• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast! The most important meal of the day (2004-2011)

percyn

What are parathas? They look like the scallion pancakes I made for a midnight snack last night, minus the scallions.  :smile: I'll post a recipe if anyone's interested!

I have scallions in the fridge. Please do post your recipe, Ling. Thanks!

Yetty CintaS

I am spaghetttti

not feeling quite the thing but managed to make johnnybird some french toast as a treat served with real maple syrup, of course.

ususally he doesn't like to eat much at first - toast with toast dope, cinnamon rolls or maybe an egg sarnie but since he didn't go to bed till 3 and got up about 9:30 he could manage a bit more.

will see what the next 15" of snow bring for breakfast tomorrow - lots of coffee for me i predict :raz:

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

this fine morning we had slices of my last mail ordered O H bakery pecan kringle in the car on the way to NYC

need to order more kringle

t

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

Scallion pancakes:

Mix together 3 cups of flour and about a cup of hot water. Then add about 1/2 cup of cold water and knead for a few minutes on a floured surface. The dough shouldn't be too sticky--if it is, just add some more flour. Put the dough back into the mixing bowl, and cover it with a damp cloth or damp paper towel for about an hour. Chop 4 or 5 scallions finely.

Divide the dough into 4 pieces. Roll out one piece as thin as possible, and pour about a tsp of vegetable oil and a few drops of sesame oil onto the dough, spreading it so the dough is well-oiled to the edge. Sprinkle a little more than 1/2 tsp. of salt evenly, then roll up the dough as if you were making a cinnamon bun. Coil up the dough, and then roll it out again as thin as possible. Spread a bit more oil on the dough, and a few more scallions (but no more salt), then roll it up, coil it, and flatten it again so it looks like a pancake. Heat a good amount of oil (about 2 tbsp) on medium-high heat, and then brown the pancake. When it's done on both sides, you can sprinkle a bit more salt on it before serving.

Enjoy!

Parathas are a flaky Indian bread that are indeed quite similar to scallion pancakes. Often they're stuffed with potatoes or onions or other things (you may have encountered them in this form in Indian restaurants). These are unstuffed, and also not quite really parathas because they're made with olive oil rather than ghee. As it happens, I just made another batch of them and took photos for my own website, so I'll give you the really full version, if you're interested.

"went together easy, but I did not like the taste of the bacon and orange tang together"

percyn, that omelette looks heavenly!

I made spaghettti's blueberry pancakes yesterday morning - they were delicious! high pancakes, nice and spongy for the maple syrup. They were definitely the prettiest pancakes I'd ever made.

this morning, the old standby- homemade granola and yogurt.

That omelette does look heavenly. I haven't been posting on this thread since I haven't had many remarkable breakfasts for quite some time. On the few occasions I have eaten breakfast, it's been part of my new year's resolve, healthly ones like high fiber heart healthy cold cereal with skim milk. Not bad, but not too exciting for posting, either...

Yesterday we had a remarkable brunch at a local restaurant -- remarkably bad. It was a buffet with mediocre breakfast food, no variety, and poor service for the drinks. The best part was when we left there and went to another place with an outdoor bar, where we had an excellent Bloody Mary, garnished with a lunch on sticks.

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

Well, since I've started Weight Watchers I've been eating hot dogs for BF every day.

Fat Free Ball Park Franks 1 pt.

Wonder Light buns 1 pt.

Mustard, catsup (ketchup, whatever)

Glass of milk

Hot, tasty, very filling and jump starts my day. Been on WW two weeks and lost over 12 lbs so far.

Edited by Octaveman (log)

My Photography: Bob Worthington Photography

My music: Coronado Big Band

I had my usual breakfast, something I eat probably at least 5 times a week....4 soft-scrambled eggs and 2 cups of coffee.

Soft-scrambled eggs are my favorite...I would have them every day if I had time to cook breakfast or if the breakfast cook in the cafe at work knew the meaning of soft (apparently it is not "cooked" if he can't slice it with a knife) :wacko: .

Ling, try adding some truffle butter on your scrambled eggs.

Octaveman, congratz on the weight loss.

I was getting tired of my daily dose of porridge and so, the other day, I made a big pot of congee :laugh::laugh:

gallery_11420_286_34088.jpg

My rice cooker doesn't have a porridge setting and won't cook congee worth a damn without it so I tried it in the slow cooker instead. It worked like a charm. I used a mixture of haiga rice and brown rice and cooked it in homemade chicken stock. Yesterday, I ate it with leftover roast chicken, ginger, green onions, and sambal olek. Today, it was just the ginger, green onions, and soy with a side of kim chee.

This was more "brunch" than breakfast, given that I ate it around 10:30 or so.

Reading How to Cook Everything and, especially the bits where he extolled the virtues of slow-cooked scrambled eggs, gave me a hankering to try it.

I whisked some parmesan, some whole milk, some salt, and some cracked red pepper into a few eggs, and cooked 'em slowly over low heat. They were fab.

Also cooked up a buncha bacon.

* AB drinks one of those "Guiness Pub Draught" beers, with the nitrogen cannister in the bottom of the can.

* AB wonders what Budweiser would taste like with one of those...

<AB> . o O (Like shit, still, I should think.)

Yeast waffles, NY maple syrup (Mom's my supplier) and sausage.........with a blueberry and sliced strawberry fruit salad. My day is so set to be a good one!

I'm a canning clean freak because there's no sorry large enough to cover the, "Oops! I gave you botulism" regrets.

Soft scrambled eggs w/Chou Sou sauce

This was an experiment....I was staring into my fridge with an eye on the smoked duck breast, when I spotted some left over Chao Shou (spicy Sichuan dumpling in red oil) sauce. People top their eggs with tabasco, chives, green onions, so why not??? I thought to myself :raz:

The result was fabulous !!! Thought it does not come through in the picture, this egg packed quite a punch and adds some depth to the flavor.

gallery_21049_162_26059.jpg

This morning it was something new, eggs in purgatory. Eggs poached in marinara sauce with parmesan cheese. Served over french bread toast. It turned out great.

Charles a food and wine addict - "Just as magic can be black or white, so can addictions be good, bad or neither. As long as a habit enslaves it makes the grade, it need not be sinful as well." - Victor Mollo

I'm very fond of the eggs in Hades (not purgatory, my eggs were more badly behaved). I use a soffrito instead of marinara (more latin than Italian, saute onions, garlic, a little celery and chile peppers to taste, add a can of diced tomatoes, cook to desired consistency and then poch eggs in the sauce).

This morning was country ham biscuits to watch the snow. I use the Joy of Cooking buttermilk biscuit recipe and had a little frozen country ham left over from the holidays. Very enjoyable with strong coffee and Sunday paper.

We finally cooked a breakfast. We have a brand new supply of goose fat from cooking a goose last night, so Russ made "goose skin hash" ...that doesn't sound too appetizing does it? It was tasty, though: little pieces of crispy skin, potatoes, and onions cooked with some of the fat, accompanied by fried eggs over easy and fresh OJ.

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

before i headed for the gym made toad in the hole for our breakfast with some nicely spiced pork breakfast sausages a co-worker brought me from her last trip to canada. they were wonderfully balanced in the seasoning department.

...and iced tea for me. hey, it was almost back up to freezing. :rolleyes:

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites