• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast! The most important meal of the day (2004-2011)

percyn

Long beans and Gorgonzola i can do, the fish sauce might be a touch too much for me though - i suppose it might work quite well with the saltiness of the gorgonzola though?

"Experience is something you gain just after you needed it" ....A Wise man

Lordy, Percyn!

That is just beautiful.

It's a good thing I have a thinskin protecting my keyboard because I have drooled all over it.

Unfortunately there are just too many calories on that plate for me at this time. :hmmm::sad:

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

percyn – your egg topped cheesesteak is making me a bit pouty. I had a cheesesteak for lunch from a usually dependable (for Virginia) place that was very sub-par and then I come here and see your gorgeous one!

I did some cooking for a retirement breakfast at Mr. Kim’s office last Friday:

med_gallery_3331_117_236424.jpg

Banana-Chocolate chip muffins

med_gallery_3331_117_59086.jpg

Pecan streusel pumpkin muffins

med_gallery_3331_117_18059.jpg

Orange-Ginger muffins

med_gallery_3331_117_28887.jpg

Bread, egg, cheese and bacon casserole – kind like a bacon and cheese savory bread pudding – very good

Breakfast this morning was very simple:

med_gallery_3331_117_186945.jpg

Sausage biscuits and fried eggs. The biscuits were frozen ones, but I did fry the eggs in the sausage grease, so extra points for that, huh :P ?

Kim, it would be pretty easy to make a decent cheesesteak at home were it not for the roll which needs to be a touch crusty, chewy and soft all at the same time (think Kaiser roll). Other than that, slice partially frozen ribeye into thin slices on a flattop, sautee diced onions and mushrooms if you like and top with provolone, american or cheese wiz.

Today we tried breakfast at a new local place.

Fried Eggs, mushrooms, potato hash, toasts

IMG_0256-1200.jpg

butterscotch - the waffles sound delicious! What goes into almond waffles? I was in the mood for waffles or pancakes this weekend, but it just didn't happen. Maybe breakfast for dinner sometime this week.

Breakfast this morning was another go at Breakfast Bruschetta:

med_gallery_3331_117_310764.jpg

This time with tomato jam, bacon jam and bits of Benton’s bacon on top. Freaking amazing combination. Also with poached eggs. That poached egg yolk on the right is the result of me trying to be cute. I always have so much trouble with poached eggs and I got the genius idea (ha!) to poach them in little silicone cupcake cups. Disaster. Oddly, the ones that turned out perfectly were the regular method ones that usually give me so much trouble. Sigh.

med_gallery_3331_117_34179.jpg

Did a brunch for my granddaughter's dedication service at church:

Ham and black pepper parmesan biscuits

brunch 2.jpg

Quiche cups with corn tortilla crusts, for the gluten-intolerant child. The darker ones were yellow corn, with chorizo and black olives; the others were white corn with ham and broccoli.

IMG_1491.JPG

Fruit salad in a dressing of honey, spicy mustard, olive oil and lime juice.

IMG_1483.JPG

Baked caramelized onion spread

IMG_1492.JPG

Crustless lime tarts with whipped cream

IMG_1482.JPG

Black bean and corn salad

IMG_1487.JPG

A few other odds and ends like fig and olive tapenade, gluten-free banana bread with Nutella, chickpea and tomato salad, hummmus and veggies. All in all, a success, though I hate cooking in my daughter's kitchen!

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Nothing to add, because I haven’t made breakfast yet this week, but I had a couple of comments and questions:

Melange – those caramelized bananas are gorgeous! I need to try that.

Kay – lovely brunch. I will remember the corn tortilla trick – we have a niece that is gluten intolerant. Would you please post the recipe for the onion spread? It sounds fantastic!

Kim, as nearly as I can recall, the onion spread is:

8 oz cream cheese

4 oz goat cheese

one great big onion

some marjoram

about 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese

Dice and caramelize the onion; add it to the room-temp cream cheese and goat cheese, and blend it up with a potato masher. Stir in the marjoram. Put in a pie plate, and top with the parm; broil until golden brown.

I had had one similar to it, and had no recipe, so I sort-of made it up as I went along.

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Very nice - perfectly poached eggs. Did you buy the black pudding?

Yes - we have an amazing local butcher where my parents live, it was really herby and quite unusual. I cooked a full english for friends the day after with old spot sausages, aforementioned black pudding, smoked back bacon, tomatoes, beans, mushrooms, fried bread and a choice of fried, poached or scrambled (i know - dont aks!) eggs, was surprised i managed to poach 8 eggs a la minute and get the cooking temperature spot on for all of them at the same time as frying the rest (my sister helped with the scrambled) i think the bloddy mary and bucks fizz were possibly key to my success!!!

"Experience is something you gain just after you needed it" ....A Wise man

Kim, as nearly as I can recall, the onion spread is:

8 oz cream cheese

4 oz goat cheese

one great big onion

some marjoram

about 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese

Dice and caramelize the onion; add it to the room-temp cream cheese and goat cheese, and blend it up with a potato masher. Stir in the marjoram. Put in a pie plate, and top with the parm; broil until golden brown.

I had had one similar to it, and had no recipe, so I sort-of made it up as I went along.

Thanks, Kay! I'm printing that out to use next time we entertain!