• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast! The most important meal of the day (2004-2011)

percyn

gallery_7869_302_1099166556.jpg

Crispix day in day out, year in year out, decade in decade out, unless I think I need more fiber, then it's bran flakes. Years ago while being interviewed on TV J.C. was asked if she ate cold cereal in the morning, and she said that occasionally she did and she liked Crispix. Well, that was good enough for me.

"A fool", he said, "would have swallowed it". Samuel Johnson

Coffee with heavy cream and splenda, ice water and. . .

foie-n-eggs.jpg

Foie gras with toast points, peach preserves and creamy scrambled eggs. My favorite breakfast, actually. My boyfriend brought home some leftover foie gras from work, which seems like some kind of weird oxymoron. How does one have "leftover" foie gras? Well, these are some of the little end pieces that don't make a perfect restaurant slice. They still taste pretty darned good, though.

Wow what a terrific breakfast your boyfriend made for you! He must really be wonderful! :biggrin:

"Success is the sum of alot of small things done correctly."

-- Fernand Point

Coffee with heavy cream and splenda, ice water and. . .

foie-n-eggs.jpg

Foie gras with toast points, peach preserves and creamy scrambled eggs. My favorite breakfast, actually. My boyfriend brought home some leftover foie gras from work, which seems like some kind of weird oxymoron. How does one have "leftover" foie gras? Well, these are some of the little end pieces that don't make a perfect restaurant slice. They still taste pretty darned good, though.

Wow what a terrific breakfast your boyfriend made for you! He must really be wonderful! :biggrin:

GREAT DAY IN THE MORNIN'! Now I must waddle over to the PMS thread and add this little mugshot--thanks, f'tutor!

Saucisse De Canard A L'Armagnac with scrambled eggs and truffle butter

gallery_21049_162_1099191252.jpg

This saugage tastes just like a foie gras pate. I cut it up into small pieces and seared it in a cast iron pan, but the inside was still moist and juicy.

P.S : I boiled some eggs (LMF style :rolleyes: ) and though I have not enjoyed them yet, I plan to with some caviar tomorrow :biggrin:

Edited by percyn (log)

yyyyikes this stuff looks good. I've never eaten caviar in all my 23 years (just salmon eggs and those tiny orange ones that come on sushi).

On work days, I usually just have some fruit and Kashi before rushing out to catch the subway, sometimes just fruit. Sometimes a slice of banana bread (I slice it and put it in the freezer right after it cools so I don't eat the whole thing at once).

When my boyfriend's in town we have omelettes, coffee, the works, on the weekends, otherwise my current favorite is toast and fresh ground peanut butter with a huge mug of strong chai--boil the heck out of some low quality tea leaves and coarse ground cardomom, add milk and bring to a boil again (1:1 water:milk).

Strengthen me with raisins,

refresh me with apples,

for I am faint with love.

Well, it's not classically breakfast, but this morning I had a turkey and rice soup: The turkey was purchased at my local farmer's market, and spent the night in my crockpot, brewing with some celery and onions. My whole house smelled so good this morning!

I'm a canning clean freak because there's no sorry large enough to cover the, "Oops! I gave you botulism" regrets.

Ok, so I don't eat eggs everyday!!!

This morning in memory of our month in Spain last summer:

Chocolate con Churros!!!

gallery_16100_231_1099860345.jpg

gallery_16100_231_1099854732.jpg

Oh yeah!!! These bring back memories. Thick hot chocolate, hot yummy churros right out of the fryer!!

Edited by little ms foodie (log)

It actually took me a few days to recover enough to actually post this photo of breakfast.

This was the..um...morning after...3pm....the Vancouver eGullet Big Night Event.

gallery_18348_340_1099785848.jpg

Scottish Style sausages, Bacon, Ayreshire Ham, Eggs scrambled in the Ham fat and of course Tater tots thanks to the Tater Tot thread.

It was a good night, but boy did I pay.

Scottish Style sausages, Bacon, Ayreshire Ham, Eggs scrambled in the Ham fat and of course Tater tots thanks to the Tater Tot thread. 

Peppyre,

Looks delicious... Please forgive my ignorance, but what makes the sausages "Scottish style"? Are these the same as "bangers" one would get in the UK?

Cheers

P

Breakfast like dinner is not just what we're eating, but also with whom, the sights, the sounds, the smells, the weather... what a way to start the day. :smile:

So was the case for our breakfast of eggs, potatoes, juice, and coffee on the porch this morning.

gallery_13038_284_1100365300.jpg

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

Mmmm Percy, I'll take Huevos Rancheros your way, or Surf n Turf your way, or most anything your way for that matter!

Though cloudy outside, we had another lovely breakfast setting today. Only by the time we ate it, it was a champagne brunch (non-capitalized champagne meaning not Champagne, but sparkling wine :biggrin: ).

gallery_13038_284_1100465251.jpg

Fried eggs over warm lentil salad with lardons, adapted from Sara Moulton's recipe, and the ever-popular toasted left-over baguette with goat cheese.

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

Cold takeout pizza that had been sitting on the counter all night. What made it worse was the fact that Jeff went and took a huge bite out of each slice and then proceeded to pick the cheese and toppings off each piece at some point during last night's, uh, festivities.

Needless to say, there are no pictures.

:laugh:

Cold takeout pizza that had been sitting on the counter all night.  What made it worse was the fact that Jeff went and took a huge bite out of each slice and then proceeded to pick the cheese and toppings off each piece at some point during last night's, uh, festivities.

Needless to say, there are no pictures.

:laugh:

LOL, Eunny, sometimes cold pizza for breakfast is enjoyable (especially if you have a hang-over) and these are the breakfasts that one remembers...if they are lucky :raz:

I can't believe it. Not one mention of country ham, red eye gravy, or grits. What's it like in Europe this time of year?

Martinis don't come from vodka and bacon don't come from turkeys!

Small bowl of sweet, seedless red grapes.

Large bowl of oxtail soup: thick tomato & oxtail base, crammed with soft carrots, cabbage, onions, potatoes... Mmmmm, warm & comforting start to the day.

Heaven - steaming bowl of perfectly slippery flat rice noodles, coriander, spring onions, thin slices of marbled beef, hot hot hot broth...

I ate a whole pomello. I have way too much fruit at home this week.

And then an hour later I had a big piece of leftover roast lamb. Eaten with the fridge door still open, and with my fingers. Yes, I was raised in a barn.

Edited by Ling (log)