• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast! The most important meal of the day (2004-2011)

percyn

Nice eggs Kim! And I like the idea of Habanero salsa.

rarerollingobject - that egg in duck fat looks great. I would never have thought of adding radish, but I bet it tasted great.

andiesenji- had not heard them refered to as "gashouse eggs" but very delicious looking.

Bruce - great breakfasts as usual.

Today I had a Fried Egg w/Smoked Duck Breast. The egg was fried in some olive oil and duck fat.

CIMG9059-1200.jpg

CIMG9063-1200edited.jpg

Then I wanted to try this trick I read about which said adding a touch of acid to scrambled eggs makes them fluffy. So I added a touch (maybe 1/2 tsp per egg) of fresh squeezed orange juice. Did it fluff up more than usual? Well, I think there was a slight difference, particularly in the whites, but if it were a blind tasting, I am not sure I would have noticed the difference. Next time I will try a touch more acid as it really did not change the flavor.

Scrambled Egg w/Wild Boar Pate

CIMG9066-1200edited.jpg

Edited by percyn (log)

I'm camera-less, at the moment, but breakfast was cheese biscuits, bacon jam, scrambled eggs and bacon (doubled-up bacon was for the teen, who does not like bacon jam, and so I could have some to put in apple salad later on). Eggs just rise to another level when cooked in bacon fat....

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

percyn - crispy duck skin?! For breakfast? Awesome. :wub:

My breakfast was smoked trout "kedgeree". Quotation marks because I subbed grated cauliflower for the traditional rice, which I'd run out of. Kedgeree, if you're not familiar with it, is an old-fashioned English breakfast dish harking straight back to the time of colonial India; very Anglified-Indian. Main components being smoked fish, curry powder, boiled eggs and rice. It's one of the dishes my mother makes best so it's got all sorts of nostalgic associations.

Here, I sautéed an onion, garlic and some grated ginger till soft, added mustard seeds, garam masala, green cardamom pods, cinnamon sticks and turmeric, added the cauliflower, folded in some smoked trout chunks, and garnished with boiled eggs, red chilli and way too much dill.

kedgeree.JPG

Edited by rarerollingobject (log)

Very nice Kate. You are probably aware that the "traditional" Indian Kitchree (various spellings) is a fragrant rice dish usually containing yellow pulses or dal, spices and any other ingredients you have on hand (leftovers, etc).

This is usually eaten with lunch or dinner (as with most rice in Indian meals), but your version for breakfast looks great !!

Nice breakfasts rarerollingobject and robirdstx

Had one of my favorite breakfasts - Fried Egg w/Smoked Duck topped w/crispy duck skin

Thanks percyn

I'd like to try the smoked duck. Have you tried D'artagnan's Smoked Magret Duck Breast?

The crispy skin looks wonderful. Is it the skin from the smoked duck?

breakfast was eggs "butch" benedict made with some homemade english muffin bread, hollandaise sauce with some pimenton d'espice and canadian bacon. the eggs were poached and appropriately runny.

i could only eat half of mine so johnnybird finished it. i wonder if that is why he had to take a nap about noon?

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Further adventures with radish..radish and parsley hash browns, with a paprika'd fried egg.

moreradish.JPG

I like eggs, especially when fried in oil. I like paprika. I think I'd like paprika eggs!

Do you just make paprika oil and then fry the egg in it?

Pretty much. Just fry paprika in oil or butter, slide the egg in and sprinkle with a little more paprika. It's sort of a riff on this idea.

Very nice Kate. You are probably aware that the "traditional" Indian Kitchree (various spellings) is a fragrant rice dish usually containing yellow pulses or dal, spices and any other ingredients you have on hand (leftovers, etc).

This is usually eaten with lunch or dinner (as with most rice in Indian meals), but your version for breakfast looks great !!

I did know that, but I've never had it, not the proper sort. Would love to tho, might research how to make it. It's the quintessentially English smoked haddock/cod and boiled eggs version I know well, though I DID depart from my mother's recipe in refusing to use the traditional mild Keen's Curry Powder in favour of better and fresher spices and some heat from the chilli...my Indian riff on the English riff of an Indian dish..! :laugh:

Had one of my favorite breakfasts - Fried Egg w/Smoked Duck topped w/crispy duck skin

Thanks percyn

I'd like to try the smoked duck. Have you tried D'artagnan's Smoked Magret Duck Breast?

robirdstx, D'artgnan's smoked Duck breast is what I use (including the one above). I usually keep a couple in my freezer.

Thanks percyn

robirdstx, D'artgnan's smoked Duck breast is what I use (including the one above). I usually keep a couple in my freezer.

Great! I'll add some to my next order.

we were at john's office holiday party last night and had leftovers. some of his prime rib added to the potatoes from last night became his breakfast - steak and eggs with hash browns. served to him in bed. i wonder why the folk i know don't want their husbands to know what i do? (seriously - i am a early bird and he is a night owl and i am about ready to head out the door when he is ready to eat and watch the "Money Honey" each sunday morning)

i had a banana and two cups of coffee before hitting the gym.

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites