• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast! The most important meal of the day (2004-2011)

percyn

I've been documenting this over on my food blog here, but here's a couple of breakfasts that I've truly enjoyed:

Eggs on Toast with portobello, garlic, onion, tomato and Gruyère:

DSC02162.JPG

Huevos Rancheros with anaheim, hatch and serrano:

DSC02182.JPG

I think eggs on toast and huevos rancheros are both variations of the same illness. ;)

PastaMeshugana

"The roar of the greasepaint, the smell of the crowd."

"What's hunger got to do with anything?" - My Father

My first Novella: The Curse of Forgetting

pastameshugana Oh man, those yolks look like the perfect consistency, spreading like a thick rich sauce, please tell me your secret, I can never get my fried eggs that perfect.

Edited by Deus Mortus (log)

"My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them."

-Winston Churchill

pastameshugana Oh man, those yolks look like the perfect consistency, spreading like a thick rich sauce, please tell me your secret, I can never get my fried eggs that perfect.

Ha! Actually I'm a bad egg-cooker. I need to learn how to poach/etc. All I do is put them in a non-stick pan with olive oil or butter, then splash a little water on the exposed part of the pan and cover it. The water steams them from the top while the bottom cooks so I don't have to flip them. I would imagine there has to be a better way...

PastaMeshugana

"The roar of the greasepaint, the smell of the crowd."

"What's hunger got to do with anything?" - My Father

My first Novella: The Curse of Forgetting

Ha! Actually I'm a bad egg-cooker. I need to learn how to poach/etc. All I do is put them in a non-stick pan with olive oil or butter, then splash a little water on the exposed part of the pan and cover it. The water steams them from the top while the bottom cooks so I don't have to flip them. I would imagine there has to be a better way...

It's the other way for me, I can prepare eggs pretty damn well in any way except pan frying, I tried that method, but it always results in either soggy whites or an overdone yolk, no matter what heat I put it on, it's becoming a bit of a white whale for me...

"My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them."

-Winston Churchill

I cheated; the previous night's dessert was so good I had another helping for breakfast. Best cake I ever made (recipe here), topped with fresh peach compote and barely sweetened creme fraiche. Yum!

cake n peaches.jpg

Edited by kayb (log)

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

A few cloves of garlic fried in olive oil, a couple of trays of maitake mushrooms cut up & added, black pepper, the stock from the other day's grey mullet; a few tomatoes crushed in & fresh-picked oregano leaves. Simmered just long enough to slice & toast the toast:

DSCF0890.jpg

New breakfast lighting effect courtesy of yesterday's washing still hanging on the line.

QUIET!  People are trying to pontificate.

Oh man, you just made me wish I could get some proper bagels here Holland, that looks bloody great!

-Winston Churchill

A few cloves of garlic fried in olive oil, a couple of trays of maitake mushrooms cut up & added, black pepper, the stock from the other day's grey mullet; a few tomatoes crushed in & fresh-picked oregano leaves. Simmered just long enough to slice & toast the toast.

Soft Scrambled Eggs w/Chives on a Bagel

Love your work, Blether. Speaks right to my "non breakfast foods for breakfast" streak. Though your egg shots always make me reconsider that, percyn!

Breakfast here was beetroot, carrot and green onion fritters, cooked in goose fat and doused with my new favourite condiment: yuzu tabasco! :wub: It's like liquid yuzu kosho, only hotter. I love this stuff, but am having to get friends in Japan to mail it to me..haven't found an Australian sauce source.

2011-06-12 at 10.31.45.jpg

2011-06-12 at 10.27.08.jpg

Breakfast here was beetroot, carrot and green onion fritters...

Thanks, RRO. For my part, I always love your creations, and these fritters keep that tradition robustly alive.

QUIET!  People are trying to pontificate.

I've been documenting this over on my food blog here, but here's a couple of breakfasts that I've truly enjoyed:

Eggs on Toast with portobello, garlic, onion, tomato and Gruyère:

DSC02162.JPG

I must have this now!

056.JPG

Wild turkey egg omelette with nasturtiums and pea shoot flowers; sautéed Tuscan kale with garlic, Umbrian olive oil and rice vinegar.

Warm silken tofu with green onion, chopped mustard tuber, leek flower sauce, black bean chilli oil, Sichuan pepper and crunchy deep fried soybeans. A little soy sauce to finish. And two cups of very strong ginger tea in a seems-to-be-failing attempt to ward off an oncoming cold.

2011-06-19 at 10.54.28.jpg

Edited by rarerollingobject (log)

RRO - looks great - are the soybeans a packaged product or do you fry them up?

Packaged - the English label on them (they're a Chinese product) said 'soybeans' but I have been pondering this deeply for the last 10 minutes and I actually think they're broad beans (limas? favas?). Too big to be soybeans. I no longer have the packaging or I'd bully someone into translating properly, but they taste a little like those Indian snack mixes that are coated in chickpea flour and fried.

SobaAddict70, that looks lovely..is Tuscan kale the same as cavolo nero?

A much less refined breakfast for me than Soba's plate of beauty; bacon, tomato and HP sauce on a toasted roll.

And lots of strong coffee. And a Bloody Mary.

2011-06-18 at 09.42.52.jpg

Nope. Not remotely close, at least according to the vendor whom I bought it from.

Today:

Not a very good pic though.

010.JPG

Buttered toasted sourdough bread, Jersey tomato and Kirby cucumber salad (tomatoes, cucumber, lemon juice, extra-virgin olive oil, sea salt, black pepper, garlic chives) and farm eggs, sunny side-up.

I had a chunk of my birthday cake from last night - nothing quite like it! I missed out on it last night, as I had food poisoning from an unfortuate concha at the seafood place where I lunched. Boo-urns. However, on the bright side, the Chocoamor cake is best on its second day!

ChocCakeSlice.jpg

Elizabeth Campbell, baking 10,000 feet up at 1° South latitude.

My eG Food Blog (2011)My eG Foodblog (2012)

I have been out of things for way too long! You folks are making some amazing breakfasts! I’m embarrassed to post my little meal.

Father’s day breakfast (by request) –

Festival of Sausages:

med_gallery_3331_117_283263.jpg

Spicy patties and regular links.

Fried eggs and hashbrowns:

med_gallery_3331_117_244232.jpg

(got those eggs a little overdone, huh? :rolleyes: )

percyn – nice ‘pizza’ – I will have to remember the naan trick!

For breakfast this morning, I took a shortcut and made Bisquick ham and cheese biscuits:

med_gallery_3331_117_305174.jpg

They were actually pretty good and lighter than the from-scratch ones that I made the other night for my strawberry shortcake :rolleyes: !

med_gallery_3331_117_99740.jpg

Scrambled eggs, biscuits and we finished up the last of the gacky turkey bacon. I lie, actually – we didn’t finish it - after breakfast, we tossed the rest of it. It is really awful.