• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast! The most important meal of the day (2004-2011)

percyn

On pretty much a challenge and a guaranteed refund if it sucked from the local greek deli owner, I ordered a gyro egg and cheese.. It was pretty good.. For dessert I had some homemade shoe fly pie my mother made for me.. :blink: Its a few hours later and I am slowly climbing out of the whole. Time for something a little more conservative perhaps.

Muesli w/ cottage cheese (I'm currently out of yogurt/kefir).

Coffee w/ half&half in staggering amounts (both the overall coffee volume and the half/half to coffee ratio).

Later morning.... protein bar, from a boatload of them snagged at Big Lots for $.49 each(!). I guess the Atkins backlash is in full swing.... :raz:

Andrea

http://tenacity.net

"You can't taste the beauty and energy of the Earth in a Twinkie." - Astrid Alauda

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Food Lovers' Guide to Santa Fe, Albuquerque & Taos: OMG I wrote a book. Woo!

Two Alka Seltzer Morning Relief tablets followed by two cups of Yuban 100% Columbian with 1/2 & 1/2 followed by one egg fried up in a little olive oil and butter with last night's few leftover french fries - I saw Lidia do something similar but with freshly cut potatoes. It was GOOD.

I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.

Scrambled eggs with sautéed onion, leftover smoked turkey breast, and pepper-jack cheese. Wrapped in warm tortillas with sliced avocado on the side. Coffee.

"There is no worse taste in the mouth than chocolate and cigarettes. Second would be tuna and peppermint. I've combined everything, so I know."

--Augusten Burroughs

Sunday is mother-in-law breakfast day.

She comes over after church, I make her a Bloody Mary to start the week right, then it's breakfast/lunch.

Today it's going to be smoked brisket hash, and a fritatta with asparagus, some leftover shrimp, and leeks out of the garden, topped with cream de frache and a grated Spanish sheep's cheese. Melon and toast to accompany.

Mom’s 91 and goes back to her retirement home in a good frame of mind for the start of the week. Breakfast is important.

Dave

Sunday is mother-in-law breakfast day. 

She comes over after church, I make her a Bloody Mary to start the week right, then it's breakfast/lunch.

Today it's going to be smoked brisket hash, and a fritatta with asparagus, some leftover shrimp, and leeks out of the garden, topped with cream de frache and a grated  Spanish sheep's cheese. Melon and toast to accompany.

Mom’s  91 and goes back to her retirement home in a good frame of mind for the start of  the week.  Breakfast is important.

Dave

Sounds like a meal that smooths the soul...

Yesterday's (Saturday) breakfast...

Scrambled eggs w/chives and truffles, sauteed mushrooms and smoked duck breast.

gallery_21049_162_1101052229.jpg

Sauteed the mushroom (mix of portobella, porcini and oyester) in some butter, EVOO and white truffle oil.

Egg made with 2 farm fresh eggs, 1/2 and 1/2, and a bit of the white truffle oil. Garnished with chives and some black truffle butter.

I must be a sucker for the D'Artagnan smoked duck breast....I always seem to have some on hand and need to find opportunities to consume it in time :rolleyes:

Sunday breakfast...

We usually go out for brunch on Sunday's or I make a pretty elaborate breakfast/brunch. However, we are going to a new restaurant this evening and there are quite a few items on the menu I want to try, so I have to pace myself :raz: , thus we decided to eat some fruit. Plus, I found this lovely pineapple at the local farmers market.

gallery_21049_162_1101052257.jpg

I must be a sucker for the D'Artagnan smoked duck breast....I always seem to have some on hand and need to find opportunities to consume it in time :rolleyes:

...Breakfast is a great way to consume it, at least it is from the looks of your breakfasts! :wub:

For breakfast on the porch this morning I had leftover steak and eggs in a different form than usual... after yesterday morning I had my fill of runny yolks, so I had a Little Ms. Foodie -style egg :smile: on a cold plate.

gallery_13038_284_1101054744.jpg

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

...Breakfast is a great way to consume it, at least it is from the looks of your breakfasts! :wub:

For breakfast on the porch this morning I had leftover steak and eggs in a different form than usual... after yesterday morning I had my fill of runny yolks, so I had a Little Ms. Foodie -style egg :smile: on a cold plate.

gallery_13038_284_1101054744.jpg

Looks fabulous and reminds me that I need to boil some eggs! :laugh:

On Sunday Dayne made a very yummy scramble with some left over Italian sweet sausage, mix of herbs, pepper jack and gruyere cheese. toasted baguette and butter. Apple cider.

This morning was baguette toasted with goat cheese.

I need more ideas for quick weekday breakfasts! :smile:

Yesterday's (Saturday) breakfast...

Scrambled eggs w/chives and truffles, sauteed mushrooms and smoked duck breast.

gallery_21049_162_1101052229.jpg

Sauteed the mushroom (mix of portobella, porcini and oyester) in some butter, EVOO and white truffle oil.

Egg made with 2 farm fresh eggs, 1/2 and 1/2, and a bit of the white truffle oil. Garnished with chives and some black truffle butter.

All your breakfasts and dinners look fantastic!

What if we all got together for a pot luck ?  :biggrin:

Wouldn't that be great?! Maybe someday instead of just regional eG get-togethers, there will be a gathering of people from all over, maybe an eG pot luck convention! But Percy I must say I would like you to cook breakfast.

With Russ's return from Delaware, we have fresh SCRAPPLE on hand (three brands)! I haven't take a picture yet, but the morning after he got home, I had a scrapple sandwich, which may be my all time favorite breakfast or brunch food. Soft white bread, buttered, and the scrapple cooked crispy on the outside and creamy inside... yum.

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

susan- fresh scrapple is on tomorrow's breakfast menu. my brother drove down from philly today and there were requests for it- this is from one of the amish stands at reading terminal. i'm not a fan myself- i prefer kielbaasa with my eggs - but i have been known to pick it up in PA and tote it down to tampa for my mom. alas no fresh kielbasa this thanksgiving!

"Ham isn't heroin..." Morgan Spurlock from "Supersize Me"

Given that our kitchen is currently undergoing renovation and is, how can I say this... unusable at the moment, my breakfast usually consists of an excellent triple latte from Cafe Regular in Brooklyn along with a pain au chocolat.

I will save you the horror of showing you a picture of what the space used to be our kitchen looks like.

John Deragon

foodblog 1 / 2

--

I feel sorry for people that don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day -- Dean Martin

What if we all got together for a pot luck ?  :biggrin:

Wouldn't that be great?! Maybe someday instead of just regional eG get-togethers, there will be a gathering of people from all over, maybe an eG pot luck convention! But Percy I must say I would like you to cook breakfast.

Susan - Done !

Wouldn't an eG pot luck be great? Only problem would be finding a familiar setting to cook in. I would be willing to travel anywhere in the US for this.

Now lets see if my prediction of "turkey-something for breakfast" starts coming true over the next few days

What, no other breakfast pie eaters???

We've been enjoying sweet potato and pear ginger pie for the last few days. (Last piece today).

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"