• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast! The most important meal of the day (2004-2011)

percyn

A sticky rice zhoong from my local Thai grocery. They make a couple different varieties, but since I don't read any Thai, it's always a bit of a roulette as to what I'll end up with (which I like!)

This one was lemongrass sausage, peanuts, shiitake mushrooms, caramel pork, dried shrimp and little nuggets of chilli. Yum!

2011-06-29 at 08.00.14.jpg

RRO – Except for the mushrooms, that sounds incredible to me! Is it served hot or cold?

I dreamed this up for breakfast this morning:

med_gallery_3331_117_143568.jpg

Breakfast bruschetta – toasted French bread slices, tomato jam and bacon. This is a keeper – definitely worth doing again and again.

Served with poached eggs:

med_gallery_3331_117_265864.jpg

Probably a little overdone for some folks, but perfect for us.

Rhubarb and stem ginger crumble. With buffalo yoghurt on the side.

Sounds scrumptious - and fruit is always a healthy choice I say.

Fun with odds and ends . . . and how to avoid cleaning the garage.

Leftover potatoes, chopped up and fried with a sauce of chipotles, tomatoes, garlic, pepper, cumin, cinnamon, and Mexican oregano. When the hash cooled down I scrambled in some eggs and then topped the lot with more Mexican oregano and Gorgonzola cheese.

gallery_42956_2536_56539.jpg

040-1.JPG

Eggs fried in French butter, sunnyside-up, served with crispy toast and heirloom tomato salad.

I make some variation of this just about every weekend the entire time that tomatoes are available at the Greenmarket. Usually serve the eggs on top of the salad (which in turn is spooned over the toast).

It's my favorite way to eat breakfast.

Heirloom tomato salad: 2 small to medium-sized heirloom tomatoes, diced; 1 small cucumber, diced; 1 shallot, minced; juice of half a lemon; 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil; salt and pepper, to taste; chopped fresh herbs (I used oregano and garlic chives, but other choices such as parsley, tarragon and basil are great, too). Combine all ingredients in a small bowl. Stir, then use as desired.

Soba – beautiful tomato salad and I really like the idea of serving it atop toast. Kinda like a breakfast panzanella.

robirdstx – sounds like a GREAT breakfast and I love chicken and avocado together.

Breakfast this morning was a little freezer-organizing produced bit of serendipity:

med_gallery_3331_117_37007.jpg

Some of my MIL’s Hot Cross Buns from Easter. They were still delicious and tender.

Salvadorean breakfast cakes, aka quesadillas (I always thought a quesadilla was a tortilla with cheese and other fillings!), courtesy of the Food52 gluten-free cookoff recently. I did not have the called-for rice flour, so I used masa harina, which gave them a nice corn muffin-ish texture. With ripe strawberries and strawberry yogurt.

002.JPG

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

I made baltic herring curry for breakfast...

Looks great - appetizing and very nicely shot ! How did you go about making the dish ? Did the Baltic herring start out raw-pickled ?

QUIET!  People are trying to pontificate.

I just made some coconut milk base with some spices, cumin, curcumin, urfa pepper, ginger root, garlic etc. Then i gently simmered it until fragrant, and put the fish on pan and poached 2-3mins more and put it under a broiler for a minute. I kept the spices very mild, so the creamy coconut milk still tastes like what it is :)

I took the picture before broiling. Fish was fresh, i just seasoned it S&P and some lemon. I rolled it becouse i figured that way it wouldnt cook too fast.

Usually i buy my herrings whole :) But not this time. I like to have the roe, so i buy them whole. Another nice little fish is smelt. Its local fish here, but somehow very underappriciated here. Whenever i see it, i buy many kiloes, and make rollmops out of them, and panfry. Its truly great little fish :) And the roe is beautiful.

I live in western Finland. I usually mix the roe with smetana and bunch of herbs. Very traditional. Then maybe roll it into gravlax if i have some. Sometimes i just eat it by the spoonful. Its actually my favorite dessert :) Do you have some more creative ways to use roe?

I live in western Finland. I usually mix the roe with smetana and bunch of herbs.... Do you have some more creative ways to use roe?

Smetana ? I had to look that up :unsure::smile:

The only way I've used roe in my own cooking is the way you see linked in my last post - and of course that's milt, or 'white roe' as it's called. We get the true roe in Japan in New Year's cooking, and occasionally in sushi. I don't find the hard style served at New Year to be very palatable (unappealing mouthfeel, and tastes like cricket bats, to my mind), and run-of-the-mill stuff of the same character laid on sushi rice isn't any better. Now and again, though (like I did yesterday) you come across a good (i.e. a non-preserved ?) one, and I think it's also herring roe that's sometimes served up on the seaweed to which it was found naturally attached, and that's more reliably worthwhile.

The fish you had certainly looked beautiful. Which kind of roe/'roe' are you talking about ?

Edited by Blether (log)

QUIET!  People are trying to pontificate.