• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast! The most important meal of the day (2004-2011)

percyn

The ever delicious QA-BLAT sandwich (Queso Americano, Bacon, Lettuce, Avocado, and Tomato).

Panaderia Canadiense - That looks like what I am now gong to have for dinner tonight!

The other morning I found I had a leftover grilled chicken thigh, so I made a faux "fried rice" using TVP (textured vegetable protein). I rehydrated the TVP with chicken stock and added some peas, corn, onion, water chestnuts, and a scrambled egg. Topped it all with crispy chicken skin and some sriracha.

TVP%252520Fried%252520Rice.jpg

Edited by robirdstx (log)

WOW Kate, now that looks good!

Was this picture taken in a lightbox?

Nah, I'm too lazy for such efforts - like all my pictures, this was just taken haphazardly on the edge of my countertop with my iPhone! Only difference was this was pre-dawn, so what you see are the full glare of the kitchen lights. :wink:

NICE sandwich too, sir.

... in a lightbox?

It looks more like a close encounter of the third kind (lighting-wise, I mean - the food looks delicious).

Hmmm, that may explain so very much..

The ever delicious QA-BLAT sandwich (Queso Americano, Bacon, Lettuce, Avocado, and Tomato).

DSCN7274.jpg

That looks amazing. That bacon!

The other morning I found I had a leftover grilled chicken thigh, so I made a faux "fried rice" using TVP (textured vegetable protein). I rehydrated the TVP with chicken stock and added some peas, corn, onion, water chestnuts, and a scrambled egg. Topped it all with crispy chicken skin and some sriracha.

People look down on TVP, but ever since I did a 10 day survival course and basically ate nothing but TVP, I have a bit of a bent for it..think I'm going to get some this weekend, thanks!

Breakfast this morning was plain smoked salmon, on avocado and rye crackers, and a lot of black pepper:

2011-08-05 at 07.41.11.jpg

People look down on TVP, but ever since I did a 10 day survival course and basically ate nothing but TVP, I have a bit of a bent for it..think I'm going to get some this weekend, thanks!

RRO - Can't wait to see what you come up with!

yesterday: cheddar burger on an onion brioche bun with vidalia onion relish.

today: iced coffee so far but now i think it is time for a blt on potato bread. gotta go.........

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

percyn – it looks like they have stores in Yorktown and Williamsburg – not too far to go. I’d love to try those sausages.

RRO – I love the looks of that avocado and salmon breakfast!

Breakfast this morning for Mr. Kim:

med_gallery_3331_117_173062.jpg

an omelet with tomatoes, hot peppers, onions and cheese – nectarines on the side.

Mine:

med_gallery_3331_117_142847.jpg

Egg and bacon on toast. In the background is toast with the last of my beloved Little Scarlet strawberry preserves :sad: .

Kim, the BBQ sausage was from Jimmy's BBQ in Malvern, PA and as far as I know, they only have the one location (I could be wrong). However, many BBQ places make their own sausage, the best one I had was a jalapeno sausage in Austin, TX.

This morning, since I had some jumbo lump crab meat, I made Crab Eggs Benedict - with a schmear of bacon jam and sprinkled with smoked bacon salt.

CIMG0033-1200.jpg

CIMG0037-1200.jpg

percyn - I should have been more specific - the sausage I was talking about was the pretzel sausage from farther back. BTW - that is one gorgeous poached egg!

Ahh...my error. When the weather cools, I can mail you some of those pretzel dogs if you like. I am sure one can make it at home, especially easy if you find pretzel dough.

The eggs I used were from an organic, open pasture farm and the yolks seems to be more orange and hold their shape better. Bought another dozen yesterday, lets see how the new batch turns out.

Kim, I can't beleive you wen to England and didn't bring back Little Scarlett preserves!

I know. I could have kicked myself when I got home! They are $17 a JAR at amazon and almost $10 at a specialty store an hour away.

percyn - I should have been more specific - the sausage I was talking about was the pretzel sausage from farther back. BTW - that is one gorgeous poached egg!

Ahh...my error. When the weather cools, I can mail you some of those pretzel dogs if you like. I am sure one can make it at home, especially easy if you find pretzel dough.

The eggs I used were from an organic, open pasture farm and the yolks seems to be more orange and hold their shape better. Bought another dozen yesterday, lets see how the new batch turns out.

That would be great, percyn - there is a store in Williamsburg (just 45 minutes east of us), so if we don't get there in the next month, or so I'll let you know. Thank you!

Sunday was Mr. Kim’s birthday! Breakfast was roasted white peach and cream cheese stuffed croissants French toast style with Benton’s bacon:

med_gallery_3331_119_284445.jpg

Topped with maple/caramel syrup:

med_gallery_3331_119_113389.jpg

I've made this with bananas and strawberries before - this was the first time I've used peaches and I think it was the best.

Tofu lightly browned in a dry skillet warmed with a caponata style prep I had in the fridge. The sauce contained very ripe homegrown tomatoes, Japanese eggplant also from the garden, serrano and habanero chiles (habanero halved for flavor and removed), onion, garlic, dried cranberries (no raisins in the pantry), fish sauce (no anchovies either), brined nasturtium seed pods (in lieu of capers) and a touch of red wine and balsamic vinegars. Topped it with some snipped Italian parsley and a few croutons. It really hit the spot with the contrasting flavors and textures.

DSCN1163.JPG

Genkinaonna – just tell me the date – I’ve always longed to see Oregon; everyone I know who has been has fallen in love with it.

Soba – that tomato and yogurt salad is one of the most beautiful things you’ve ever posted (and that’s saying something).

My mother was up last weekend looking at apartments – we ate out every meal except breakfast on Sunday, which was a repeat of Mr. Kim’s birthday breakfast since we are still getting really good stone fruit:

med_gallery_3331_117_169294.jpg

Roasted white peach stuffed croissant French toast, bacon and grapes.

Breakfast yesterday morning was eggs, sausage and biscuits. Mr. Kim’s plate:

med_gallery_3331_117_373448.jpg

I added a tomato biscuit to my plate:

med_gallery_3331_117_161552.jpg

This morning was basically the same meal before hitting the yard with rakes, brooms and a chain saw. Irene blasted through last night and left us with a huge tree limb through our shed roof, but nothing else, thank goodness! Hope everyone in her path here at eG can say the same!

Threestars, if it makes you feel any better, I had an oscar meyer hot dog and coffee for breakfast today...surely not the stuff of eGullet fame... :rolleyes:

If you ate pasta and antipasto, would you still be hungry? ~Author Unknown