• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast! The most important meal of the day (2004-2011)

percyn

Lovely breakfasts everyone! I’m a sucker for those yolk shots, too, and Soba, your poached eggs are perfection!

Yesterday’s breakfast:

med_gallery_3331_117_191779.jpg

Breakfast pockets made with ‘whomp biscuits’, sausage, eggs and hash browns. I haven’t made these for years. It comes from an old ‘Taste of Home’ recipe that I customized. I used to make them for brunches because you could make the filling ahead of time and even put the pocket together and refrigerate an hour or so ahead of time. I’ve even made 3-biters out of regular biscuits. They still taste awfully good and with a combination of careful microwaving and toaster oven toasting, they even heat up as good leftovers.

While at the Greenmarket today I got a few hydroponic tomatoes on a whim.

Tomato season isn't until late June when they start appearing by the bucketloads. Heirloom tomatoes generally don't come in until August. And I was jonesing for them.

This is my favorite way to eat them ...

039.JPG

Eggs sunnyside-up, fried in unsalted butter, over tomato salad (chopped tomatoes, white shallots, onion chives, salt, pepper, extra-virgin olive oil), over crispy black olive-sourdough toast

So satisfying and utterly delicious.

Love the egg action, and both fried rices. Yum.

Breakfast for me was scones, with cherry jam and cream. By no means the best scones I've ever made, but given I was using an unfamiliar oven, and had no butter so cobbled them together from flour, Greek yoghurt, sparkling mineral water and sugar (a la the lemonade/cream method of scone-making, but without the lemonade, or the cream!) - I was pretty pleased with them! Tender and fluffy in all the right ways.

af264618-f057-8b2a.jpg

Soba – that breakfast is positively gorgeous! What a fantastic photo – I swear I can taste those eggs and tomatoes!

RRO – lovely scones! I’m so looking forward to a real cream tea when we go to England next month!

Easter breakfast:

med_gallery_3331_117_16009.jpg

Scrambled eggs and croissants with this amazing stuff that the Easter Bunny put in my basket:

med_gallery_3331_117_52344.jpg

It is chocolate/raspberry jam from Spain. Just incredibly good and rich with a deep chocolate and fruit flavor. I can’t describe how good this stuff was on a croissant!

Not to mention, our eggs:

med_gallery_3331_122_107835.jpg

Edited by Kim Shook (log)

Gorgeous eggs, Kim.

I did not boil a single egg this year. :shock:

I've been invited to dinner with friends so no cooking today. I had a very small breakfast because I know the dinner foods will be varied and extensive. (starts at 2:00 p.m., goes till no one can consume another bite - 56 GUESTS expected, plus the family +- 10, depending on who is home.)

I'm sure I will have lots of leftovers "forced" one me. :wub: And as some will be suitable for breakfast, I will try to remember to take photos tomorrow.

Edited by andiesenji (log)

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Sticky Lemon and Lime Buns. I don't have much of a sweet tooth to begin with, and was on a sugar high for hours after eating two of these. Fairly easy to make too, once you can get past the horror of putting 2 cups of sugar (!) in 12 buns.

31bc35f7-2929-5ec5.jpg

rro - OMG! I don't usually do sweet for breakfast but the photo of that sticky bun could change my mind!

This morning I wanted an omelette but my folding skills are pathetic, so I made an unfolded one with diced ham, green onion, and shredded cheddar.

Omelette-Unfolded.jpg

rro - OMG! I don't usually do sweet for breakfast but the photo of that sticky bun could change my mind!

Thank you - the recipe I used is here, though I substituted lime for much of the lemon. I don't bake that much at all, so I was a bit apprehensive that they'd turn out un-rock hard, but they were so delicious.

I had some left over salad of peas, radishes, chilli, lebanese cucucmber, alfafa sprouts, sweetcorn & cherry tomato so stuffed them into arabic flatbread with avery well fried egg ( didnt want any drips as i was sunbathing :-) ) and habanero tabasco - pretty good and kept me filled up most of the day

001.JPG

"Experience is something you gain just after you needed it" ....A Wise man

this morning john wanted eggs of some kind so i made an omelet with some of the leftover asparagus from last night's dinner and some canadian bacon. served with toasted whole wheat goldfish bread :rolleyes:

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

huevos rancheros 2.jpg

Huevos rancheros. Over easy for me, scrambled for the teenager. And smoked gouda grits.

huevos rancheros.jpg

Aaaannnnnddd....the money shot.

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

first breakfast was a protein shake with a couple of tablespoons of olive oil.

second breakfast (which I'm eating now as I type this) is a fried egg sandwich with American cheese and sausage on a kaiser roll, with a dash of Tabasco; orange juice; and a banana.

A couple of breakfasts from the last few days:

Egg noodles with shredded duck, lup cheong, green onions, shiitakes and ginger. Drizzled afterwards with my chilli sauce of choice, as seen lurking in the background.

ducknoodles.jpg

And this morning's zucchini, radish and mint fritters, with ginger sweet chilli sauce for dunking.

2011-05-14 at 10.34.47.jpg

Jenni, could you describe what exactly your breakfast was? It looks delicious but i must confess i have never heard of idli or sambar...

"Experience is something you gain just after you needed it" ....A Wise man