• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast! The most important meal of the day (2004-2011)

percyn

Between kayb and Zeemanb’s blog, I have been DREAMING of bacon jam. So I’ve got kayb’s recipe on the stove right now. Guess I’ll have to throw together some of Jerry’s cheese and herb poppers, too! Important question here: Bacon Jam – served warm or cold?

Warm! I just scoop out what I want to use, put it on what I want to use it on, and run it in the toaster or the microwave. Or you can microwave enough to serve in a container. You don't need it really warm, just enought take the chill off and make it pliable.

Let me know what you think. I'll be anxious to hear.

OMG. Thanks to you and Jerry, I now have to quit work and make bacon jam all the time. I can NEVER be without this stuff. And I just made it with Neuske's - I think that when I finally get some Benton's the roof will blow off my house. I don't know whether to bless you or curse you. I guess I'll bless you and THANK you, dear! :laugh:

gfweb – I like your ‘old school’ breakfast very much. As much as I love bacon, sausage is really my very favorite breakfast meat and those potatoes look perfect. Were they parboiled before frying?

Jan – that salmon looks gorgeous and the addition of the hollandaise puts it over the top!

percyn – your pizza with the egg gave me a real ‘duh’ moment. I hardly EVER make my own pizza, but we order it all the time. I keep thinking that the next time I make one, I should add an egg, but never thought of putting it on leftover pizza. What a great idea!

kayb – since Mr. Kim got into smoking, we almost always have some pulled pork in the freezer. I’m always looking for ways to use it. I’ve put it on cornbread waffles, but never thought of under eggs! Wonderful!

deensiebat – those pancakes are just gorgeous!

Breakfast this morning was steak and eggs:

med_gallery_3331_114_135993.jpg

Leftover steak from last night. Mr. Kim’s eggs were cooked in some of the jalapeno compound butter that he made awhile back. Plus tomatoes and Swiss & onion bread.

Mine included a breakfast favorite from my childhood:

med_gallery_3331_114_60966.jpg

Tomatoes on toast with a dollop of mayo. I wasn’t much for breakfast as a kid, but if there were good tomatoes, Momma could always tempt me with this.

Between kayb and Zeemanb’s blog, I have been DREAMING of bacon jam. So I’ve got kayb’s recipe on the stove right now. Guess I’ll have to throw together some of Jerry’s cheese and herb poppers, too! Important question here: Bacon Jam – served warm or cold?

Oh that looks good.

I cheated on the potatoes and par-microwaved them before frying. :-)

Percyn,

Somebody does manufacture and market bacon jam. I bought some last year and mentioned it in a post back then. Can't recall which topic.

I purchased mine from ChefShop.com

but it is now available at Amazon.com.

I have also heard rumors of a Bourbon Bacon Marmalade that is supposed to debut in time for the holiday shopping season.

Edited by andiesenji (log)

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Percyn,

Somebody does manufacture and market bacon jam. I bought some last year and mentioned it in a post back then. Can't recall which topic.

I purchased mine from ChefShop.com

but it is now available at Amazon.com.

I have also heard rumors of a Bourbon Bacon Marmalade that is supposed to debut in time for the holiday shopping season.

Thanks for the info andiesenji.

Scotty, is that a stuffed french toast or an egg sandwich?

Breakfast at Stanley's in New Orleans. It's in Jackson Square and overlooks St. Louis Cathedral -- you can see its vague outline through the watery windows.

July 30, 2011 266.jpg

July 30, 2011 264.jpg

I had the Eggs Stanley, which was delicious. The oysters were cooked to perfection, and so were the eggs! It was terrific.

July 30, 2011 267.jpg

July 30, 2011 269.jpg

July 30, 2011 270.jpg

This place is great. I believe La Madeleine was at this location. I'm thankful Stanley's is here now. Definitely a spot to visit when you are in town.

July 30, 2011 262.jpg

WOW!!!! :wub: Between this and the dinner thread i need to fry me some oysters sooner rather than later...How does Creole hollandaise differ to normal hollandaise?

"Experience is something you gain just after you needed it" ....A Wise man

percyn – did you buy that pretzel wrapped sausage or make it? That looks so good! And what is this leftover crab cake of which you speak? I’ve never heard of such a thing :laugh: . Seriously, though – what a perfect poached egg!

Andie – I Googled Bourbon Bacon Marmalade and all the recipes that I found were basically the same as Bacon Jam. I was hoping for something different – something clear with bits of bacon suspended in it. Someone should get right on that :biggrin: .

Parmhero – love, love, LOVE fried salami and rye toast! I sometimes spread some cream cheese on the toast and make a salami sandwich with it!

Rhonda – I SQUEALED out loud when I saw the Stanley sign! We had breakfast there twice on our trip and loved it. I thought that the hollandaise was some of the best I’ve ever had – and I loved the ‘pourability’ – especially since mine always turns out the consistency of mayo :blink: !

Breakfast this morning:

med_gallery_3331_117_54217.jpg

Scrambled eggs, bacon, orange, croissant and Nutella.

percyn – did you buy that pretzel wrapped sausage or make it? That looks so good! And what is this leftover crab cake of which you speak? I’ve never heard of such a thing :laugh: . Seriously, though – what a perfect poached egg!

Kim, the pretzel sausage was from Philly Soft Pretzel Factory, a chain with a few locations around here. It is basically a spicy sausage and cheese wrapped in a pretzel dough. Think pigs in a pretzel blanket.

The "leftover crabcake" is a rare sighting here as well, but the generous portions allowed me to plan for breakfast while still having dinner :wink:

These eggs are from an award winning place which sells free roaming, free range chickens to all the top restaurants. The yolk seems to much deeper and orange and it holds together quite well.

Percyn, I believe that's the finest use to which I've ever seen a leftover crab cake put. It'd be worth making too many, for leftovers the next day.

Rhonda, I can't place the restaurant but will most assuredly hunt for it when I'm next there. Where is it from Cafe DuMonde and TuJacques?

RobirdsTX, a breakfast taco like that would NOT make me miss the tortilla!

Here on the hillside, it was fried cheese grits, an over easy egg, a yeast roll with bacon jam, and a slice of fresh tomato. New batch of bacon jam. I think I got it too sweet. Got to figure out how to add more bacon, I guess, and tone down the sweet.

062.JPG

Last weekend,which I never posted, I made cheese biscuits and had the last of the old batch of bacon jam.

057.JPG

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Kay, at Cafe du Monde, you're just a block from it. if Cafe du Monde is 12:00, then Stanley is at 6:00. Walk straight across the street at Cafe du Monde and keep walking straight. You'll be walking on the side of the park with artists everywhere. Stanley is at the end of the alley. It's just before you run into Muriel's.

Bon appetit!

Rhonda

Kay, at Cafe du Monde, you're just a block from it. if Cafe du Monde is 12:00, then Stanley is at 6:00. Walk straight across the street at Cafe du Monde and keep walking straight. You'll be walking on the side of the park with artists everywhere. Stanley is at the end of the alley. It's just before you run into Muriel's.

Bon appetit!

Rhonda

Got it! Thanks!

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Funny, that's what I said to the colleague who looked at me most disapprovingly while I was eating it: "Don't blame me pal, Percy made me do it!" :biggrin:

Actually, he was also the one who felt the need to suggest that it was a most unlady-like thing to eat, at which point I was compelled to inform him that he was mistaking me for someone who cared. :rolleyes: