• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast! The most important meal of the day (2004-2011)

percyn

Given that I'd just picked up fresh milk, eggs, cheese, butter, sausage and sorghum molasses from the Farmers' Market, I figured I'd come home and cook a pig-out breakfast featuring all of the above. Had I had locally milled flour, it would have been an all-local breakfast (well, except for the coffee).

003.JPG

Photo features what I was taught as the proper way to eat sorghum molasses: Put a pat of butter on the plate; pour a dollop of molasses over it. Blend the two with the blade of a table knife. Dab a bit on a biscuit, take a bite, repeat.

The egg reminded me of just how good a farm-fresh egg is.

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Herring are a winter thing here. Like other seafood, they get them to market in superb condition, and at the weekend I found this pair for 290yen, or about USD2.50:

DSCF0637.jpg

- which were about 10-12oz apiece. Scaled, gutted, de-boned and trimmed, salted, coated, and fried in bacon fat, they made "herrings in oatmeal" for Sunday's breakfast:

DSCF0638.jpg

Edited by Blether (log)

QUIET!  People are trying to pontificate.

Blether You have the most interesting breakfasts.

Hi, Ann_T. I like the big breakfast / small dinner pattern, when I can set my schedule up for life to work that way.

Your frittata looks like it would fit the breakfast bill nicely. What's the green ?

I wouldn't mind roast pork in the morning.

I'll give you a shout next time :smile:

Edited by Blether (log)

Breakfast this morning:

Eggs with bacon and chile verde sauce (homemade)

To me, the sauce makes the eggs taste "eggier" although it may only be my imagination.

HPIM3921.JPG

HPIM3922.JPG

HPIM3923.JPG

Attractive, tasty and healthy - lots of potassium, vitamins and flavonoids in the chile verde sauce.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

A treat. Canadian-produced bacon from Sofina Foods in Ontario, & fresh tomato, on buttered strong-Canadian-flour breadmaker white, with hot Ceylon tea with pasteurised milk.

DSCF0652.jpg

That has to be one of the most beautiful looking things I've ever seen! My belly just literally growled in response, I think it was saying "Heellllllo, sailor..."

(as I sit here at work gloomily sipping the only thing I had time to grab this morning, one of those tragic meal replacement shakes.. :sad:)

...That has to be one of the most beautiful looking things I've ever seen! My belly just literally growled in response, I think it was saying "Heellllllo, sailor..."

(as I sit here at work gloomily sipping the only thing I had time to grab this morning, one of those tragic meal replacement shakes.. :sad:)

Thanks for saying so :smile: I've said it in this thread before, but it's my favourite breakfast and has been since I was 5 or younger. Buttered toast, bacon, raw tomato... you have to eat it to believe it. By all means have some lettuce. Before or after.

Ouch on the shake. But you had better things to do somewhere along the line, right ?

Andiesenji I love the idea of chili verde sauce with eggs. Next time I make Pork chili verde I'll be stealing your idea.

Blether We share the same favourite breakfast. Being originally from Ontario, Peameal Bacon has always been my favourite. I can buy Canadian Back Bacon but peameal bacon was difficult to come by here on the west coast. Thankfully the new Walmart sells it by the Kilo piece. I thought I had died and gone to heaven the first time I found that they stocked as a regular item.

1202697040_bWDwL-M.jpg

We had toasted peameal bacon and tomato sandwiches for breakfast yesterday.

And this morning I made Moe crepes.

1202669199_x48XD-M.jpg

Today - a parmesan cheese omelette, and a head of chingensai (~bok choy) chopped and flash-fried in the bacon fat & fond. Toast & natsumikan marmalade again to follow, and tea.

Ann_T - ha ha ! That's three of us. Kim, you & me. Those both look delicious. Moe ? Moe, Moe... Moe. What's Moe ?

Edited by Blether (log)

Today - a parmesan cheese omelette, and a head of chingensai (~bok choy) chopped and flash-fried in the bacon fat & fond. Toast & natsumikan marmalade again to follow, and tea.

Ann_T - ha ha ! That's three of us. Kim, you & me. Those both look delicious. Moe ? Moe, Moe... Moe. What's Moe ?

Moe (Maurice) is my husband of many years. I guess I should have said ...... I made crepes for Moe's breakfast.

Ann

... Moe (Maurice) is my husband of many years...

Oops :biggrin: - from the UK I'm used to 'Mo' - and "Moe" (both vowels pronounced) is what the maids say in Japan's 'maid cafes', isn't it ?

Today's breakfast: a 100yen salted-and-dried (I mean bought that way) hokke. I don't usually keep daikon/mooli, but I had some small swede on hand, which is much the same thing, and grated a wee pile of that to drizzle ponzu over. And I added a wee spray of parsley, because yes sir, I'm a gaijin.

DSCF0675.jpg

Hi Percyn, thank you for your kind comment. The recipe for the poha is actually the latest post on my blog. If you would rather, I can post here though. It's a pretty standard kanda (onion) poha, though the addition of a few fennel seeds may be unusual to some - it seems to add a certain something :)