today, before I cut back my caloric intake and kick it up a notch on my workouts starting tomorrow morning.... Eggs, potatoes cooked in goose fat, left-over steak, French toast for "dessert", and Dogfish Head Chicory Stout.

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

Today I had my favorite Sunday breakfast:

freshly squeezed orange juice (today it was blood orange juice, which is even better)

a soft boiled egg

a hot piece of toast, buttered

a couple of slices of mature cheese

Soft-boiled eggs and toast is a breakfast I love, too Chufi. I'll have to remember to add some cheese to that.

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

Woke up hungover as hell this morning so breakfast ended up being a chorizo and pancetta burrito .... I'm still trying to work out if that was a good idea or not.

Cheers

Tom

I want food and I want it now

• 2 weeks later...

I took a cue from Malawry's recent great food blog--and had lightly spiced and sweetened fromage blanc (farmer's cheese) with strawberries. Had a slice of toasted walnut wheat bread with it.

I used her seasonings in the cheese: nutmeg, cinnamon and chinese five spice powder with a little sugar. Early strawberries, but they were pretty good sliced up and macerated for half an hour in sugar.

Note: Malawry served this with sauteed apples as a dessert which we also tried a few days ago--I'm happy to have added this quick dessert to my repertoire!

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

for johnnybird - leftover corned beef hash with an egg scrambled in it and ketchup.

me - LARGE cup of orange cappacino and a turkey ham and heavenly light swiss wrap. hey - i have a group of 5th graders at 10 for library instruction and research, i need my energy. :rolleyes:

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Didn't make my breakfast, but I had a wonderful poppy seed strudel this morning with a couple of cups of good coffee.

(The strudel was courtesy of my Mom, US Priority mail and a good Polish bakery in New Britain, CT).

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

Hot cross buns (consumed, not made); coffee, antibiotics. Happy Easter!

I'm a canning clean freak because there's no sorry large enough to cover the, "Oops! I gave you botulism" regrets.

I made one of the more complicated waffle recipes out of "How to Cook Everything." You know, one where you whip the eggs whites seperately. It was good, but I couldn't tell the difference in terms of texture. Then again maybe if I made waffles more than like, twice a year I might be able to differentiate more. But then I'd have to eat waffles more than twice a year.

Because it's Easter & we haven't been having to work, I've been making pancakes - a different variety each day. This morning's were pear & cinnamon - with the obligatory unsalted butter and maple syrup - and lots of coffee - delicious (and a great way to use up slightly old pears).

Hope this isn't rude:

I LOVE the pics everyone posts, and everything looks marvellous. It could very well be the fault of my computer's colour-processing stuff, but ALL the eggs look anaemic. This has, sadly, always been my experience in America for breakfast as well. Eggs are orangey-yellow. Beigey yellow are bad - off - factory farmed. And orangey eggs taste SOOOOO much better. Sorry...

Hope this isn't rude:

I LOVE the pics everyone posts, and everything looks marvellous. It could very well be the fault of my computer's colour-processing stuff, but ALL the eggs look anaemic. This has, sadly, always been my experience in America for breakfast as well. Eggs are orangey-yellow. Beigey yellow are bad - off - factory farmed. And orangey eggs taste SOOOOO much better. Sorry...

Brithack,

It is true that the eggs in the US are not as colorful as other countries (partly due to pasturization). For this reason I try to buy farm fresh, unpasturized eggs, for increased color and flavor.

Cheers

Percy

• 2 weeks later...

Recently I fried one slice of bacon. In the grease, I also browned two slices of leftover polenta. On my plate I placed the two slices of polenta, then one sunny sides up double yolk egg, and crumbled the bacon on top of that.

Maggie