• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast! The most important meal of the day (2004-2011)

percyn

The season's quickly ending here, so this might be the last time I get to have one of these perfect breakfasts during my round...

35169004.jpg

Clockwise, from upper left - Aiming fluid (Macallan 12), consciousness enhancer (quad shot americano), my handicap card, the requisite cat turds, muscle lubricant (1-3, depending on day) - and in the middle, my pellet of choice, inscribed as always with a cheerfully profane message of encouragement for my playing partners...

Todd McGillivray

"I still throw a few back, talk a little smack, when I'm feelin' bulletproof..."

The season's quickly ending here, so this might be the last time I get to have one of these perfect breakfasts during my round...

Love it!

This morning for breakfast I had brunch at the bar on our porch. It was a pasta fritatta/omelet/pie thingie using left over pasta, some of the leftover Brussels sprout leaves and pancetta, and freshly squeezed OJ.

gallery_13038_223_1098150324.jpg

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

Wow! You're having a good run of it in PEI! Had the kids at the driving range on Sunday myself ... all the golf I can handle really. :biggrin:

Before we left, J made us Buttermilk Pancakes with Hazelnuts, served with Cranberry-Maple syrup. The syrup is amazing!

Coffee ... tripple latte made with JJ Bean Nero Forte beans. Love my Saeco!

A.

leftover pasta with tomato-vodka sauce. pot of coffee.

i'm trying to give myself an ulcer... :wink:

"There is no worse taste in the mouth than chocolate and cigarettes. Second would be tuna and peppermint. I've combined everything, so I know."

--Augusten Burroughs

cafe con leche made by my adoring husband, hard boiled egg with salt. I love hard boiled eggs! Lately my husband has been doing them with the method I taught him (eggs in cold water to cover, bring to a boil, cover and turn off heat, 11 mins, rinse with cold water) and has been doing a kick ass job! No grey around the yolks and just cooked so they are a bit creamy in the middle. yummmmmm........ and just like in Paris I leave the hard boiled eggs on the counter in a cute little bowl and we grab them for a few days.

........ and just like in Paris I leave the hard boiled eggs on the counter in a cute little bowl and we grab them for a few days.

Great idea! The only time I have done that is at Easter. Why not at any other time? Thanks. :smile:

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

My current daily breakfast is coffee and egg drop soup. I'm in a phase. One of my favorite breakfasts that I used to take to the office was miso soup and an Iggy's roll with taleggio. I love soup for breakfast! Oooh, spinach soup with hard boiled egg is also fantastic.

My first post, I'm so excited. :biggrin:

Lately my husband has been doing them with the method I taught him (eggs in cold water to cover, bring to a boil, cover and turn off heat, 11 mins, rinse with cold water) and has been doing a kick ass job!

wonderful method, I tried it this morning while doing the last of my homework and they turned out great. plus i didn't have to worry about the water boiling over

i'm getting so many ideas for cooking eggs on this thread!

My current daily breakfast is coffee and egg drop soup.  I'm in a phase.  One of my favorite breakfasts that I used to take to the office was miso soup and an Iggy's roll with taleggio.  I love soup for breakfast!  Oooh, spinach soup with hard boiled egg is also fantastic.

My first post, I'm so excited.  :biggrin:

Ellie, welcome to eGullet.

Soup for breakfast sounds very appealing to me. I'm one of those who prefers something savory for breakfast anyway. And what a great way to start the day, with egg drop soup. Would you be willing to share your recipe?

Yetty CintaS

I am spaghetttti

wonderful method, I tried it this morning while doing the last of my homework and they  turned out great. plus i didn't have to worry about the water boiling over

i'm getting so many ideas for cooking eggs on this thread!

I can't remember where I heard it but I think it works great too. Especially for making deviled eggs, no grey yolks! And I agree about the boiling water!

This morning we had shots of espresso and toast with butter.

Two large eggs scrambled somewhat soft sprinkled with Chipolte tobasco sauce, a whole wheat muffing with a touch of Smuckers Whole Fruit (strawberry) and three gorgeous pieces of Niman Ranch Dry Cured Center Cut bacon.....yum!

Easily the best bacon I've ever had. $4.89 for 12oz. at Trader Joes.

David

Well, today it was fast food (my downfall of choice). But usually, I have Creamy Banana Couscous - couscous mixed with cinnamon, splenda, chopped up banana, and evap. skim milk, then microwaved. Yummy! Even better if you add in a spoonful of peanut butter.

nan

Today for me was just a basic bowl of bacon and eggs, not exciting, but it got the day started off on the right foot.

He don't mix meat and dairy,

He don't eat humble pie,

So sing a miserere

And hang the bastard high!

- Richard Wilbur and John LaTouche from Candide

orange juice

brioche with sweet butter and strawberry jam

home-made chai tea

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

Farm fresh egg poached in milk (1/2 and 1/2 actually), with Saucisse de Canard A L'Armagnac (Sausage of duck liver, pork and armagnac - if you like foie gras, this is like having it for breakfast).

gallery_21049_162_1098462229.jpg

As a child growning up a many continents, I used to frequently have eggs poached in milk or cream, but I have never seen it done in the US. The cream infuses a delicate sweet taste to the egg and is simply delicious when dabbed with a slice of bread.

The suasages are from one of my favorite stores, D'Artagnan

gallery_21049_162_1098462642.jpg

Farm fresh egg poached in milk (1/2 and 1/2 actually), with Saucisse de Canard A L'Armagnac (Sausage of duck liver, pork and armagnac - if you like foie gras, this is like having it for breakfast).

gallery_21049_162_1098462229.jpg

As a child growning up a many continents, I used to frequently have eggs poached in milk or cream, but I have never seen it done in the US. The cream infuses a delicate sweet taste to the egg and is simply delicious when dabbed with a slice of bread.

The suasages are from one of my favorite stores, D'Artagnan

gallery_21049_162_1098462642.jpg

YUMMMMMMMMM! Man that looks soooo good!

Since we only get to splurge with our breakfast on the weekends today was similar to other days..........

shot of espresso, 1 sugar cube, toast with chocolate pear jam (picked up in Barcelona recently, very good!)

This morning I had brioche, a coddled egg and a cup of Senseo dark roast coffee with milk and a little Splenda.

I baked the brioche because I am making my fancy version of bread pudding tonight for a brunch tomorrow.

I was awakened early by neighbors going up the driveway to the big garden in back to pick the remainder of the veggies. Today and tomorrow are open gate days as I have all that I need already harvested.

Since all of them help me from time to time, it is the least I can do.

It is quite chilly this morning so I have big urns of coffee, tea and hot cider to go along with a bunch of scones I baked off last night. They usually congregate out on the deck after picking but today will probably come into the family room. Overnight temps down to 37.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Yogurt shake - fat free Stonyfield Farms plain yogurt, cranberry and blueberry juice, approx. 1/4 tsp of cinnamon. I'm trying to boost my immune system and lower my cholesterol.

Percyn: you are very bad for my credit card. I've been trying very hard to limit my D'Artagnan purchases, but you are making it difficult :biggrin:

Classic Eggs Benedict with Hollandaise and Thyme-Roasted Potatoes

Last weekend we ate at a miserable cafe and had the worst benedict of all time. The eggs weren't so much poached as hard-boiled. The sauce was broken, and the potatoes were bland and far too al dente. I erased those memories this morning with gooey eggs, clarified butter-toasted muffins, excellent Canadian Bacon from a Neiman Ranch pork loin, and a classic hollandaise straight from the days of culinary school. The potatoes were fluffy on the inside, crunchy on the outside, and tossed with sea salt, thyme, and chives. Lovely. We had French-press coffee with half and half and orange/grapefruit/pomegranate juice. It was a proper brunch to be sure. Best meal of the day!

R. Jason Coulston

jason@popcling.com