• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast! The most important meal of the day (2004-2011)

percyn

This is actually kind of, uh, a second breakfast.

After a swim in the ocean pool, and the obligatory post-swim pork and fennel sausage roll, a still raging hangover called for more pork 'n' carbs, so this is a "bacon and green onion caramelised in maple syrup and fish sauce, topped with a fried egg and sriracha on rice" emergency concoction.

baconrice.jpg

Edited by rarerollingobject (log)

Breadmaker white; roast pork loin with garlic from a few days ago, last May's homemade onion chutney mixed with mayo; chingensai leaves "nucleaire". Tomato juice & Lea & Perrins out of frame. The usual Kilimanjaro press coffee.

DSCF0711.jpg

ETA: Jeez, RRO. If we're going out drinking, can I stay for breakfast ? :rolleyes::biggrin::wink: - or is that a pleasure reserved for hobbits ?

Edited by Blether (log)

QUIET!  People are trying to pontificate.

Went for a little "breakfast dessert" with rich-yet-light cinnamon chocolate chip sour cream coffeecake:

Looks great! I tried this recipe out this past week for a colleague's birthday. I love the texture of the cake, but with the filling I found it overall a little too sweet for my tastes. I look forward to experimenting with modifications.

Corinna Heinz, aka Corinna

Check out my adventures, culinary and otherwise at http://corinnawith2ns.blogspot.com/

ETA: Jeez, RRO. If we're going out drinking, can I stay for breakfast ? :rolleyes::biggrin::wink: - or is that a pleasure reserved for hobbits ?

Why, Blether, you devil! :laugh:

Breakfast here was simply the last of the summer avocadoes on rye bread, with flaky salt, lime juice and black pepper. And because life was meant to be spicy, a whole lotta habanero Tabasco.

avocado.jpg

That cake does sound & look great. And avocadoes on toast, RRO ? Grr.

Here I'm indulging in ethnic food. While my camera's in for repair (and it turns out my spare, old camera has given up the ghost entirely), I've an obscene sliced-sausage sandwich on extra-long-proofed breadmaker white (I remember now why I'd stopped doing that, it's like trying to slice embroidery).

I've put in so much sausage it's sticking out the sides, there's HP sauce on it and breakfast tea on the side. Vegetables ? What are 'vegetables' ? And the swimming pool's closed for the time-being, too :huh::sad:

My homemade sliced-sausage is the business now, though :cool::smile: - peppery hot, meaty, rich, crisp, and with that essence of authenticity in the perfected spicing. Just a wee bit more polishing needed.

Edited by Blether (log)

Well I frittered away my time this morning in aimless pursuits. Last time I amde a gratin (back before the earthquake) I made extra and put a good pint of cheese sauce in the fridge. And I'm especially glad I did, what with the disruption in milk supplies.

So in the remaining half hour, a quick breakfast of leeks gratin, dusted from a great heat with cayenne, & a 2-egg omelette with a little marjoram from the herb garden. Rather a spiffy combo. Sweet iced lemon tea poured from a bottle (Kirin's Gogo no Kocha), and I'll have hot tea & toast to follow. Will it be the marmalade, one of the curds or the Waitrose raspberry jam ?

Edited by Blether (log)

Here: faggot & clapshot, a microwave reheat (rather than a comedy duo). Camera still in for repair. Backup camera... decided to work for me today !

DSCF0017.JPG

Couldn't be bothered zapping the faggot juice separately, so we get this semi-meltdown situation that's suddenly so fashionable. Before you cringe, know that that faggot is a riot of peppery offal with the nutty goodness of oatmeal and hints of sage & lemon thyme. It's a shame the camera missed the wealth of rising steam. I could go out and work in the fields now, except for being a white-collar neb.

Ann_T, your food and photos are always so enticing. Can I ask you for the Canadian's take on peameal bacon ? Potato pancakes, grr again.

Ann_T, your food and photos are always so enticing. Can I ask you for the Canadian's take on peameal bacon ? Potato pancakes, grr again.

OOOH Peameal bacon was what I miss most about Ontario. It is popular everywhere in Ontario but apparently not so much in British Columbia. I grew up with it.

Made from the same cut of pork as Canadian Back Bacon, but rather than smoking the pork loin, Peameal bacon is brined/cured and then rolled in cornmeal. It needs to be sliced and fried or baked as a roast.

Love it in toasted tomato and peameal bacon sandwiches. Canadian Back Bacon will do in a pinch but it isn't' the same.

638018253_vMKma-L.jpg

The new Walmart of all places sells peameal bacon in one kilo pieces. So now I can always satisfy my craving.

Ann

Moe's breakfast this morning.

1232888327_gQVaH-L.jpg

Canadian Peameal Bacon, fried egg

and Potato Pancakes

Ann, Moe is one lucky guy. Judging by all the cooking you do for him, he must weigh 350+...well worth it I'm sure!

I couldn't resist Deena's picture of her Cinnamon-Chocolate Chip Coffee Cake for long. Made it for breakfast yesterday morning.

It didn't disappoint. Moe and I both had ours with a strong cup of French Press coffee and I shared some of the cake with my next door neighbours. It was a big hit with everyone.

1236535100_3Nayd-L.jpg

Thanks Deena.

Ann

I don’t have much to offer – my breakfast was eaten at lunch time and consisted of leftover garlic shrimp and buttered saltines! BUT, I had to comment on Moe’s breakfast and Deena’s coffee cake (again). Ann, that breakfast is, to me, THE quintessential breakfast. It has everything that is necessary to me – perfectly cooked egg, pork and potato (I’d probably add one of those bagels in the next picture, but I’m a double starch girl). I went and searched out a source for peameal bacon and hope to have some soon. They offer it slice or as a roast. Which do you recommend?

And I am making Deena’s coffee cake tomorrow. All those pictures were just too much for me.

Breakfast out with my girls, in Nashville, where I'm visiting, at Pfunky Griddle, a neat little place where they bring you pitchers of batter, your requested add-ins, and you cook your own pancakes (cute little mini-hibachi-grill tables). Or, in my case, you cook your own potato cakes (mine with cheddar, feta, and black olives; I wish I'd ordered ham as well). I can testify, after sampling a kid's pancake, that Reese's Pieces are the bomb for pancake add-ins!

IMAG0040.jpg

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

sherrid – those pancakes look lovely and very familiar to me. My stepdad is English and those pancakes were a favorite of mine. I loved the slight crunch of the sugar and the spark that he always made with the lemon peel and a match!

kayb – what a GREAT idea! I’ve done a French toast ‘bar’ with fondue pots for a brunch, but never thought to do pancakes. Hmmm – only have one griddle, would need to borrow more :wink: . Have a wonderful visit with your family!

Breakfast this morning:

med_gallery_3331_117_142176.jpg

med_gallery_3331_117_243012.jpg

Scrambled eggs, Benton’s bacon and THE Cinnamon-Chocolate Chip Sour Cream Coffee Cake. My layering technique obviously needs some work (seriously – how hard should it be to figure out HALF of something?), but this was delicious!

Red curry omelet with anchovies. I found galangal (!) at the grocery store, chopped up a hunk and made a paste with chiles, garlic, lime zest, and mace, supplemented with Mae Ploy red curry paste. I fried the paste and a little brown sugar in ghee before adding the eggs.

To complete the culture clash theme, second breakfast was toasted and buttered cinnamon-raisin bagels.

396059855.jpg

My first congee! Very exciting. Boiled 2/3 cup washed jasmine rice in 9X water with a chunk of ginger and 1 1/2 tsp salt for 90 minutes; added slivered ginger, green peppercorns, steamed eggs and sriracha.

Unfortunately did not have chicken stock to hand - next time. This was still very satisfying.

congee.jpg

Reeses pieces pancakes sound amazing. This might be a nice birthday breakfast next week for DBF (I have to work that day, but pancakes are easy enough if I plan!) Thanks for the recommendation, Kay!

I'm so excited everyone is trying that sour cream coffee cake recipe. I recently discovered it as well, and thought the texture was amazing. Will definitely be making it again. Kim, I didn't take a photo of mine, but I had trouble with the layering as well. Am I the only one who thought the filling/topping was a little too sweet?

Beautiful congee, Patrick! My first (and only) attempt at congee (overnight in a crockpot) was a huge bust. I was so disappointed! I will have to try your method.

Corinna Heinz, aka Corinna

Check out my adventures, culinary and otherwise at http://corinnawith2ns.blogspot.com/

Red curry omelet with anchovies...

That looks & sounds superb, Bruce. I've been playing with omelettes too, lately, most often simple-parmesan jobs, but your multi-curry with fresh galangal sings out.

Likewise everyone's breakfasts - I've been looking away from the sour-cream cake because sour cream is such a luxury round here. Ann_T, you did the toast-bacon-tomato thing on purpose, didn't you ?

• Like 1

Zucchini, mint and haloumi cheese fritters. Look pretty innocuous, eh? But lurking in that sauce (Greek yoghurt, doctored up with lime juice and salt) are EIGHT chopped Thai birdseye chillis, the ear-ringingly hot ones.

I was in (blissful) hell eating these.

zuke.jpg

. . . EIGHT chopped Thai birdseye chillis, the ear-ringingly hot ones.

I was in (blissful) hell eating these.

I swear - pretty much every one of your posts gives me a hankering. Not just the chiles (although that's a good start), but your flavor combinations always sound enticing.